Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 200km trip this past weekend with my new to me 2005 500FE ES. Everything ran great until we went through a few wet pockets of around 18-24" of water. Shortly after I was getting 5 gear flashes and electric shift wasn't working. This happened 4 or 5 times during the weekend. If we sat for 30 minutes it would be fine, but I ended up riding out the last few KM one of the days with the emergency manual shift wrench.

I'm guessing this is the common angle shift sensor?
There are a few varying sensors and store descriptions aren't clear which I need for my machine (one website lists my machine and the next website doesn't include it for the same sensor part number). What is the proper part number, both genuine Honda and other after market?
Any good instructions on replacement?
I see some people claim to preload, some say you don't have to. Some mention clocking it, which I believe is just the minor screw hole adjustment?
I read this issue could be carb related. Or could be clutch adjustment. Or what else could be causing this? Either way I want to pull the plastics and clean up all electrical connections and protect with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The angle sensor is the most commonly replaced part, and the least likely to fix anything.
You only preload the automatics. You can test the angle sensor with a voltohm meter.
The electrical connectors are the most likely cause of your problem. They can be difficult to get to, and to pull apart.
The easy way out is to bypass the ECU and the electrical connectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll pull all the plastics and dig into the electrical.
I just noticed the 12v aux plug had something else spliced into the harness at some point so I want to get that fixed up and see what other surprises hide under the hood.

Will be hard to know if anything I do fixes my shifting issue until I can get it in deep water again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well pulled the frontal plastics and front wheels. The 14p grey connector on the ECU had 5 wires where the insulation was worn to the copper from rubbing on the 'hood' plastic. Copper strands looked good on each.
All connectors already had clean dielectric grease coatings so I'm thinking my problem may be solved with some q tip dabs of liquid electrical tape then wrap well with actual electrical tape.

My front top a arm bushing is worn out too, man why would Honda insert the bolt front to rear, can't get it out without removing the whole silver bumper brush guard. Plenty of clearance to insert the bolt rear to front.

One screw on my brake reservoir is stripped too. Tried an impact. Tried the punch method. Last resort is Dremel cut a slot in it before I resort drilling it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts