Honda ATV Forum banner

Sell Polaris for New Rancher

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  SamUK 
#1 ·
Hi all, I currently have a 2015 Polaris Sportsman 570. The Polaris has been a decent machine to me and has been pretty good, however I have had some troubles with it like a fuel pump and other small things and very poor engineering. I am considering a new Honda Rancher 420 4x4 semi-auto (do not want ES) with the camo option. I feel the Honda are a much better ATV quality-wise and just feel more like a solid and reliable machine. I also am considering the Rancher because I would like a machine that is easier to ride on the trail, and easier to fit in the garage. I have done my research on the Honda's and noted that they do not have a diff lock on the front, is there any way one could be added on at some point? I would consider the new Foreman, but I want to keep below 6300 dollars if possible. I know Honda used to make the semi-auto option available with the Power Steering which would be nice but not really needed, what would be the OTD price for one of these new Rancher or possibly even a Foreman? I live in the Northern New Jersey area and will consider looking at dealerships in the Southern NY (Middletown) area, Northeast PA, and Northern NJ area. Thank you all for the help :smile

#2 ·
the foremans have the front lock, but..if there is a lock-out for the front drive shaft for the new ranchers ? ( I have not seen any as of yet for the trx420's )..then you may want to look into that mod. other than this ?, foremans are the way to go, they have a 2wd-4wd switch on the right throttle to go in and out of each position. on another note..( to me )..the trx420 rear ends are not as good as the rear solid axles are on the foremans with solid rear axles. my .02's worth.

#3 ·
The closest thing Honda has to the 570 would be the Rubicon. I’d have a hard time giving up the IRS more than anything. The Foreman is basically the same machine with a solid axle under it. And the Rancher is like the economy version of the foreman, where they take off all the features people want and sell the machine for slightly less money.

Shade better stick with pre-1990 models I’m not sure he knows what’s up with anything newer [emoji23]
You won’t find a driveshaft unlock for the 420 since they have 2/4wd already, but as far as a locker goes there is nothing unless you want to swap in a foreman diff or put a spool in it. The rear ends on the 420’s 2014 and newer are the same as the Foreman they ditched the open style axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
Your making a good decision. I bought a new 2015 570. Problems started with 4 hrs on it. Starter issues, 2 fuel pumps, weak batteries. I had a 2014 570 Touring with the fuel pump issues. I sold both immediately, purchased a Rubicon with IRS. The difference in quality was noticed as soon as I stepped on to the Rubicon. I’m headed Friday to pick up 2 Recons for my boys. I did buy a Polaris Ranger new in 08 and it never gave me any issues. The 570 Sportsman has terrible engineering. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I learned to not jump into these " great taste , less filling " discussions and instead listen to everything I hear and read and believe a little less than half of it , lol ---------- Back to the original poster , good choice , personally the TRX420 foot shift would be the only one of the new Hondas I would buy , but the only thing I want a atv for is to ride thru mud , deep , wet , nasty mud ----- I think when the new Yamaha hits the trails with the smaller version of the 700 , Honda might have to rethink what they are building , cause they are going to lose some sales -----before pulling the trigger on that 420 , check your local Yammy dealer and see if they have the 450 Kodiak in yet

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...95c8e77ccd16fd8b60e9e89441fef7e4&action=click

#14 ·
I was going to say nearly the same thing, except for the mud riding. Entertaining banter between those guys though.

If you don't consider price, it sounds like the footshift Rubicon is the exact perfect machine for you, cause the only footshift model Rubicon made by Honda these last couple of years has power steering. Which is a good thing but adds to the price and it sounds like the Rubicon is out of your price range. There might be some prior year hold overs available without power steering at the dealers in your area.

But if you are not dead set on Honda, do yourself a favor and check out the Yamaha Kodiaks, both 450 and 700's. Call different dealers and see who has the best prices. But if you are dead set on needing a diff lock, you'll either need to go with the EPS SE 700 model for 2016/7/8, or EPS 700 for 18. None of the new 450's have a locker available.

#15 ·
^^^^ THIS^^^^

I was reading through this thread thinking exactly the same. I went through a phase not long back of wanting a new ATV and after a lot of thought and review reads it came down to the foreman/rubicon. A trail rider I’d choose the rubicon, for a workhorse and some trails id choose the foreman.

If funds will allow, definitely opt for the foreman over the Rancher. The only thing to take into consideration is the power loss going from Polaris to Honda. Honda’s will go all day long every day of the year but they won’t be winning any 0-60 contests any time soon.

#13 ·
I have owned a Rancher for years and have considered getting a Foreman and may still do it. However, I use my Rancher on light trails (no mud), easy riding and like the size, so I have difficulty spending the money on a different unit when this one works perfectly for me. With that said, I agree with fishflies, the Yamaha Kodiak is one to look at while shopping.

I have found when "googling" there are Detroit lockers for ATVs, but think you will spend way more to make this modification vs. just buying the Foreman upfront.

#16 ·
If you want a Rancher AT I would look for an 09-14 model. Same driveline, but on a smaller frame so more nimble.

I bought an 09 AT for the wife and rebuilt it. A 500 top end bolts right on using factory parts, and I added a Foreman pod light up top. The only thing it doesn't have that you want is a selectable diff lock, and while I would LOVE to have that in ALL of my rigs, I don't know what would be involved in making it happen. When the current generation of rigs that came with diff locks get some age on them I'll probably look at a diff locked front diff and see if I can shoehorn it into the wife's Rancher or one of my Foremans.

And yeah, Polaris' quality is a joke. Wise decision to get rid of it.

#17 ·
I must add, I rode a Rancher every day for six months of last year, 09 I believe it was so would be the small frame. I’m 6’2” I height and it was a killer to ride after a couple of hours, the seating wasn’t really designed for us tall folk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.