Honda ATV Forum banner

Serious smoke after oil change

13K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  PowerStroke70 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, but pulled up a lot of great info before getting the 4-wheeler, and some really great guys and info on here! Glad to be a part of it, and hoping I can get some help. I did some trading for a 94TRX 300FW that was in really good shape, but needed some love. So, over the last few days, I've changed out front and rear case oil, oil and filter, and some other nit pick stuff. When I got it, it didn't smoke a bit, which for it's age was impressive and a good sign of proper maintenance. WRONG! There wasn't a half quart of oil in it and was like sludge. After changing it and the filter, it smokes like a freight train! Used Honda oil and filter from the dealer here in town, and even took the filter cover off to make sure I didn't install it backwards, so it's installed correctly. My guess is I'm hosed and have to fork out a crap load for an upper build and valve job! Any input, suggestions? I read another guy had the same issue, and everyone said that it was weird and almost unheard of, but here's another case of the same issue.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well, when I changed all the fluids in the crankcase and both axles, I didn't have a total of a quart in a 1 gallon paint can! I figured there wasn't enough oil in it to smoke when I went and looked at it, rode it and a good shake down. Dipstick was showing low and dirty, but I always change all fluids, filters, plug and everything anyway, so it didn't really bother me since it ran like a top, didn't smoke, no ticking valves or any sights or sounds of outright neglect. Really upsetting since I got it for duck season this year, and it's coming fast! I'm pretty well mechanically inclined, but having my doubts about such a project, and only been in the town I'm in since last February, when I got married, so don't know a good, reliable guy to take it to, or where to even get the parts that I need. I'm a little hot, but mostly dissapointed as a fella can be over this!

Discussion starter · #8 ·
And to answer your question SamUK, yes, the longer it runs the worse it gets. Even at idle, there's some smoke, but hit the throttle a touch, and you'll kill every mosquito with a 5 mile radius of my house! And I greatly appreciate all the input and if I have to go through the trouble of tearing it down, she's goin down! No since when your that far in to not do it right. I've always been a firm believer in that and always thinking ahead, so yes, timing chain, clutches and all, unfortunately. I won't say that my cup runneth over with cash with all the tools, equipment and trailer issues this year, but for another $150-$200 for clutches and what nots, I'd be a fool not to. I just sold a 3 wheeler tje 1st of the year that I bought brand new in 83, and it ran like a dream, hated to, but health issues dictated it, and won't be doing any major trail riding or anything like that with the 300, just something to leave at duck camp for the season to get back and forth from the house to where I'm hunting that day, so got to have something to help cover the 6,540 acres!

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I was scared to put anything in it, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I know it's got to be done, but if I can limp through for a bit, then I'll have the time to do it like I want to. Thanks for the tip!

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks shadetree and manning, greatly appreciated! I ordered a Clymer manuel this morning, and going to do some homework. I've slept on it, and definitely heeding the advi e not to put Lucas in it and take a chance of costing myself even more, excellent advice. It can't be that bad at this point, it still pulls like a mule, and has good acceleration, so she'll sit and the wrenches will come out. And shadetree, if ya weren't 350 something miles away, I'd definitely take ya up on your offer! About the closest I'll be to you will be Walnut Ridge, the ol duck camp. I've always had bigger things done by someone I know or referred to by someone, so I'm a bit nervous about this. How long should something like this take, typically? I'm mechanically inclined, have good common sense, and tons of nice tools, but not pullers, ring compressors and some of the specialty tools I think I'm going to need, Auto zone I suppose? This is absolutely awesome, I wish I'd got on here or one like this years ago, I'd definitely be more informed and understand some of this stuff a lot better, and can't tell all y'all how much I appreciate your help, comments, advice and opinions, THANKS! Definitely more questions to come lol! Thanks again guys!

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Funny, I was just watching a few, lol. That's a handy tool, everything in the world is on there, so I typically look on there before tackling something new and see how much crap I'm fixing to get myself into!

