·
Registered
686 Posts
Yellow spouts are gas only and clear for water, they teach that in school here

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you know you can buy normal pour spouts in canada
i do, but forget the thread where it was posted.
got any leads? this time i will subscribe to it, so i dont forget. thanks
my mind just aint as good as it once never was :smile

Either ebay or amazon dot ca have those or take a spin up north

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
It is red for gas, we have yellow for diesel and blue jerry cans for water...
yes we too have color coded cans, for the same, BUT the spouts are sold as universal spouts, so color has NO play in what there used on/for
the LEGAL deal on being able to sell them is to Market them as NOT for fuel use, as there are laws about safety spouts for fuel use now and they couldn;t sell them for fuel, due to the new laws
so, they HAVE to state for water or?? use and NOT fuel type!
I believe they do also say they are chemical proof on things, so, fuel wouldn;t HURT Them
but they cannot just CLAIM for fuel can's if you follow!

so, again, the color of the spouts, has NOTHING to do with the fuel or?? in the cans when you use them!

only the can itself would have any merit in type of fuel in it!
and even that isn;'t a LAW here, its just a recommended deal, to help make life safer/easier!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I put diesel in a red gas can.

I'm an outlaw like that.
I went to go buy another yellow can for diesel and the 4 stores I went to were all sold out, so I went with a Blue one LOL
seems to work just fine, I spray painted however DIESEL on the sides so I don't forget !
or just until I get a another yellow one and then can remove the paint(oven cleaner works well) to clean dirty fuel cans)

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
is there a colour for mixed gas?, for boats an such? i have a dedicated can, at the moment. guess i will find a paint that sticks to it. Have i ever got things mixed up? dont bother to ask.. :grin

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
have 4 yellow 5gal for my diesel 3500 as spare cans..usually take 2 if we are going on a long unknown road trip..most of our trips find us far from anywhere that has shopping, franchise stations etc..so it's a comfort to know I've got a few more miles in the truck bed.

at one point, back during Katrina and once thereafter I had been keeping 12/5gal red cans for non-ethenol...my town is on the butt-end of the Colonial pipeline..and storms that shut down NOLA and the gulf platforms/distro...end up with bagged pump handles a week later here...at one point..when folks were crying on the radio cause they couldn't drive to work, or get home, folks were pulling guns at the pumps in frustration...napping in their cars in the pump line hoping a delivery might show up..etc.. I was that crazy prepper who was just fine..in fact I had to tell my kids at one point..if you have enough gas to get to my house.. I can get you enough to drive to work rest of the week etc...(kids never listen when the ol man says "prepare")

my 2cycle mix is in smaller 1gal and 2gal cans so I never confuse those....but it's only the brush cutter and chain saw that need that..even my regular weed eaters and my mercury 20hp on the jon boat are 4stroke.

I'm jumping on this thread just to say thanks... amazon delivered a 3pack of the spouts to me yesterday and already put them on the first 3 cans that in fact went to the pumps last night as they were empty from lawn work and honda riding last holiday weekend...wanted to top everything off in advance of TS Barry possible fuel distro delays.

thanks guys for a good thread topic !

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I have a hoard of cans in the shop too. After I saw gas prices jump to $4/gal on 9/11, and again when Katrina hit, I loaded up on gas cans (was traveling for work and stopped in Stillwater OK at Walmart and bought a 1/2 dozen Blitz cans for $5 each when Katrina was fixing to hit NO) and always try to keep about 50 gallons of gas on hand (ethanol free). It does get rotated as I use it in my wheelers and mowers.

I keep my 2 stroke gas in small cans like you do as well. Makes it easy to know what is what.

Having gas on hand is important when you get a storm too. If the power is out the gas stations can't pump, and you gotta have gas to run your generator.

The only downside to it is my buddies all know I keep a bunch of gas on hand so they show up for a ride and say "I didn't have time to stop and get gas, do you have some extra?"

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
LOL...yep...secret us out..the kids all know the old man has em covered...they do get the "alert" message from their mom..in fact she sent it out last evening..reminding them to fill their car tanks up...we've had 3 different events here around the Colonial pipeline..the worst ran over 3 weeks and litereally they were fighting and a couple gun instances at the pumps.

the last one I recall was from back to back storms that came through the gulf..so while the damage wasn't at Katrina levels, it was a down-time duration thing.

there is 50gals of diesel in a seperate tank, plus the 5gal cans and the truck as a 36gal tank on it..

I sold my business last year so I don't have the pressure on me to make sure we can roll our trucks like I used to...in the past when there were gas shortages.. I'd be under contract to make sure we delivered to a gig..so my trucks, vans had to have fuel.

but only 1 diesel, and one cargo van remain here now...I mow about 5 acres of our property..rest is in woods or water etc..but still, you can go through a can of gas pretty quick..so it's reasonable to have a couple cans on hand..this ain't a push mower in a subdivision kinda place.

we have a medium sized genset capable of powering the well pump etc..and I keep my trusty old honda EU2000 around for quick n small stuff...don't see myself as a zombie survivalist, but do consider myself a prepper..having owned a home and lived on the coast through many hurricanes, you tend to get up to speed....sold my home down on the coast last year...whew!! used to be I'd wait for that phone call from the neighbor down there telling me if I lucked up and still had a house after each storm... anyway..yeah...as usual.. I'm rabbit holing a thread...thanks again for the new spouts..it will defintely reduce the exclamatories in my vocabulary instead of spilling gas all over the place fighting with those CA safety spouts..idiots !!!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
ok...this past weekend...needed to refuel riding lawn tractor, push weed whacker, honda Trail 90...and not once did I have to "speak in tongues" about the California compliant nozzles...yay!! good old fashioned plain ol gooseneck spouts..nice n long...etc...I'm that much happier in life...thanks again ya'll for prompting me with this thread to make me get off my butt and order them instead of spilling gas all over the parking pad.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have a hoard of cans in the shop too. After I saw gas prices jump to $4/gal on 9/11, and again when Katrina hit, I loaded up on gas cans (was traveling for work and stopped in Stillwater OK at Walmart and bought a 1/2 dozen Blitz cans for $5 each when Katrina was fixing to hit NO) and always try to keep about 50 gallons of gas on hand (ethanol free). It does get rotated as I use it in my wheelers and mowers.

I keep my 2 stroke gas in small cans like you do as well. Makes it easy to know what is what.

Having gas on hand is important when you get a storm too. If the power is out the gas stations can't pump, and you gotta have gas to run your generator.

The only downside to it is my buddies all know I keep a bunch of gas on hand so they show up for a ride and say "I didn't have time to stop and get gas, do you have some extra?"
charge em a bit extra, for cost. transport fee's. if i had to use a friends gas or oil, i want to pay extra. i call it my "stupid fee", for not being prepared. :smile

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
yep...when Katrina hit...we folks over here in the Carolinas hadn't run into something that bad..we were watching the disaster on the TV thinking "oh those poor people"..and then the bags started showing up on our gas pump handles...what?!!? that's when most folks learned about the Colonial Pipeline and that something all the way down in NO could mean weeks of shortages over here.

at that time i had a 55 gal tank of diesel, plus (4) 5gal spare cans and the truck holds 36.

my car was full, plus my work van (26gal) was topped off, and i had (11) 5gal cans of gas, plus my boat has a 65 gal tank and it was about 3/4 full at the time.

was able to keep mt business commitments with my van deliveries, and make it to my day job office and make sure my kids had enough to get where they needed to go...I had lived through several hurricanes and ice storms but Katrina was the first time I felt like I had moved into the zombie survivalist circle (grin).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
7 Participants
bighanded
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing