Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased my 11 y.o. an upgrade. He's fairly new to riding. The thing I noticed is that it isn't the most stable quad out there.

I'm looking into adding spacers to settle it a bit. Only paid $1200 and not looking to throw a bunch of money into it.

Do I just add to the front, rear, both? Recommended widths, brands? I picked up some idea of what not to buy - been searching the forum.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Personally I'd just fit them to the front, it would help fitting them to the rear but I don't think your son would ride fast enough for it to be viable.
Just a thought, you could fit a thumb throttle with a limit screw on to keep him at sensible speeds.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Usually on sport quads you can flip the rims and gain about 2 inches per side. You just have to flip the valve stem inside and seal it and then drill a new hole on the other side for another stem. You could also buy aftermarket rims with a different offset. As far as widening a 250ex goes there are not alot of aftermarket a-arm options. DiamondJCustoms makes widening brackets for your stock a-arms. They are a good qiality option. Good luck! And welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. He had his first roll over tonight. At a very slow speed. No harm done. Have a set of front spacers in my eBay cart, just wasn't sure how wide or if to purchase rears to help stabilize.

What did you mean by fast enough to make it viable?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
To make the rear wider your options are limited, spacers or a new wider axle. At most (without stacking) you'll gain 2" either side with spacers which in my opinion you wouldn't notice on the rear end.
I've ridden a few sports/race ATV's all with different mods and I could only tell on the one that it was far more stable when the guy fitted a 4" wider axle plus 2" spacers. He also fitted 6" wider A arms up front.
A Yamaha Raptor 660 I rode had a stick rear end and 2 1/2" spacers up front, I rode before and after the spacers were fitted and it definitely made a noticeable improvement to the front end diving and digging in when cornering. The same Raptor was fitted with 2" rear spacers at a later date and I couldn't tell any difference.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Riding technique will go along way as well.

Learning to shift your weight where it needs to be at the right time is a crucial part of safely riding an ATV, and a great way to avoid a roll over.

Spacer should help, but practice makes perfect as they say.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Riding technique will go along way as well.

Learning to shift your weight where it needs to be at the right time is a crucial part of safely riding an ATV, and a great way to avoid a roll over.

Spacer should help, but practice makes perfect as they say.
This is very true and a valuable lesson learned once your son has the hang of it.

As I said before, if your in any doubt about your sons safety fit a thumb throttle with a manual throttle stop screw to limit his speed.

Reactions: UnkleRaRa
1 - 7 of 7 Posts