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I hear ya, I grew up on 3 wheelers and was always messing around with them and figured em out pretty good, but the 4-wheelers are another beast, plus I'm 47, not 15 anymore, lol. And heck no we didn't have YouTube, Internet or ANYTHING like that back then, just jump in nut deep and hope for the best! I talked to a guy that jay10 suggested, and actually lives about 15 minutes down the road, so small world! He told me around $600 for an upper build, so I'm weighing my options and doing some homework. The extra couple hundred is worth it to have someone that does it all day every day is worth it, since he may see something that I may overlook since he's done hundreds of them, so I don't know what I'll do, but gotta get something going and soon, but want it done right, and I'd have a warranty with him, me, not so much! One and done is what I'm shooting for!

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I'll ask him exactly what he's doing as far as swapping or actually getting machine work done on mine and all the details before I take it to him, and still haven't decided if I'll take it somewhere or do it myself, especially if I can use G & H. Do they have the head ready to go as well, valves ground and seals done and ready to go on?

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Good point cmanning, but time is a factor for me, unfortunately, I own a business and it's nuts most of the time, plus we still have 2 weekends at duck camp to get ready, a 10 day trip to Daytona Beach in October, plus remodeling my own house as I type this, so......I totally agree with you and understand your point, and definitely love doing things myself so i know what's been done, but at what point does a man say uncle? Lmao! Time hates my guts for some reason and never enough time to get everything done. My wife is on me about the house already this week, but working 6 days a week, church on Sunday, I just don't have a lot of time and need it done by the 3rd week of this month so I can take it to duck camp when I go. I looked at my day planner today and about pooped my pants! Not good timing for this mess at all, if there is one, lol.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
It was a little higher than I'd hoped, but I'll definitely find out EXACTLY what's being done. He came highly recommended and has a great reputation down here, unlike a few others I've spoken with. I'd love to do it myself, a little nervous since I've never done one, but with a manual, YouTube and all you awesome guys, I could get through it, but time is something I really don't have, as bad as I hate to admit it, my plate is FULL and then some! I know I gotta do it, whether it's me or have it done, I'm just sweating how long it will take me. I don't want to be leaving for duck camp on a Thursday night at 10:00 at night because I'm trying to finish it, definitely something to take your time with and be methodical, which my friends and wife say I'm OCD when it comes to working on stuff like that, lol

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Well, I've just about convinced myself to go with G & H and do it myself! I'll just have to make the time and GET ER DUN! Nothing better than the satisfaction of a job well done! Basically save about $300 bucks, and know exactly what I got, so I'm contacting G & H Monday and see what I have to do to get it going, and ask about getting the valves done while it's down. Does anyone know what city they are located by chance?

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Well, he's definitely a good one to know around here, and who knows what will happen in the future jay, so I'll definitely keep his number for sure! You can swing by and drink beer and bark orders lmao!

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I noticed a clicking sound in the front right this afternoon when I moved her around to where she'll be for the rebuild, and wondering if it's the wheel bearing, or the cv? It only does it when the wheels are turned, going straight it doesn't make a sound.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Gotcha, thanks, and dangit! I keep forgetting Labor day is Monday, DUH! I guess I'll spend Monday doing some tear down and cleaning up on the frame and stuff. Took the tank, airbox and breather tube off today just taking a look at what mess I'm getting myself into, and it's pretty funky, so Purple Power and scrub brushes to the rescue! I was hoping to put a small lift with wheels and tires on it, but wow how my plan changed quick! Got to run to turn em though, so 1st things 1st! I really appreciate your help and input shadetree, I've been reading a lot this evening on several different parts of the site, and man, you REALLY know your stuff and don't mind sharing it either! GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR! Lot's of awesome folks on here and so glad I joined!

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Not a problem at all buddy, it's just a great thing having so much knowledge at your fingertips, sooooo not used to that at all! Times have changed to say the least, and wish I'd joined something like this a long time ago! I appreciate the info on that cleaner, I've got to stop on the way home from church, so we'll see what happens. I've noticed some are regional and carry different products in areas that others don't have, some of it's weird and makes no sense, but oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.