Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike is a 1994 300 4x4.

I did a quick search for side shaft seals and didn't find what I was looking for.

I noticed where the rear side shaft goes into the cross shaft appeared to be leaking. I took the 4x4 cover off and took brake kleen to it then used the air compressor to dry it off.

Took it out for a ride and sure enough it leaked.

Anyone have any tips on changing those seals out? I ordered both seals for the side shaft.

Now my other problem has me kinda baffled......

I noticed what appeared to be clear fluid running down from up under the fuel tank. It ran down into my airfilter box. Seemed like oil. I assumed it was motor oil and it must of come from the overflow tube when I had my bike on it's front nose in a ditch.

I was wrong. I cleaned it all up and last night another little puddle under the front of the bike, and more in the air box. I pulled the fuel tank and found a little vent line right beside the intake tube and it was wet with oil. I followed it back and it goes to the vent on the gear case.

So why would gear oil come out?? I actually checked the fluid level and it ran out just like the manual said if it's full. Any ideas on this one???

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Bike is a 1994 300 4x4.

I did a quick search for side shaft seals and didn't find what I was looking for.

I noticed where the rear side shaft goes into the cross shaft appeared to be leaking. I took the 4x4 cover off and took brake kleen to it then used the air compressor to dry it off.

Took it out for a ride and sure enough it leaked.

Anyone have any tips on changing those seals out? I ordered both seals for the side shaft.

Now my other problem has me kinda baffled......

I noticed what appeared to be clear fluid running down from up under the fuel tank. It ran down into my airfilter box. Seemed like oil. I assumed it was motor oil and it must of come from the overflow tube when I had my bike on it's front nose in a ditch.

I was wrong. I cleaned it all up and last night another little puddle under the front of the bike, and more in the air box. I pulled the fuel tank and found a little vent line right beside the intake tube and it was wet with oil. I followed it back and it goes to the vent on the gear case.

So why would gear oil come out?? I actually checked the fluid level and it ran out just like the manual said if it's full. Any ideas on this one???
are you asking how to replace the front drive shaft front and rear seals ?..if this is the case..remove the side cover on the drive shaft ( four 8 mm bolts )...on each end of the drive shaft ..thier is a round washer looking thing...inside of these is a c-clip that is compressed around the drive shaft..you will need to open the c-clips up..pull them inwards off the grove ( both front and rear c-clips )..after that..with a punch and a hammer..knock the drive shaft forward..this will give you room to pull the drive shaft off the rear splines...if you got both c-clips knocked towards the center of the drive shaft..then you should be able to pull the side drive shaft out and off the bike. as for the diff gear oil leaking..sounds like you got them too full of oil.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The only thing that I know of that will cause gear oil to come out the vent line is if the diff is overfilled or if the ATV is turned over. If it's actually running out when you remove the fill plug, I would put it on a level surface and let it run out the fill plug hole until it is level with the bottom of the fill plug hole and see what this does.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a hunch that it may leak if it is too full, or like you stated if it was flipped. I'll drain it and remove the shaft, install the new seals and fill it up just untill it runs out then giver a go.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I had a hunch that it may leak if it is too full, or like you stated if it was flipped. I'll drain it and remove the shaft, install the new seals and fill it up just untill it runs out then giver a go.
You were talking about the front or rear differential and not the transfer case, right? If you were talking about the transfer case, it isn't supposed to be filled to the top of the fill hole. It has a check bolt down on the side of it that the oil has to be filled up to.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You were talking about the front or rear differential and not the transfer case, right? If you were talking about the transfer case, it isn't supposed to be filled to the top of the fill hole. It has a check bolt down on the side of it that the oil has to be filled up to.

No, I'm talking about the transfer/gear case. I had removed the bolt that says "check". In the manual it says remove the bolt and if oil flows out it's full. Oil flowed out. BUT maybe it is too full. It only calls for 190cc after draining.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

No, I'm talking about the transfer/gear case. I had removed the bolt that says "check". In the manual it says remove the bolt and if oil flows out it's full. Oil flowed out. BUT maybe it is too full. It only calls for 190cc after draining.
OK, sounds like you're doing it right then. Just fill it to it starts to run out the hole. I would let it stop running out before I put the check bolt back in, that way it will be at the bottom of the hole. Make sure you're on a level surface.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well 5 minutes ago I drained all the fluid from the gear case..............

I think I found the problem why it ran out of the vent tube.... The oil most definatly had water in it! It came out white and milky and then grey. I raised the back of the atv and then flushed the gear case out with old motor oil. So from what I have read on the net about having water in there, this will cause it to come out the vent. Is this correct?

I managed to remove my seals no problem as well. Now I'm just waiting for the new ones to come in.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, when they get water in them, it raises the level of gear oil and it will start coming out the vent hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts