Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I suggest leaving the crankcase breather in the airbox. You'll thank me if you ever start to get some blow by in your engine or accidentally overfill the engine oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha.. A Dalmatians face springs to mind!!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What I plan on doing now is to shorten my snorkel to the point where the engine runs as it should do, no bog or lag etc. Then from that point run 2" pipe and see if that works any better.
I don't really want to tweak the carb if I can help it after the carb issues I've had over the last couple of months. I'm sick of tinkering with carbs!
Obviously if I have to I will, I'd just rather not.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I suggest leaving the crankcase breather in the airbox. You'll thank me if you ever start to get some blow by in your engine or accidentally overfill the engine oil

That's sounds wild that someone would overfill the engine with oil , they must be mechanically challenged or have bad eye sight - no doubt ----- I know I stop riding the bike and fix the blow-by problem when it starts , I have never experienced getting sprayed with oil yet , but I have had my air box flooded several times from the bike flipping over and never got water in the oil , you get water in the air box with the crankcase tube routed into it and the motor kills you are for sure getting water in the case

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Doesn't take much to have it spit out the breather, and if you roll the bike you get oil all in that hose and whether it's over full or not it will be spitting oil out of it occasionally. As far as blow by goes I had no real idea it was getting bad until I ran the vent up to the snorkel, it runs fine and doesn't use oil

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
What I plan on doing now is to shorten my snorkel to the point where the engine runs as it should do, no bog or lag etc. Then from that point run 2" pipe and see if that works any better.
I don't really want to tweak the carb if I can help it after the carb issues I've had over the last couple of months. I'm sick of tinkering with carbs!
Obviously if I have to I will, I'd just rather not.

I think you are wasting your time switching to 2 inch pipe , I have seen so many 300's with 1 1/2 inch pipe that run perfect

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Snorkels up and working, 1 1/4" worked a great down by the airbox. Ran my vent lines up the snorkel earlier today.
Took a pic, I know you all like a good pic!

Forgot I'd started this thread, thanks to all who helped out :)

Reactions: retro

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Forgot the picture!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Glad to here you got some progress ! that vent hose looks expensive , what is it ?

may I suggest that you run a second faux ( fake ) snorkel tube next to your snorkel , and run the vent hoses inside that faux snorkel , that pipe can be a smaller diameter , just enough to fit the hoses , it is pretty much a cosmetic thing but sure does look better

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Haha.. It was actually an eBay purchase, it's silicone hose, was about £5 for 10 metres posted. I'd never thought about putting another pipe up the side, good idea. I may do that at a later date.
I've just fired it up to go for a test ride and I've got fuel coming out of the bottom carb overflow! PITA or what! Just heading out now to the local motorcycle shop to see if he has any needle valves in stock, hopefully he has something as I was planning on going to a new ATV park this Sunday.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If gas is coming out it is a bad float that is gas logged or bent and or needle.. Also make sure you take the pilot jet (idle jet) out and clean it. 90% of problems with idle and bogging is the Pilot jet. Make sure all the little holes are clean on the sides and the center hole!! Main jet is pretty easy one hole in the center.. Pilot jets control fuel from Idle to 3/8s throttle.. Main kicks in after that but both have to be clean!! You should put a inline fuel filter in two just encase your tank is dirty or have (#(# gas stations with dirt tanks over there!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If gas is coming out it is a bad float that is gas logged or bent and or needle.. Also make sure you take the pilot jet (idle jet) out and clean it. 90% of problems with idle and bogging is the Pilot jet. Make sure all the little holes are clean on the sides and the center hole!! Main jet is pretty easy one hole in the center.. Pilot jets control fuel from Idle to 3/8s throttle.. Main kicks in after that but both have to be clean!! You should put a inline fuel filter in two just encase your tank is dirty or have (#(# gas stations with dirt tanks over there!
Yep, done all that lol. This is a needle valve issue I beleive, ordered a new one earlier today and cleaned carb again ready for fitment of the new valve :)
Thanks Larry.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
New OEM needle valve at the cost of £26.60 (shock horror) has worked a treat :)

Reactions: retro

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Glad ya got it going good again! Looks like someone intends to finance their retirement off the insane price of those float valves... hopefully this will be the last one you ever need to buy!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh man, I nearly choked when he told me how much it was! OEM parts are ridiculously overpriced in the UK though, not just Honda, any main dealer.
I'd have waited and ordered online but I'm itching to get out riding tomorrow (Sunday) to the new off-road park.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts