Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I havent rode since I changed fluids....they are all at their respectful levels...I unloaded the quad off the trailer yesterday it barely started.....when I hit the throttle it bogs than throws out whitish smoke....it smells like its running rich but than at times it seem to get a hint of oil smell....do you guys think I am running rich? If so what has work best adjusting the mix? I've never done it and will have to YouTube it soo ANY advice is accepted!! Help!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you changed anything since you last rode it?

I know that you said you checked all your fluids. I know that once I overfilled the oil in my lawn tractor (I know completely different animal), and it was hard to start since there was too much oil in the crankcase, and there was oil getting in the combustion chamber. Then eventually I got it started and it was puffing blue/white smoke and couldn't rev. Guessing this is not the case since you say oil level is good.

Check your plug and see if it's wet and what color, wet can mean either rich or oil. Color is a bit harder since depends on age of plug as well, but dark black can be oil.

Does it bog constantly? Does it bog only with certain throttle positions, or engine speeds?

Run your finger in the exhaust tip, does it come out oily?

Is it the stock carb stock?

Depending on how rich I find the color of the smoke changes, I've had it be black and closer to grey/white. Scent can be difficult at times like you say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off thanks for reaching out!! No I have not changed any parts...when I last rode it was fine...it only bogs slightly right when I hit the throttle..it is fuel injected so no carb...I will pull the plug tomorrow and run my finger on the exhaust like you said. Than come back with an update...thanks again and God Bless You!

·
Registered
51 Posts
No problem it’s my pleasure! I’m not very knowledgeable on fuel injected systems, so I can only offer some guidance. I believe that as long as all sensors are working well, you should be good in terms of tune.

Do you have good gas in your tank? Any chance water got in?

Forgot your bike is liquid cooled, that’s another possibility. Perhaps you are burning coolant, coolant getting into the combustion chamber. You said in another thread your engine was overheating, but then you cleaned all the mud off of it and refilled coolant, and now it’s all good. Maybe the coolant is slowly consumed which makes the smoke, and once it gets low, your engine overheats. Could be caused by head gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My nightmare is head gasket...but I highly doubt it...when I had to clean the radiator the coolant level was where it should be.....im going to try your first advice and go from there....thanks again!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks pretty dry and not oily from the picture, perhaps it is related to fueling then, not sure. Check your spark gap and make sure it's the correct spark plug. I'm a bit stumped beyond this. Are the threads oily?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes their is black liquid by the seal washer on the threads but it smells of dirty gas mostly i feel my mind is messin with me.. ...I ran my finger around the exhaust it was wet and smelled only of a rich mixture not oil...I am going to check compression im worried when it overheated the oil thinned and it scored my cylinder....I hope not!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it comes down to being a ring issue as a last ditch effort to try to get around having to do that you can spray small amounts of ATF into the intake while its running and it will re-seat the rings

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it comes down to being a ring issue as a last ditch effort to try to get around having to do that you can spray small amounts of ATF into the intake while its running and it will re-seat the rings
This is the exact reason I joined this forum!! Information just like what you have sent me.....ive studied the look of the plug and they are saying the brownish white stuff on the ring is caused by vaporized oil getting past the intake valves..caused by a broken seat of the valves...will atf grab at that issue at well if so how much? I imagine I spray it in with a sprayer bottle lightly...just unsure how much.....thank you!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts