Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while frequenting my local dealer where i worked ages ago & know a few there still, i was offered a leftover 16 Kodiac 700 base machine, maybe the odd 'ad ons', but otherwise no PS and missing w/e else a Grizzly has over it. I would be trading in the 2016 Rubicon DX with 2200kms on it, still on the original tires...etc. Maybe have to throw in say...$1500 give or take a few hundred. I have been researching the Kodiac even as far back as when i bought the Rubi back in the early fall of 15.
What do you guys think? Besides the obvious motor size, the Kodiac is DOHC & 4V vs 2V push rod. The Kodiac is around 20-30lbs lighter (or so).
I dont do any big mudding or jumping for that matter, but do trail ride & sometimes we dial'r up a little over rough terrain.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
my question would be this, does the honda do what you want and are you happy with it??
if so, then keep it
if the honda does do all you want as you'd like, I say GO for it, but I think your gaining and loose at same time here, the Yamaha in plain jane form, is pretty bare NO< NO locker< and some bell's and whistles of the loaded up one's.
so I wouldn;t call it a BIG gain in value for you, BUT it should do trails smoother and well, faster at same time, and it should be darn good in the reliable dept to boot, I say go test ride and it see what seat of pants tells you!
you might not mud much, but I gather you get a LOT of snow, where a locker at times could ONLY help you!, but then again, the Yamaha I bet has higher ground clearance, so, less high centering on snow and the likes,m which is the main killer on getting stuck if you ask me! over say a locker making you go farther or not!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, i guess i could live without it if i have more power in return. Likely more psychological than anything else. I just thought it might not be a bad trade off & not be paying several grand. Some guys say the extra stuff means extra breakable crap, not too worried either way. The ground clearance is higher on the Kodiac but around an inch, & yes every little bit helps. Maybe i just dont want to have to put new tires on mine...buy a new machine instead lol

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I think I could live without bot PS and the diff loc, based on what all I do, but if you rack up the miles on trails, that PS< option I bet pays for itself faster there
and NOTHING wrong with a new machine, over an older one, some times the change alone add excitement to things, Like I said, I think it really comes down to how happy you are with what you have, can only re invent the wheel so many ways, as if you can do all you like now, how much better can it be done?? the Yamaha I think will maybe just do the same things slightly faster and smoother than your current honda!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would do it- the Kodiak would be my next ATV purchase of choice. There's a lot there for the money, even on a basic machine. Plus, I like basic. As Scotty said in one of the Star Trek movies, "The more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up".

·
Registered
31 Posts
The kodiak does not have a speedo or a gas guage. It is a totally stripped down Grizzly. Id keep your honda.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
So while frequenting my local dealer where i worked ages ago & know a few there still, i was offered a leftover 16 Kodiac 700 base machine, maybe the odd 'ad ons', but otherwise no PS and missing w/e else a Grizzly has over it. I would be trading in the 2016 Rubicon DX with 2200kms on it, still on the original tires...etc. Maybe have to throw in say...$1500 give or take a few hundred. I have been researching the Kodiac even as far back as when i bought the Rubi back in the early fall of 15.
What do you guys think? Besides the obvious motor size, the Kodiac is DOHC & 4V vs 2V push rod. The Kodiac is around 20-30lbs lighter (or so).
I dont do any big mudding or jumping for that matter, but do trail ride & sometimes we dial'r up a little over rough terrain.
Yeah, I've given this one some serious thought too. Here are my conclusions thus far:

- obvious power advantage with 700+ cc mill in the Kodiak, but I have seen more reports of engine problems with the new Kodiaks/Grizzlys than I have with the Rubicon/Foreman/Rancher
- I am persuaded that the Yamaha Ultramatic trans design is as good as they come for belt drives
- I LOVE having the display on the Foreman/Rubicon...whereas you know the base Kodiak lacks any gauge cluster or rider information
- the Rubicon has diff lock, the Kodiak does not, to me this is a big deal
- I'm a huge fan of power steering and the base Kodiak does not have it
- I feel the Rubicon/Foreman has more comfortable standing ergonomics/bars than the low-bar Kodiak, which could be changed
- Kodiak has more on-board storage

Both great machines. I'd love either. I'd go with a Kodiak EPS or Limited with diff-lock

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the reason i was looking was because of price diff/ & its a leftover. Really i never had PS on any of my other machines & survived so thats not an issue, same as diff lock, & the dash can be one more thing to frig up, like on a buds older 450 he had. The power is the main reason & i have never owned a belt machine. At the time it was the deciding factor for me getting the Rubi over the Kodiac a year & a 1/2 ago. I think i will not bother...passing thought.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I'd keep the Honda and save the dollars for a Yamaha, have both! To me Honda always has and always will be Number1 for ATVs, you've got the best, don't downgrade ;-)

Reactions: WilliamBos

·
Registered
31 Posts
But if you want long term reliable, stay honda or yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought the wife a 2016 leftover Kodiak EPS out the door for $7100. She is a small woman so was looking for a machine that wasn't too big and surprisingly the Kodiak is fairly compact. Most ATV's are too big for her.

I've got a 2016 Rancher foot shift DPS she likes (other than she doesn't like to shift gears) so we compared the Kodiak to a new Rancher Auto DCT EPS SRA (they didn't have an IRS to compare). Price was about the same but she liked the Kodiak better. (BTW...my Rancher was $5580 out the door. Foot shift models are better priced, even w/EPS).

Riding the two, I like the extra torque the Kodiak has. Since my Rancher is manual shift it's no slouch, but there is an obvious difference. The Rancher has a more cushy ride than the Kodiak. The Kodiak feels heavier, more substantial. The Rancher feels more nimble which I like. The instrumentation on the Kodiak is better and has storage and a 12v accessory plug the Rancher doesn't. They're not an apples to apples comparison except for price. Oh and the Yamaha only has a 6 month warranty where Honda gives you a year.

I like my Honda better. Wife loves her new Kodiak. One happy family.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want power don't waste your time with the Yamaha, just move right up to a 650/850/1000R Can-am.
CanAm's do have the power but....

Owned an Outlander for about a year but couldn't deal with the heat coming off the engine, would fry your leg after a few minutes of riding. And that CanAm clunk! Servicing it was a PITA. Least liked ATV we ever owned.

Sold it. Bought the Kodiak (best bang for the buck IMO).

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If you want power don't waste your time with the Yamaha, just move right up to a 650/850/1000R Can-am.
CanAm's do have the power but....

Owned an Outlander for about a year but couldn't deal with the heat coming off the engine, would fry your leg after a few minutes of riding. And that CanAm clunk! Servicing it was a PITA. Least liked ATV we ever owned.

Sold it. Bought the Kodiak (best bang for the buck IMO).
I have a few complaints too trust me lol. I've never had much problem with heat, I do run a full aftermarket exhaust and EFI tuner, and did on my last Can-am as well. There is no "clunk" in mine, or I'm just used to it. As far as working on the machine goes, if they could just weld nuts on the backside of the brackets and stuff so you didn't need a ratchet and a spanner for every single thing you take off, that would help, and maybe have it so the plastic tabs on the covers will last more than 1-2 times coming off before the tabs break and the $500 piece of plastic is junk. I could go on but I wont.

At the end of the day I can make a Can-am reliable, but I can't make a Honda ATV have 90hp+

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Nobody keeps machines for 10-20 years anymore. Most are getting traded off in 2-3. Look at the OP he's looking to ditch a 2 year old machine now....
Not in the UK, I'd say 80% of new ATVs are bought here for work use, farmers etc. There aren't many 2/3 year old machines up for sale. A majority are 08/09 at the moment.
Down to price difference I guess, a new foreman here is nearly £7000, a CanAm 1000r is £15000!!

Reactions: mac102004

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Nobody keeps machines for 10-20 years anymore. Most are getting traded off in 2-3. Look at the OP he's looking to ditch a 2 year old machine now....

Not in the UK, I'd say 80% of new ATVs are bought here for work use, farmers etc. There aren't many 2/3 year old machines up for sale. A majority are 08/09 at the moment.

Down to price difference I guess, a new foreman here is nearly £7000, a CanAm 1000r is £15000!!

But how much is a 450 Can-am? Still makes more power than any Honda lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts