Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i forget where this was posted earlier, this year. nuff said, on the side.. however, i bought a safety nozzle, from TSC., $7 dollars, it too was not much of an improvement. soo i decided the cut the end off. when i did, the spring not only released but the whole thing, fell apart. i cut the inside of the white plastic part, at the top.
always wondered what would happen with these non-functional gas can spout's. the spring, is stout, last i seen of it, i compressed it, was holding it, with thumb, an two fingers, on right hand. when i released the pressure, slowly, it shot off. made a sound close to me, and was gone. didn't see a bit of it, while i was looking on.talk of magic tricks, the hand is quicker than the eye, the spring is quicker than that, an some.. it may show up some day..
the inside of the spout, i made a mistake, using a hacksaw, to cut the end off shorter,.. i forgot about the plastic debree. the outside, has a cap on it, but is a soft plastic, i dont think will weld, with my soldering iron. now all i need is a way to cap off the inside plastic.
ever heard put a cork in it? :grin

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I just get rid of the new safety caps/spouts for these?
the new things are over law suit designed to the point all they do is frustrate me and make a simple thing much harder that it should be IMO

so, I replace with the hi flow on things I want faster fills and the regular one's for smaller things, drill hole, add vent and when when DOWN , I always just leave the cap loose, so can can breathe and expand as needed without worries,

these are what I use, and are sold all over if you look for them!

https://www.landmsupply.com/department/automotive/gas-cans/ez-pour-hi-flo-replacement-spout?msclkid=7377c7728f3f1767c6519a524ca43b36&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=All Products&utm_term=4585032210187624&utm_content=All Products

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sent 5 of 7. the 1st is a new gas nozzle. $7.00, or just a bit more. 2nd, i cut the end off, released a spring. i would show it to you, but, i compressed it, holding in, thumb an finger, right hand, it released, made a sound, i got no idea where it went. never heard it land. 3rd is what i got left. only made the mistake of a hacksaw, stead of a pvc cutter. dont have one anyway. 4th is the view, from the spout.,, still has the air slot, plus fits the tank's, for a change, on both, red max, weed whacker an chain saw. got an 0 ring, 2nd picture, an 2 beveled rings. the plastic one might just fir an oil drain, on the 2000, the other, china garbage.
5th, a hose from something i had 40yrs ago. it has nylon thread on the inside of it, and is gas resistant. it was longer than this, but i must have cut some off, for a different project. it has got smaller, over the years, an stiffer. i got empathy.
4th picture, need's some kind of cap. cant use a cork, cause of the air vent.
This time, no reason to say, put a cork in it.
an if ya do, i type too, spelling, another matter. besides,
energy / matter = light squared.. have no idea what that mean's
:grin

Attachments

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Slap that red cap in the bottom of pic 2 on it and call it a day. It won't fit real tight, but works ok.

I've also used rubber caps from napa used for capping off a heater core in a car, but the rubber breaks down over time from the gas.

You could stick a piece of fuel line over the end of the spout, then put a cork in that.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
spouts an such

from an old gas tank spout, 5 gallon.. just enough left to attach this garden hose to. water hose was made in usa. i might find some gas resistant plastic, hose that would work over the white part of the spout. it will be nice to have a gas can that dont take near 3 or more hands to operate.
i had to put a string on it to keep the hose in the picture.
that red cap, dont fit a bit tight. better off with a sandwich bag, an a rubber band..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The best gas cans you can buy are "utility jugs" like this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rjs-20000107/

There are quite a few brands of them, VP has been making them for decades, but the best ones like the one above have 2 handles for more control.

Some come with spout hoses and others you just buy the hose separate, or since they are regular pipe threads you can make your own spout for cheap.

I've retrofitted all my "safety" cans with the EZ Pour kits that @mrbb mentioned above. Some of the earlier ones had really thin gaskets though so leaking was a problem. The newer kits have a thicker gasket.

I still had a can I could not get to seal at the spout though.... So I found a pvc slip-slip union that fit right over the opening after I cut off the threads, jb welded it on for a permanent seal, then made my spout with 1" hose. The beast empties our really fast now, will never leak, and all parts are big box store replaceable if ever needed... But won't ever go bad...

Pics won't upload now so I'll put them in the next post.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
bottom part of union on can that was jb welded on later:

with top part of union on prior to fitting and hoses being on:

all done and next to a VP Racing Jug for comparison:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like that is neoprene hose, @wheelsquad , has got. i need to take the white part of the spout, with me to the hardware store. i got to get me some more JB Weld, also..
i like the utility jugs as well. and gas cans with the breather snap.
:smile

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slap that red cap in the bottom of pic 2 on it and call it a day. It won't fit real tight, but works ok
You could stick a piece of fuel line over the end of the spout, then put a cork in that.
Ya got me to thinking jeep. the cap is to big, but the end of the red part of the spout?
so i checked it out... the white part, fits inside the smaller red past of the spout, tight.. all i got to do is cut the wider part, bout 2.25'' off, and i'm home free. it's close enough i could be tempted not to JB Weld it.. or even better yet, cut off just enough of the red part with threads, to make the cap work..

never mind, i forgot i need a smaller fuel line for the chainsaw, and weed-eater. durn it
:sad

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ last post.. never mind, another duh moment, just set in. i still can use the red part of the spout, once i cut off the good part.the end of the red part fit's snug, on the white. i got to wiggle it, to get it on. with the cap on the good red part, thet give's me a 2" cap. an i dont have to take it off, unless i'm putting gas in the chainsaw an such. for the rest, just have to unscrew the top cap.. i will seen a picture. :redface::yeahbaby01:

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
^^^ last post.. never mind, another duh moment, just set in. i still can use the red part of the spout, once i cut off the good part.the end of the red part fit's snug, on the white. i got to wiggle it, to get it on. with the cap on the good red part, thet give's me a 2" cap. an i dont have to take it off, unless i'm putting gas in the chainsaw an such. for the rest, just have to unscrew the top cap.. i will seen a picture. :redface::yeahbaby01:
didnt turn out exact as i expected. apparently, the red end has a bit of bevel, i didnt see. astigmatisms. still will make a passing cap. still a bit snug, when you push it on a bit. just not as much, as i thought. the cuts are a bit crooked, hard to do with a hacksaw, while holding steady, with other hand.
Oh Well
i did cut off the notches, that make the cap hard to get off. some kind of safety, aggravating thing, and have been doing that for a while on bic lighters when i get one, the first thing i do is get rid of the metal childproof band. makes em 10 times easier to light, saves wear an tear on me thumb.
dish washer soap, cut the tabs off, this list goes on. newer gas can have that plastic notch thing on the part of the spout to the can, dont alway's get tight. cut it off.
all that king of stuff ya been putting up with, gets ya aggravated, ya dont have to put up with it.
sorry, when off on a tangent
:grin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you know you can buy normal pour spouts in canada
i do, but forget the thread where it was posted.
got any leads? this time i will subscribe to it, so i dont forget. thanks
my mind just aint as good as it once never was :smile

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
These are high quality, but not cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Spout-Water-Update-Your/dp/B00CYNDNM8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_86_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2419P3QJMX7BBQYH21Y1

No experience with these, but a little cheaper. No vent included though.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Products-Retail-Replacement-Stopper/dp/B07H7VZTR1/ref=pd_cp_60_3?pd_rd_w=civKd&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=DQCFTP8SHMVQTNV7Q6QX&pd_rd_r=7b373fd5-a320-11e9-85ce-aff8187a0e51&pd_rd_wg=NfD4Y&pd_rd_i=B07H7VZTR1&psc=1&refRID=DQCFTP8SHMVQTNV7Q6QX

Really irks me that you could buy a 5 gallon Blitz jug that actually worked for $5 a few years ago (I bought several with Hurricane Rita was headed for the gulf coast and filled them, anticipating a big jump in gas prices).

Now you shell out $15 for a POS and have to spend another $10 to backwards engineer it to work, because of stupid hippies and government overreach.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
they are sort of illegal here in the USA too, the catch is, they call them spouts for WATER and like fluids, yet there capable of safely handling fuel
so, to get past the legal red tape they cannot be labeled for FUEL CANS!
so a heads up when looking for them

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
These are high quality, but not cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Spout-Water-Update-Your/dp/B00CYNDNM8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_86_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2419P3QJMX7BBQYH21Y1

No experience with these, but a little cheaper. No vent included though.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Products-Retail-Replacement-Stopper/dp/B07H7VZTR1/ref=pd_cp_60_3?pd_rd_w=civKd&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=DQCFTP8SHMVQTNV7Q6QX&pd_rd_r=7b373fd5-a320-11e9-85ce-aff8187a0e51&pd_rd_wg=NfD4Y&pd_rd_i=B07H7VZTR1&psc=1&refRID=DQCFTP8SHMVQTNV7Q6QX

Really irks me that you could buy a 5 gallon Blitz jug that actually worked for $5 a few years ago (I bought several with Hurricane Rita was headed for the gulf coast and filled them, anticipating a big jump in gas prices).

Now you shell out $15 for a POS and have to spend another $10 to backwards engineer it to work, because of stupid hippies and government overreach.
Jeep, if you look at the links I posted, they now have a basic one and then a Jumbo like one, that pours a LOT faster, great for filling up larger machines, or just when you are trying to dump 5 gallons faster!
but are harder to use on the smaller things, so, pending your need, they now have two different sizes on the spouts now, in case you didn;t know this

·
Registered
694 Posts
they are sort of illegal here in the USA too, the catch is, they call them spouts for WATER and like fluids, yet there capable of safely handling fuel
so, to get past the legal red tape they cannot be labeled for FUEL CANS!
so a heads up when looking for them

I'll take some pics but this is a jerry can and vented spout all in one...

Brb.....lol

·
Registered
694 Posts
Here's what I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
It is red for gas, we have yellow for diesel and blue jerry cans for water...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts