Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

Have read about swapping the foreman 500 rear swing arm and driveshaft out with a 450 to gain 2-3 inches in length. Can I swap this out on a rubicon and gain the same length?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I don't know about that , I wish that the 500-450 swingarm swop was the other way around ----------- buy another used swingarm and drive shaft off e-bay , have it stretched or do it yourself , when it is ready to go then swop it out , you won't lose any riding time and will have the stock set up if you were ever want to go back

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in northern Ontario, Canada. It's too cold most of the winter to go riding around here. I'll have all winter to do the swap.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
450 swingarm is 3" ish longer than stock Rubicon,order a used swingarm,and driveshaft off fleabay,and a swingarm bearing kit as well as a 1/2" drive-17mm allen wrench socket(unless you already have one,or access to one),and once it is all there,swap it out in an hour,or so...Check the pinion seal while the diff is free,replace it if needed(I usually install a new one whether it needs it at that time,or not)... I have pics of that swap that show what it looks like afterwards,and it is easy to do...You will need a shock relocation bracket made to relocate the lower shock mounts forward the same amount,or they will lay down at an angle too much..I used to manufacture a kit for all of this,or pieces as needed,but no longer have the facilities,or equipment...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I was unsure if it had the same benefit for the rubicon as it did with the foremans.

I am a heavy equipment mechanic; the tools are not a problem or relocating/making shock mounts.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts