Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so my atv had some issues. It had some shifting issues so I took in to the service shop where I bought it. About three days later they called me back told me nothing was wrong so I went picked it up showed up home tested it out and boom there it went again no shifting. So then I took it back and luckily the problem was still happening when I got to the shop. So fast forward it's been at the shop for over 2 months with no date as to when it will be fixed. The shop has told me over and over that it'll be a couple days and when I call to check they tell me "call back in a couple days." So I got tired of them just bs'ing me so I called Honda Powersports customer service and it has been the same thing with them. Sometimes my "case manager" answers me and the majority of the time he doesn't. He has told me he can't do anything about it except try and help the shop. I have asked him if he could transfer me to his manager and he has said the manager doesn't talk to customers. Now back to the shop on Wednesday I told them I was done and that I wanted to pick it up fixed or not. They said ok I'll talk to Honda for them to release it. The shop called back yesterday and said they had replaced the shift motor and that didn't fix it. So I told them that I wanted to pick it up again. After this he said "sometimes the problem is when people have this at their ranch rats get in and bite the electrical wiring and Honda won't cover that." Then what I think is stupid is that he hung up called back about 20min later and said yes that was the problem we found one wire but and theirs may be more. So after two months of replacing other parts they find the issue in 15-20 min? Now out of warranty? They asked if I would pitch in with Honda for a new wiring harness. I said no! So that's where I'm at now. My question to you guys is if you have any suggestions? Anything you guys think I should do?

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Well....if rats did indeed chew the wires that's not on Honda BUT, I would sure as hell make them show you the "damage" and make sure that it was obvious damage from rodents.

If there is in fact, rodent damage, I would ask what the price of a wiring harness will be and whether or not they are going to charge you for labor.

Rodent damage isn't their fault, but kinda crappy that they've had your bike for 2+ months. Hopefully they'll do something for you to make up for that ridiculous wait time.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Yeah I agree with Jeepwm69, show up there and demand proof. Don't ask over the phone or anything incase they start mangling wires to make it look like rat damage. I'd show up there unannounced and demand to see the rodent damage. Was your 4 wheeler stored in a place where there are many rodents? My 4 wheeler stays outside or in the garage during summer time; only real danger is when it starts getting cold and they're looking for warm places to make nests.

That's some pretty unbeleiveable service... 2 months and crappy feedback from them. I'd be blowing a fuse.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I agree, get yourself there and DON"T tell them your coming,
bring a camera and take pic's too
mice will chew on things, all yr, there my biggest problem here, and I have doen all I can to stop them and never any good
have mouce bait in air box, in skid plates and all about stoprage area's
as a fact, yesterday I wa sout on my skid steer and got this funky smell, and after a while drove me nuts, shut machine off, and found a ddarn field mouse had wedged itself between rad and oil cooler and was baking in there like a waffle?? LOL

NO clue HOW It got stuck or WHY it was there, but, GALD it died and didn;t eat wores again(had this happen a few times already)
they love toi fill air boxes up eith crap??

ANY how, even if your warranty is past now, if problem was noted and IN dealer before it expired, its STILL covered, NOT your fault it took dealer so long to get to it
which BY the way I would have yanked it out of there a long time nad took it to another honda dealer, which you can STILL do, and I'd suggest maybe

get the info on problem, get pic's look at damage,(ask them HOW Long it will take to fix IF you decide to have them do so)
and TAKE atv home, tell them you wish to think things over
contact another dealer with what needs fixing and ASK for a price, and a turn around time frame

this dealer your at sounds like a bunch of half wits that screwed you by NOT wanting to do any problem solving to find the issue, OR< NOT wanting to fix it when they did!
2 months in a shop is NUTS< you have way more patience than I do!, 2 weeks and NOT found issue, I would have went and got it and took it else where, even if I had to drive 5 hrs LOL

and please let us know what you end up with too!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Me and a friend bought matching 420's a few years ago. After a few months each of them wouldn't start so we took them to the Honda dealer because they were only a few months we old. Each of them had rat damage in basically the same areas. They estimated well over a thousand dollars to repair mine because the replace the part not repair the wire. Well long story short, we had them both repaired in an hour or two. I bought some heat shrink and wire and it looks almost like a factory job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I went up to the shop and they showed me where it was at. You can't really tell what it was but they said that they are still looking for anymore wires that might be chewed up. If I take it now it'll be 1000$ with the parts that Honda advised them to replace. If I leave it there they will try and find more chewed wires by tomorrow to try and finalize the issues. I decided to leave it one more day. The 1000$ that they are charging is for parts that didn't need to be changed or at least about 500$ of it. He said he was gonna call Honda to try and get them to pay for that.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Yeah they better pay for the parts that they didn't need to change! As for the wire harness fix, misterclean59 has it spot on... Shrink tubing or new wire and it makes a great job without paying your honda dealer 70$/hour... (that's what we pay here in QC)

·
Registered
172 Posts
You shouldn't be responsible for rats in the dealers shop. Obviously they fixed the problem with one of the parts they replaced, and they should not have left your atv in their shop so long without feeding their rats better. The rat problem is on them since it was their rats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys so I finally got through arguing with everyone from the shop and at Honda customer service. The customer service at Honda told me they couldn't pay for the parts since that was the correct way to diagnose it. Apparently changing parts without knowing if the are functioning or not is the right way. I picked it up today and the dealership still had the audacity to give it to me with all the plastic parts off the atv. They hadn't even put it together yet even though I told them it was getting picked up today. All in all I hope the next shop I take it to will do a whole lot of a better job. At this point I don't know if to take it to a Honda dealer or a mechanic that isn't certified by Honda which will be cheaper. The insurance won't pay for anything either way since it's out of warranty now.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Now that you're out of warranty, get yourself a service manual, some tools, and case of beer.

Being able to wrench on your own machine will save you a TON of money, time, and headaches.

If the damage really was just a chewed wire, it's nothing a 3 dollar roll of electrical tape couldn't fix.

Not to say this was an easy fix, since shifting issues could be a bunch of different things.

But at least you can troubleshoot the easy stuff before having to bring it in for work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Man that's so bad service by Honda and their dealership. I have had the same exact experience with Suzuki, so its not just Honda. I had bought a rectifier and the wrong one came in for my bike. They said no returns on electrical parts and tried to charge me. I used VISA for the purchase. After Suzuki Customer Service wouldn't do anything about it, of course the dealer wouldn't, I called VISA and reported my issue. Purchase was immediately refunded. I don't buy parts from dealerships anymore and have switch brands due to the poor quality of customer service. Sometimes you need to protect yourself and if you don't like the way Honda treated you, there is a new post about the Argo Xplorer XR 500 which seems pretty bad ass.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Ok guys so I finally got through arguing with everyone from the shop and at Honda customer service. The customer service at Honda told me they couldn't pay for the parts since that was the correct way to diagnose it. Apparently changing parts without knowing if the are functioning or not is the right way. I picked it up today and the dealership still had the audacity to give it to me with all the plastic parts off the atv. They hadn't even put it together yet even though I told them it was getting picked up today. All in all I hope the next shop I take it to will do a whole lot of a better job. At this point I don't know if to take it to a Honda dealer or a mechanic that isn't certified by Honda which will be cheaper. The insurance won't pay for anything either way since it's out of warranty now.
So they BILLED YOU FOR IT, and gave it back to you 1/2 azzed?

Wow. I think I would have told them to take the crap off they installed and put your original parts back on and refused to pay for the stuff. That's gets tricky with a shady mechanic though since they can put a lien on your crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts