Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of us just purchased 2 new 2016 Rubicon 500 with the automatic and manual shifting. Both are showing the same problem. If I use the manual model to shift up and down it sometime settles between gears lets say second and third and will not let me shift up or down. Most of the time I have to shut the machine off and wait about 1 minute and start it up and some times I have to push it forward and back and then I can shift again. My dealer can not figure out what is causing this and has had little luck with a solution from Honda yet. On the dash display when it does this instead of showing which gear it is in, it comes up with a horizontal line and will not go up or down. Has anyone else had the same problem and possibly a solution.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's the computer loading I think. Happens all the time on my Foreman. If you give it gas it will still go and then it will show you the gear once you get to moving.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Tuchodi: Get it back to your dealer while it is still in warranty (Very Important!). What is happening does not sound correct.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hello, I have a 2015 Rancher 4x4 ES and I have had that happen one time in a whole year of ownership. Go to the dealer and if they can't fix it get a new one, that definitely isn't normal.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I agree take it back, IF that dealer WON"T fix it, go to a different dealer
and CALL HONDA,
new should mean new and NO issue's

·
Registered
282 Posts
There mostly likely going to tell you it's normal. I've asked about it before to. It's the computer loading. It's from shifting to fast. It's like if you click on 20 new tabs it's going to slow down and take a little bit for it to open all of them

·
Registered
862 Posts
My 420 with the same trans design has only done it once. In auto I locked up all 4 corners at 50 mph and slid it to a stop, trans couldn't downshift fast enough had to rock it to get it back down to neutral. If it is happening often it definitly isn't normal, and when the -DASH- shows up on mine it is stuck between gears, I.E. won't move.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Whether the dealer gets it fixed right away or not, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU TAKE IT BACK AND GET THE PROBLEM ON YOUR SERVICE RECORD. That way, if they are not able to find/fix the problem now, it would still be covered IN-warranty; even if the problem shows up two years from now. Getting the problem logged in on your service record also lets Honda know if there are any issues that they need to address. If you don't report it to your dealer, then: 1. It definitely won't get fixed, and 2. If the problem gets worse after the warranty expires, it won't be covered IN warranty. You paid for your warranty as part of the purchase price of your atv, so take advantage of it and use it. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a little over 8 hours and about 55 miles on my 2015 Rubicon and it did once with me while shifting down in ESP mode. I didn't realize that even in ESP mode, it would would shift down when you came to a stop. I think it was downshifting and I was hitting the button to downshift at the same time and I got the little dash in the gear indicator. It wouldn't shift, so I tried the throttle to see if it would move and it did and it was in the correct gear. The gear indicator went back to normal. Haven't had a single problem since, in either ESP or Auto mode. If it is continually happening to you, I would take it back to the dealer, like others have said. Any computer can have a error every now and then, but if it's repeatedly happening, then it would seem there is a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had it happen on my 2-month old 2015 Rubicon 500 Deluxe once. It really caught me off guard as I was dead in the water for about 10 minutes on a transmission line trail miles from anyone else. I turned the bike off and on, but no go. My son winched me out of the bog I was in with his 2015 Rancher and the movement must have released something as I could then get it started and shifting properly. I read up on it when I got home and saw that the rocking movement might help and figured that's what helped.

I racked it up to something related to the break-in period as neither of us has had it happen on either bike in the past few months since. If it was reoccuring, I would definitely bring it in to the dealer for a check. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I don't pick my new one up until tomorrow; but, you are correct that the rocking motion usually does the trick. I don't know about the 2015; but, the 2003 tool kit came with a tool to manually move the gear shifter. Of course, it took me about a month to realize that the tool really had a purpose. The very first day I bought my 2003, I picked it up in a covered trailer and the ATV was all the way up against the forward wall of the trailer. When I tried to start it and put it in reverse, it did exactly what you said your new one did. Since it was in first gear, I couldn't even pull it out of the trailer very easily, so I called the Honda place and the service guy told me to rock the machine. However, it was so tight up against the front wall that I couldn't get it to rock, so we literally man handled it enough to get it pulled back away from the wall and started the rocking motion and sure enough, I was able to get it into neutral that way. Understanding these little quirks is another reason I wanted to purchase another one as similar as possible to the old one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2007 Rubicon...the dash display blinked to code the "angle sensor"...so I replaced that, reset the codes (you can the codes and how to reset online)...It seemed fine...then started to flash code 6, then code 4...long story short...Honda has had my bike for over 3 weeks and still can't fix it...it starts and runs until it gets up to 25-28 kms per hr...then it will not shift any higher....so good luck!! If anybody has any suggestions to this...please reply

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 420 with the same trans design has only done it once. In auto I locked up all 4 corners at 50 mph and slid it to a stop, trans couldn't downshift fast enough had to rock it to get it back down to neutral. If it is happening often it definitly isn't normal, and when the -DASH- shows up on mine it is stuck between gears, I.E. won't move.
This is my opinion too!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Mine did it once when going from 2nd to reverse real fast, had maybe 50miles on the machine. Stalled out & wouldnt start. Had to get off & pull it back, once i heard the click it started right up & was fine. I def/ dont like this new transmission as much as the hydrostatic one -_-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Honda manual shift 4 wheelers. One is a 2002 and the other a 2000. What causes i t to have a problem going into reverse? I have to mess and mess with it....jiggling the reverse button before it will work most times and other times it works as it should.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two of us just purchased 2 new 2016 Rubicon 500 with the automatic and manual shifting. Both are showing the same problem. If I use the manual model to shift up and down it sometime settles between gears lets say second and third and will not let me shift up or down. Most of the time I have to shut the machine off and wait about 1 minute and start it up and some times I have to push it forward and back and then I can shift again. My dealer can not figure out what is causing this and has had little luck with a solution from Honda yet. On the dash display when it does this instead of showing which gear it is in, it comes up with a horizontal line and will not go up or down. Has anyone else had the same problem and possibly a solution.
I just got a 2020 rubicon and this exact thing happened to me. So, it appears that Honda is clueless on how to fix this. I brought it to the dealer (per Honda's recommendation), and they in turn contacted Honda Tech Support... no solution. In my case if I "reboot" the GD machine (turn off, wait a bit, turn on) it clears the "bar" and everything returns to "normal". The fist time it happened, I was in ESP mode and using the paddle shifters to force an upshift. Honda's response was - "don't use the paddle shifters when in ESP mode" - my thought - "why the F don't you disable that if you don't want customers to do it?! The second time this happened I was in ESP, going down a slight incline and it "faulted" to the Dash Display. Killing, waiting, restarting got it working again. BTW - when this happens the motor kind of blubbers (like an old carb ATV when the choke is left on). Since you experienced this in 2015 and it is now 2020, I'm nervous that I might get stuck "out in the back country" with an "unmovable object" :/.
Frankly, I'm amazed that Honda with a reputation of building excellent products hasn't figured out how to properly design an DCT!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts