1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rubicon Oil /filter/diff/ear recommendations

I have a 2013 Honda Rubicon 500 ESP with about 2100km on it

Its that time of year for maintanence

Whats everyones take on
1) Oil filter i was thinking of just going OEM , is there a benefit to going to a different one?
2)OIl- Honda HP4S? other one i was thinking was Mobil 1 racing 4T- but honda would know whats best for there bike?
3)rear and diff oil, the honda oil is not full synetic so should u be going with something different?

thanks everyone for your input, i would rather sink the money into maintenance and try and make it last

Thanks again

· Registered
7,085 Posts
1) OEM filters are what I run, safest bet.
2) Amsoil 0w40 Formula FourStroke - Faster warm up times, can extend drain intervals if you wish (I don't). Just because it's Honda oil doesn't mean it's the best. They just contract out to the lowest bidder that can meet minimum specs.
3) I run Amsoil Marine Gear Lube. Keeps it's lubrication properties with up to 10% water contamination, haven't had any issues.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I too use Amsoil 0-40w oil, I used there gear oil, Think for get 75-90 severe gear is what its called) and use Napa or honda oil filters, have used a few others over the yrs, and never had any issue's
but I , tend to buy them in bulk and get way better deals, and Napa is close to me!
most important thing to make sure of is, Motor oil is wet clutch approved
and oil filter goes in CORRECT way,
about ANY modern brand name oil meeting requirements will be fine, as long as you change it as needed and fill to correct levels!

ALMOST forgot, since a LOT of folks strip there drain plugs going too tight, MAKE sure you go easy there, before causing a big issue that doesn't need to happen!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.