Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an almost brand new 420 with automatic transmission, power steering and independent rear suspension sitting in the shop. It won't shift gears or go into neutral. I had to use the supplied tool to manually get it into neutral and then it will shift into first gear with the shift button but that's it. Won't go back into neutral or any other gears. Took the shift motor off and tested it, when I press the shift buttons up or down the motor spins, so I assume its working fine. Now where is this shift angle sensor people are always talking about. Do they even have one on the newer Hondas? I've read the sticky about the shift angle sensor in the rancher forum but can't seem to locate anything that looks like the pictures in the sticky. There are a couple of gizmos with connectors around where the auto tranny is but they look completely different. Any help would be appreciated. Also someone told me I may have to reset the computer, is there a way to do that at home and not bring it in to a dealer? We live waay out in the boonies and there is no chance of bringing it into any dealerships. Thanks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dang! I'm so sorry to hear about your issues. You live way out in the boonies and that is the reason you bought a Honda, so you wouldn't have to worry with it. I have a 2016 with the Automatic transmission and I have had zero issues whatsoever in 2267 miles. I hope you get it resolved.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: This should help you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Didn't think to look at the bottom rear of the engine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 2016 exact same model did that to me on the first ride, I couldn't get out or in a gear for anything... rocking, on and off, more of that again, and was actually going to tow it. Couldn't use the funky wrench thing because I didn't have my glasses to read the manual...) Then it just started normal (on and off, rocking); don't know why, but never had another problem. Best I can figure is that it is was so new there was still grease on some trany part and not the oil. Just guessing there, but several around here suggested different oils. Then it happened to my second quad, also brand new, same model, with about 50 miles. Rocked it, turned it on and off, waited, repeated, then it started and I never saw that problem again. I still am thinking it was grease on the parts or something. I had the blank screen (-) symbol, but it felt like a shifter fork just wasn't engaging, and since it wasn't the computer was stuck not thinking. Don't laugh, but try lifting your front end 6 inches and dropping it. Might just work.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I've got an almost brand new 420 with automatic transmission, power steering and independent rear suspension sitting in the shop. It won't shift gears or go into neutral. I had to use the supplied tool to manually get it into neutral and then it will shift into first gear with the shift button but that's it. Won't go back into neutral or any other gears. Took the shift motor off and tested it, when I press the shift buttons up or down the motor spins, so I assume its working fine. Now where is this shift angle sensor people are always talking about. Do they even have one on the newer Hondas? I've read the sticky about the shift angle sensor in the rancher forum but can't seem to locate anything that looks like the pictures in the sticky. There are a couple of gizmos with connectors around where the auto tranny is but they look completely different. Any help would be appreciated. Also someone told me I may have to reset the computer, is there a way to do that at home and not bring it in to a dealer? We live waay out in the boonies and there is no chance of bringing it into any dealerships. Thanks.
Not throwing any kind of error code?

Did it shift easily/ feel right when you used the emergency shifter?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No error code, just the "-" on the display. It seemed to shift into neutral easily with the tool. When I turn on the key the gear position indicator is in the "-" condition, and when I press the down button it will go into neutral for a split second then back to the "-", so I start the engine by repeatedly pressing the down arrow button while holding the starter button and it eventually has enough time in neutral to start the motor. There were a couple times when I got the engine running and had "-" on the display and I hit the up arrow it went into first gear, got all excited but immediately disappointed again when it wouldn't go into any other gear including back to neutral. I will be inspecting the shift angle sensor for any damage or signs water or mud getting past the o-ring.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I would check angle sensor, but almost sounds like something if off with the gear position switch or something is awry in the shifting mechanism.

Check the angle sensor though. That is a likely culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find the problem? I have got a similar issue with a 2011 TRX 420 FPA. Initially I had trouble getting reverse, but now wont shift up or down, just a bar on the screen (flashing 2 long and 4 short = code 24) will change gear with the manual 'come home' system, shift motor works fine. Occasionally I can get 4 or 5 attempted up shifts and then nothing, (double checked with test light). I get the neutral light on the dash but not on the digital, which makes me think the position sensor is working ok. Code 24 indicates wire connection issue but all connectors seem to be clean and dry. When I do get the occasional shift attempt, the power to the shift motor is active for a few seconds, so there must be some kind of timer relay which is what I suspect to be the problem. I am going to get a new angle sensor just in case but Im not very confident.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts