Honda ATV Forum banner

Rubicon Power Gain

11K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  ATC4ever 
#1 ·
Ive got a 2017 Honda Rubicon 500. As much as I like the bigger bikes like the 900s and 1000s you can't beat the reliability you get with Honda. My 500 has plenty of power, theres no doubt about that. I was really looking to see if there was something I could do to give it some added power. So far I've added a K&N air filter and thats it. Im trying to stay away from putting exhaust on it because I use it for hunting as well as recreational riding. Just looking for answers/ideas.

Thanks Guys

#2 ·
I don't know for sure but you may be able to fit a cam, have a look on webcam, see if they offer anything.

#3 ·
Griffin Performance has a cam that should work, I wish there was a high compression piston to go with that but no luck. Power Commander V lets you play with the ignition timing so there should be a gain from that, I think the one from the newer foreman will work but can't confirm. An aftermarket exhaust would make a big difference but you don't want to go that route....gear reduction if your just looking to spin bigger tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I hate to say it, but if you look at it this way???

you bought a Honda for its reputation of reliably?
and NOW if your thinking of modifying it to make more power< do you NOT think that will effect the reliability of things??
as lets face it, Honda didn;t design it to be a high HP machine?
weak links are always found when you make more HP
sorry its just a fact 99% of the time, when you make more HP< you get less life out of other things,
so your some what loosing the reason you bought the atv, if reliability was that reason bu modifying things??
just food for thought for you??

#9 ·
To be completely honest, I never thought of it like that. I always give my buddies with their big 1000 can ams crap when they snap and axel or have problems with their belts. Hondas don't have a ton of power but I would rather give up the power for a bike that will outlast everything else. Thanks man

#10 ·
Adding 5hp to the thing isn't going to make it fall apart, because realistically at the rear wheels that's about all your going to get out of it. Adding inferior parts may cause problems? But if your factory with quality components I see no issues with that. Your ruin much more on the machine running a lift or big tires then you ever will adding a cam or tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
MAC I agree with you here as well, BUt also food for thought
if you modify the atv and something DOES go wrong, you just threw away the factory warranty on a NEW atv, or one still under OEM warranty

and then you have to ask yourself, is GAINING 5 HP, IF That, really worth all the costs to the mods? and possibly reliability change??
I know this is a lot of WHAT IF"S
but the facts are, a HONDA is NOT a big power atv and never will be, and most mods you do, will LOWER reliability, and NOT raise it period
be it 5 hp or More, its altered Honda engineered design of things, that MADE them have the rep they have!

there will always be exceptions to the game, and soem can mod things and run them forever and NOT have an issue, , but so will some add mods and have issue's

Stock is STOCK, Mod is mod

there TOYS< if your honest with yourself
how much risk you wish to take on you have YOUR type of fun, is and will always be YOUR call

just know the risks, is my point here?

#15 ·
HAHA< I hear you MAC
but not all folks can afford to buy an atv and add a bunch of mods and still make payments on it, and IF it goes bad, won't be un happy campers as much as maybe you would be OK with??

as its been said, you have to PAY to play, I just threw out info for folks that maybe don;'t take all sides into view

Changing the OEM< settings however will alter or VOID that OEM warranty, IF a dealer wishes to do so

and NO oem really enjoys making payments on anything broken??

I have owned a LOT of highly mod'd toys, so I ain;t throwing any stones here, LOL
BUT have for sure had to eat a bunch of costs from mods as well, to me was part of the game, but maybe others can learn from others mistakes without repeating them too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.