Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has been having problems with a little bit of backfiring when he lets off the gas. He went through his manual and he claimes it is either his valves ( they were done about 3 months ago) or the spark arrestor!! any one ever have an issue with the spark arrestor??? I work on engines all the time never delt with one....
His biggest problem is he rides a KAWASAKI !!! :r_c:

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
My buddy has been having problems with a little bit of backfiring when he lets off the gas. He went through his manual and he claimes it is either his valves ( they were done about 3 months ago) or the spark arrestor!! any one ever have an issue with the spark arrestor??? I work on engines all the time never delt with one....
His biggest problem is he rides a KAWASAKI !!! :r_c:
lmao..thier's his problem..he rides a kawasaki !..lmao....the spark arrestor has no play in back firing at all..all that does is keep the muffler from throwing sparks out the back , to keep them from catching weeds..grass..what not from catching fire..his problem is the carb most likely.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
If his exhaust packing saturated, he may need to change that. And if that is the case the spark arrestor could be clogged... I've seen it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would that cause backfiring? and when you say exhaust packing saturated do you mean with water i know he has buried it a few times

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
It gets saturated from oil and exhaust debris ect... Just happens over time.

Although I don't know if that would cause backfiring out of the exhaust...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Check to make sure the bolts that hold the exhaust onto the head aren't loose. Also, check to make sure the pipe doesn't have any cracks or leaks up anywhere close to the head. Both those things will make one backfire when you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a 2003 Honda Recon 250 and i am wondering how to take out the spark arrestor on my recon! sombody please help me
I believe it's the same as my 250ex, and it's just 3 (i wanna say 10mm screws) holding it onto the end of the pipe.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I have a 2003 Honda Recon 250 and i am wondering how to take out the spark arrestor on my recon! sombody please help me
If I'm not mistaken, the 250 Recon doesn't have a removable spark arrester. I think it just has the plug on the bottom of the muffler that you take out to clean the spark arrester. Take the plug out, hold a shop towel over the end of the muffler and rev the engine several times and then put the plug back in.

To be sure, look at the back of the muffler, if it has three bolts in the end, it has a removable spark arrester. If it has no bolts in the end, it's not removable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So would it be bad if I just removed the spark aresstor???? Besides the risk setting a field on fire.... Might sound better and maybe help it breath.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It gets saturated from oil and exhaust debris ect... Just happens over time.

Although I don't know if that would cause backfiring out of the exhaust...
Check to make sure the bolts that hold the exhaust onto the head aren't loose. Also, check to make sure the pipe doesn't have any cracks or leaks up anywhere close to the head. Both those things will make one backfire when you let off the throttle.
Breathing can certainly be a problem, if any of you guys work on brush cutters/ strimmers you'll know what I'm on about when the blasted thing doesn't rev up simply take great plessure in ripping the spark arrestor out of it! Not only does it not breath but the exhaust gases are compressed back into the cylinder creating low power and over heating so, his problem, apart from it being a kawaski, my pet hate, would appear to be weak fuel/ air ratio or like HELMUT says ,a loose or cracked exhaust. The backfiring is caused by fuel introduced into a hot exhaust on overrun and syphoning fresh oxygen in through the crack or loose flange. This wouldn't be a problem on fuel injection or carbs fitted with fuel cut off valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts