Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got an 04 Rubi on 30" silverbacks on crush lock rims.

One of the problems I am having is I can turn more than the CV will handle in reverse. Would like to make some sort of steering stop but for the life of me, cannot find a good spot.

Any ideas/pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If I think of a spot I'll let you know...my suggestion would be to upgrade your axles to something that will take more angle, I would say your stock axles are taking all the abuse they can suffer and then some anyway with those 30's, having run the same tires myself on the newer Rubicon...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about that too, however they are slightly upgraded axles compared to stock.

I was thinking of welding a plate on either side of the plate that holds the inner tire rods in place. Stop the bars from turning too far, however I don't think that'll fix the problem. The wheels will probably still want to move at the wheel end

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I've seen. I have to replace the bearings in the hubs so that'll take up some slop and help, but I'd still like to make stops

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It's pouring rain here otherwise I'd go look at my own machine. It would be nice it there was a factory stop, then you could just drill and tap it for a small bolt and use that to extend the stop. I suppose you could weld something on the knuckle itself that would contact the A-arm close to where the ball joint attaches to the knuckle, whether that be upper or lower would have to be something to figure out. The knuckle is cast steel but think it would be do-able.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Is there no lock stop on the column that could be modified in anyway?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't taken an in depth look for a stop on the column but I'll be putting the front end back in tomorrow so I'll take a look.

I took a quick look last fall(Canada, so I didn't even look at it all winter) and I don't think welding something to the knuckle would work. That was my original plan.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The further you go up the steering system the less effective it's going to be, closer to the wheel is ideal. My latest idea is to fabricate something on the steering stem itself, thinking maybe where it is held to the frame up high might be the best option. But like I said, it might not be 100% effective. Something like a Gorilla or Turner axle well take 40 degree angles, vs. the 26 degrees a stock axle will take....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked quickly earlier for gorilla axles but couldn't find any for my bike. Have to look in the morning.

My thoughts are the same about the strength of the stop. The further away from the wheel end, the less it will be effective.

I was thinking where the steering stem connects to the inner tie rods to make some stops there but not sure how strong that would be. Wheel will still have play.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I looked a bit more at the steering shaft idea. Turns out that's where the factory stops are. I'll think a little more about other options.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
So I looked a bit more at the steering shaft idea. Turns out that's where the factory stops are. I'll think a little more about other options.

I'm sure the stock steering lock stop could be modified to suit higher angle CV's, or even make a new one if you can get a machinist to put splines in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm sure the stock steering lock stop could be modified to suit higher angle CV's, or even make a new one if you can get a machinist to put splines in.

I need to make the locks longer? I am running slightly stronger front axles but they certainly aren't the most heavy duty ones money can buy. I am going to try welding some spacers to the current locks and see how that goes.

My only concern is the wheel ends will still be able to over steer if I get in a deep rut I think.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Are you trying to reduce the amount of steering lock you have then? I've seen cases where people do break tie rod ends where a wheel has dug into a rut. I must admit though, I've done that a few times myself and haven't yet broken a tie rod end. It makes me wonder how old these tie rod ends are when they break!

What do you use your ATV for? I think you'd have to be riding very hard to cause oversteer bad enough to break a tie rod end.

Your other option would be to fabricate something on the upper A arm as a stop, if I were going that route I'd make the stop adjustable while I was at it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's pretty much strictly a mud toy now. I've never broken a tie rod or end, but have had outer CVs let go on me because of the wheel end turning more(over steer) then designed for. I replaced the bushings in the entire front end a few weeks ago, including wheel bearings. I am sure that will help the slop.

What I'm trying to do is limit the amount of steering. I've taken a look at the knuckle/a arm to see if I could make something but I'm having a mind block. Adjustability down there would be needed, of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts