Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing a 420 es and will be doing a lot of riding in corn stubble. One dealer told me that farmers sometimes damage the front boots, riding in corn and suggested a skid plate. He said to be sure to get one that extends out towards the wheels to protect the boots.

Please recommend a skid plate to meet my needs by protecting my new 420.

Thank you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ricochet makes quality skid plates. And the factory ones from Honda are pretty good too but pricy. I got a deal on a set of Aluminum Products for my Rubicon. They serve their purpose. Had to tweak them a little to get them to fit. But given the right deal I would buy them again. There are a few other companies but I've never used them so I can't comment much on those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. I don't see where they make one for the 2017 model, nor do they seem to make one that protects the front arms and boots. I see ebay also has some options but I'm wary of how well they are constructed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Which company are you talking about? Ricochet, Honda or Aluminum Products? What year make and model do you have? The Ranchers come with IRS or Solid rear axle as well.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Best option for peace of mind may be to fabricate them yourself then. Humans can do better than the corporates if'n they will try... cause profit at lowest cost isn't the motive and the only reason for your existence.

You can coat those boots for longer life too, but still gotta protect those knuckles and boots with something and work to keep the buildup of mud and snow (that becomes ice!) outta them.

Good luck and have fun with it,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a fabricating kind of guy.

I looked at the Ricochet website. They may carry a skid plate for 2017 but I could not find it on their site.

Please include a link if you see a good plate that would protect my front boots.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Their website is probably not updated regularly, so maybe give them a call and inquire about it? The marketing dept. may send you some photos if you ask them too...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm purchasing a 420 es and will be doing a lot of riding in corn stubble. One dealer told me that farmers sometimes damage the front boots, riding in corn and suggested a skid plate. He said to be sure to get one that extends out towards the wheels to protect the boots.

Please recommend a skid plate to meet my needs by protecting my new 420.

Thank you!
Maybe this will help - see the video below of my 2016 Rancher with Ricochet guards installed. This same video is featured on their website. And yes, the 2017 has NOT changed from the 2016.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I always look forward to a video from you creed, your quite good with that cam :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've ordered the front ones from Richocet. I assume these won't get in the way of a future plow or winch, right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is that a roll of toilet paper hanging from the rafter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts