Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
92's muffler was straight back and didn't make the u-shape , but you can put a 88 muffler on a 92 , I have that 88 set up on my 92 -------- 91-94 were the years for Southern Blue and judging from the muffler and the plastics , I'd say that is a 91 ------------- the 10 digit of the vin would tell what the frame is , but parts could have been swopped around and it could be a collage of parts ----worth $150

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
this is a 92 with a 88 muffler , the original 92 muffler was straight ------ so if the muffler is correct on the bike you have a pic of , then it is pre-92 -----one thing bad now days on the 1st gen is they are getting harder to find parts for as there are parts that are unique to 1st gen ---- but that makes the parts on it worth more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
I would jump on that one , that could be a project or a parts bike for the next 300 you find , I am presuming from your pics that is a 1st gen , the engine has 2 more HP and a 1,000 higher rpm range , the engine and wiring harness will go right on a 2nd gen frame , but be careful as it is very addictive

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well if it is still around when we get back from our trip I will probably go get it. I like doing this kind of projects, like a lot of you guys. Not just quads but bikes and other stuff.

Here is an example of an old Heald Hauler I did for a lady running a ranch for troubled youths. Her deceased husband first built it from a kit many years earlier and when he passed it just sat. I only charged her for parts (some of them anyway) and that was at her insistence. She ended up giving me a gift card to Home Depot for my work.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128316&thumb=1
https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128324&thumb=1
https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128318&thumb=1

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128320&thumb=1
https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128322&thumb=1

I wish my quads turned out this nice. These were kits from the 50's and 60's. Used a 10hp engine and centrifugal clutch with forward and reverse. Uses hand activated hydraulic brakes. Lines were so bad I replaced ll brake components. Thankfully there is an outfit back east that has new and used parts for them. They also had models with 4 wheels. Early version of UTV's I guess. The bed is a dump bed. Every part you see rusted was removed and power sanded by yours truly. A few had to be replaced but very few.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Buy it. The rear end would bring close to twice the asking price, if the rear end is good.

Then you find a 350D rear and have a free-ish bike!

Not only free-ish , it be better-ish
Obviously I am not the collector you guys are, so what is the difference in the two models?

One thing I did wonder about. The knuckles on my 86 TRX350 clunk pretty good when making sharp turns, and a search months ago turned up few solutions other than another used front end with no guarantee. I was wondering if anyone has ever grafted a newer 4wd front or a 2wd front end onto the TRX? I figure ANYTHING is doable, but not necessarily easy.

Ever hear of such a thing?

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Buy it. The rear end would bring close to twice the asking price, if the rear end is good.

Obviously I am not the collector you guys are, so what is the difference in the two models?

One thing I did wonder about. The knuckles on my 86 TRX350 clunk pretty good when making sharp turns, and a search months ago turned up few solutions other than another used front end with no guarantee. I was wondering if anyone has ever grafted a newer 4wd front or a 2wd front end onto the TRX? I figure ANYTHING is doable, but not necessarily easy.

no way you can use a front differential from a trx300 in a 1986 trx350 fourtrax, completely two different atvs !!. the differentials are no where near made the same !!.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I get what you are saying, but really nothing is impossible. Whether or not it is worth it is another matter. Like I said it was just a thought.

When I have watched guys take the old Ford twin I beam front off a truck and give it independent coil spring suspension, then I know most anything is doable but might not be practical.

Now things like drive shaft on wrong side etc, those are game changers. Another thought is a 2wd front end on it too. Only if this one fails. Hey a neighbor of ours, when I was a kid, built his own tractor with a Ford inline 6 and back to back manual transmissions. It became a 3 speed tractor with 3 gear eatios. Everybody told him it would not work and would break from the torque. He used it for years to plow his 20 acre fields.

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
marlinman; Hey a neighbor of ours said:
Back in my days of 4wd truck mudding , some of my buddies were running "under drives " , which was a case that lowered the reduction and was mounted behind the tranny , I wanted to do it but never got around to it before 4wd trucking got out my system

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

Used front ends from the 350 foremans are cheap, but as you said, finding a good one is the trick. If your knuckles are clunking I would check bearings and your front axles. I doubt anything is wrong with the diff.

You like Marlins? I've always been a Winchester guy but the Marlin levers are nice.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts

Used front ends from the 350 foremans are cheap, but as you said, finding a good one is the trick. If your knuckles are clunking I would check bearings and your front axles. I doubt anything is wrong with the diff.

You like Marlins? I've always been a Winchester guy but the Marlin levers are nice.
the knuckles on old trx350's don't clunk, it's the cv joints, very common on those makes/models.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It probably is the CV joints. Seems a few months back when I first heard it, I did some research and IIRC there were none to be had.

Jeepwm69

Bearings are good, repacked those long time ago.
I do like Marlins, but funny thing, I have more Winchesters. Go figure! A gold centennial 66 in 30-30 and Model 94 Big Bore 375 Win, top eject. My Marlin is a stainless guide gun in 45-70. Thinking of having the centennial converted to a JES 38-55, just because. Mine is the 26" octagon barrel model, and as a collectors item it's almost worth as much as a standard model. The Cent' 66 was not much of a collectors model, gold plating or not. Figured I would put a tang sight on it and make it a long range gun.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Another vote to go pick it up, but again i am partial to the fourtrax 300. Parts alone are worth the asking price. Looks like the bike is mostly complete.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Well he took the ad down today so I guess I missed it.
did you really think it would still be there ??????..if so ?, i've got some beach front property in AZ to sell ya !..lol.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts