Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried everything I know. Got the 300 out for a ride today.. ended up spending all day messing with the carb.. it's clean, moved the needle, checked the choke,cleaned the filter, removed the lid, put the lid back on, removed the filter, changed plugs twice.....

What's left??? Runs rich whatever I do.... Never had one give me this many fits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Where is it running rich? Idle....mid.... Topend?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mid to top end... didn't do this last fall..

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Could the issue be a plugged/pinched carb vent line ?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

has it set up this long ??. I say the pilot jet screw area needs attention.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Tried it.. with a tach even...been sitting since November, no gas in bowl...

I know it's something. lol just can't find it...got fed up with it today...:(

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

Tried it.. with a tach even...been sitting since November, no gas in bowl...

I know it's something. lol just can't find it...got fed up with it today...:(

anytime they run rich ?, this tells me its the pilot jet mixture jet, I will bank on this.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

Now.. I didn't check those.. lol

I don't see how a pinched over flow ( this is what he's calling a vent line I'm guessing ? ) as the trx300's don't have an air vacuum like some newer models have. they get all air from the air filter. would like to know if this turns out to be the problem ?, but I don't see it ?.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I don't see how a pinched over flow ( this is what he's calling a vent line I'm guessing ? ) as the trx300's don't have an air vacuum like some newer models have. they get all air from the air filter. would like to know if this turns out to be the problem ?, but I don't see it ?.

Thought maybe he was talking about the lines that run up the frame..

I'll take it off and look it over.. Got frustrated today with it..

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

there is vent lines that run from the carb up the frame ?, but I don't see how these would cause it to run rich ?, not when it gets most of the air from the air filter and oem snorkel. they put those on the carb to vent, and to let fuel flow out if the float needle sticks ?, but mostly to vent, then they run them up the frame to keep water out of the carb.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

Honestly... It was a guess sense you said you'd never had a 300 carb act this side way @ flooding, lol, I'd be sideways myself right now if i was you, is she was any other brand other then a honda I'd be 50% ready to grab a hammer and duct tape!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

there is vent lines that run from the carb up the frame ?, but I don't see how these would cause it to run rich ?, not when it gets most of the air from the air filter and oem snorkel. they put those on the carb to vent, and to let fuel flow out if the float needle sticks ?, but mostly to vent, then they run them up the frame to keep water out of the carb.

I'm still not convinced that something not going on with the choke...I know what your saying about the pilot circuit.. no matter what I did, within 5 min, the plug was black sooty and smoked when I got it past half throttle..Purred like a new one at idle and rode fine.. just can't get it "right"

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

I'm still not convinced that something not going on with the choke...I know what your saying about the pilot circuit.. no matter what I did, within 5 min, the plug was black sooty and smoked when I got it past half throttle..Purred like a new one at idle and rode fine.. just can't get it "right"

tip: here's how you can tell if your choke is working right or not ?. crank it up, let it idle, operate the choke, if you don't hear a difference in the rpms ?, then the choke is not working right. if you do hear a difference in rpms ?, then the choke is working. oh, and just because there was no fuel in the bowl ?, DOES NOT MEAN ANY WAS LEFT IN THE CARB PASSAGES BACK THEN !..LOL. if I am storing my toys for a long time ?, like my 25 hp mercury outboard which is fuel injected by the way !, I unplug the fuel line, let it run right up until it starts to act like it's gonna die ?, then I choke it, these causes it to pull any and all remaining fuel from the throttle body ?!, this leaves no fuel in the system at all. same thing goes for an atv carb ( if i'm storing it over winter..which I don't..but my motorcycles I do this ! ), if you follow this rule ?, you will never have a carb problem ever again !.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

tip: here's how you can tell if your choke is working right or not ?. crank it up, let it idle, operate the choke, if you don't hear a difference in the rpms ?, then the choke is not working right. if you do hear a difference in rpms ?, then the choke is working. oh, and just because there was no fuel in the bowl ?, DOES NOT MEAN ANY WAS LEFT IN THE CARB PASSAGES BACK THEN !..LOL. if I am storing my toys for a long time ?, like my 25 hp mercury outboard which is fuel injected by the way !, I unplug the fuel line, let it run right up until it starts to act like it's gonna die ?, then I choke it, these causes it to pull any and all remaining fuel from the throttle body ?!, this leaves no fuel in the system at all. same thing goes for an atv carb ( if i'm storing it over winter..which I don't..but my motorcycles I do this ! ), if you follow this rule ?, you will never have a carb problem ever again !.

I choked it.. it killed it... I hate carbs.... lol

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

hang on, not so fast !..lol. ok, when you worked the choke, it killed it ?, this is not a bad sign !. this tells me the choke is working, so to speak ?..lol. nothing wrong with the choke, it sounds like its working like it should. ( guess I shoulda told ya to rev it some, then work the choke ?!..lol. ). trust me, your choke is fine. it's your pilot jet/ mixture screw !. p.s. i'll take a carb over fuel injected any day !..lol.

Reactions: cmanningjr

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

hang on, not so fast !..lol. ok, when you worked the choke, it killed it ?, this is not a bad sign !. this tells me the choke is working, so to speak ?..lol. nothing wrong with the choke, it sounds like its working like it should. ( guess I shoulda told ya to rev it some, then work the choke ?!..lol. ). trust me, your choke is fine. it's your pilot jet/ mixture screw !. p.s. i'll take a carb over fuel injected any day !..lol.

Normally I would.. today.. not a chance..

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

Normally I would.. today.. not a chance..

lol, well..if I taught ya anything all these years ?, AT LEAST YA GOT SMART..AND WALKED AWAY FROM IT !..LMFAO. that's the best damn thing you can ever do..BEFORE YOU GET MAD..AND MAKE MATTERS WORSE !!..LOL.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I'll leave the argument between fuel injected and carbs to you guys , id lrather have a crab! Lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts