Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering some new rims for the fourtrax 300fw and trying to keep weight in mind. I'm wondering a few things..

- is if the weight difference is a substantial difference between the aluminum Rubicon wheels vs it delta steel wheels?

-are the Rubicon wheels known for breaking due to being made of aluminum?

-I can't find any oem ones for sale, does anyone know of some?

· Registered
7,085 Posts
I don't have the two off currently to compare but he rubicon/rubicon wheels feel like they weigh nothing. He delta steels are a fair bit heavier but not really what I'd call "heavy" the 2001-2014 aluminum rubicon wheels are a bit hard to come by, you can use rincon wheels as well if you flip the rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the two off currently to compare but he rubicon/rubicon wheels feel like they weigh nothing. He delta steels are a fair bit heavier but not really what I'd call "heavy" the 2001-2014 aluminum rubicon wheels are a bit hard to come by, you can use rincon wheels as well if you flip the rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So are all 2001-2014 runicon wheels aluminum?
Are there any other models or years that are aluminum that would work?

Thanks in advance

· Premium Member
5,641 Posts
If you flip the wheels then the valve stem is on the inside right? Ouch that bites.
I have a set of aluminum wheels laying around in the shop I have no idea where they came from but they will not fit a Honda��

· Registered
7,085 Posts
Yes which is fine on a 300. I've heard of guys having issues with the valve stem on the inside with the enclosed rear ends, Rancher 350, current 420, Foreman 500 etc. I guess there isn't much clearance between the brake and and valve stem. I've had flipped Rinny wheels on my own 350 for about 9 years or so? and haven't had any issues, although I do run 1" spacers on it.

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
I tried running flilpped Rincon wheels on my Foreman. Got into some water weeds which wrapped around the hub and brake drum, and ripped the valve stem right out of the wheel.

Running them under non-swamp conditions or on a 420 or 300 style rear end where the brake drum is inboard would work fine.

I have Rubicon wheels on all of my Foremans, and Rincon wheels on the 420AT. I was concerned about strength and damage, but after seeing what my buddies put their Rubicons and Rincon through, with no wheel problems, I finally went aluminum on all my rigs and have had zero problems with them.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried running flilpped Rincon wheels on my Foreman. Got into some water weeds which wrapped around the hub and brake drum, and ripped the valve stem right out of the wheel.

Running them under non-swamp conditions or on a 420 or 300 style rear end where the brake drum is inboard would work fine.

I have Rubicon wheels on all of my Foremans, and Rincon wheels on the 420AT. I was concerned about strength and damage, but after seeing what my buddies put their Rubicons and Rincon through, with no wheel problems, I finally went aluminum on all my rigs and have had zero problems with them.
Trying to find a set in Canada is like pulling hens teeth

· Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I have Rubicon wheels on all of my Foremans. I was concerned about strength and damage, but after seeing what my buddies put their Rubicons and Rincon through, with no wheel problems, I finally went aluminum on all my rigs and have had zero problems with them.
Trying to find a set in Canada is like pulling hens teeth[/QUOTE

There is some confusion concerning the p/n's for the Rubicon aluminum wheels.

The early style 'round hole' .... '01 - '04 are no longer available.
They have p/n's 42650-HN0-A00 rear ...... 44650-HN0-A00 front.

The later style 'triangle hole' .... '05 - '14 are still available.
They have p/n's 42650-HN0-A60 rear ...... 44650-HN0-A60 front.

Apparently the above p/n's have been superseded by ....
p/n's 42650-HN0-505 rear ...... 44650-HN0-505 front.

Carter Honda in Vancouver, BC is able to get the superseded p/n wheels.
Quite pricey ..... but available.

If anyone can confirm this information or correct it, please do.
Thanks,
MM

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Deltas are +1” so a 2” gain in track width, there also made from thicker gauge steel than OEM wheels, so far I’ve had great luck with mine. Cheap too.

· Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Delta's are +1” so a 2” gain in track width, they're also made from thicker gauge steel than OEM wheels .....
Also have Delta wheels with OEM tires ... front/29lbs. rear/31lbs.

My objective is to have the lightest tire/wheel combination.
It was quite noticeable power-wise with the OEM 450 steel wheels and the Kenda EVO Bearclaws.

When the aluminum wheels show up here next week, I'll post the bare weight front/rear and with the OEM tires mounted up.

There should be an up-to-date tire weight chart available here .... just sayin' :icon_ rasta:

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
I'm probably mistaken...... But didnt Mac do a page write up on tire/rim weight combinations ?

· Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Wasn't aware of a wheel/tire weight chart ...... will do a search.

As an aside .... did a 'Google' search on 'Honda part number codes'.
Very enlightening ....

If any of this info has been posted before, perhaps it should be updated and given 'sticky' status.
Hopefully Mac's chart/info is available ....

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Delta's are +1” so a 2” gain in track width, they're also made from thicker gauge steel than OEM wheels .....
Also have Delta wheels with OEM tires ... front/29lbs. rear/31lbs.

My objective is to have the lightest tire/wheel combination.
It was quite noticeable power-wise with the OEM 450 steel wheels and the Kenda EVO Bearclaws.

When the aluminum wheels show up here next week, I'll post the bare weight front/rear and with the OEM tires mounted up.

There should be an up-to-date tire weight chart available here .... just sayin' :icon_ rasta:
I agree with the chart idea, would be useful. Haven’t weighed my mega mayhem’s with delta wheels but they definitely arent lightweight!

· Registered
3 Posts
If you look on eBay, you can usually get a decent 1st Gen Rubicon wheel for $50 or so. I lucked out on two of mine, they were $25 on Craigslist for both. I think many take them off and swap for steel due to them doubting if they'll hold up under hard riding/abuse. My 01 Rubicon had steel foreman wheels on it when I got it.

· Premium Member
6,580 Posts
If you look on eBay, you can usually get a decent 1st Gen Rubicon wheel for $50 or so. I lucked out on two of mine, they were $25 on Craigslist for both. I think many take them off and swap for steel due to them doubting if they'll hold up under hard riding/abuse. My 01 Rubicon had steel foreman wheels on it when I got it.
I actually said the same thing back in 2009-2010. I made fun of my buddies with their fancy aluminum wheels, pointing out that if I bend a steel wheel I can bend it back without too much trouble.

Then after watching them abuse their rigs for several years with no problems, I came across a set of Rubicon aluminum wheels cheap, bought them, and liked them enough to put them on two other machines as well.

They're tough wheels, and most importantly, very light.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
@Jeepwm69 @Macarena Man I'm curious, how does the weight of an aluminum Rubicon rim compare to the weight of a typical aftermarket aluminum rim?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.