Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got back into 4 wheeling last week(well I bought my boys 4 wheelers,still lookin for me one).Anyway one is an awesome little 1986 trx 70,It is a blast to ride in the yard even for me,but for my son,he says its a little hard to turn very sharp.it has the same size tires on all corners,16x8.0x7's.I was wondering if i could get a little thinner tire up front to help with cornering,as his are dryrotting and will need to be replaced before any trail riding can be done.The other is an 87 trx 125,and it has thinner tires up front and is easier to turn than the little 70.The 70 isnt binding because on a stand it turns freely as does the 125.So like i said,is it possible and safe to get a little thinner tire up front to help him turn easier.thanks,Dave.

·
Registered
195 Posts
8" wide tires can be a pain for a little kid to turn. I'd install a 6" or 7" wide tire and go from there. If you can install the thinner tires from teh 125 onto the 70 and see how he does from there, it should give you an idea about what to get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya thats good,i will try the thinner tires when i replace them,but the 125 tires are too tall to fit under the fenders of the 70.But I am glad to know that you think the 8s are hard for a (5) year old to turn.I didnt want to get flamed on here for letting an under 12 rider on the 70 but it fits him perfectly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
as long as he is wearing the proper safety gear and knows/understands how to handle it, there is no reason for him to not be on it. I'd try for 5"-6" wide tires for him.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Plus if I might add didn't the 80's model 70 have a throttle stop screw to limit the speed? That would also be a big help if he's a begining rider. I suggest a chest protector also my 15 year old cannot ride without one. My Rule. and boots no sneakers. you can pick up riding boots for kids fairly reasonable on Ebay 40 to 50 bucks well worth it concidering a doctors visit cost.

·
Registered
391 Posts
About the Throttle scew i think that both the 125 and the 70 should have them if not try adjusting the cable so that it doesent open the carb as far

1 - 6 of 6 Posts