Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been told by several good sources that rotella 15 40 is a great oil for for any engine or tranny application what do you know

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
It is used by quite a few in old Honda minibikes from the 70's with wet clutches (CT90 and CT110) and nobody has trouble with their fiber disk clutch plates. It is not JASO rated for wet clutches but it does not seem to cause any trouble. That weight just seems to be a little too heavy for me, especially in the winter - takes too long to get to the vital spots in the engine when cold and thick. I would be happier running it in the summer but the shop manual for my Foreman says 10w-30.

Rick

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If you choose wrong you might do damage to your engine I almost did I kept hearing tick tick when I start up, it went away when the oil warmed up, problem was the engine wasnt broke in yet I thought it was. So I switched to Rotella T-6 synthetic 5w-40 havent had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Justlooking, There are a number of very good synthetics made for a Wet Clutch (including Rotella). Honda's do very well with motorcycle/atv synthetic oil in them!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't put it in the quads yet, but I've ran it in street bikes before. Currently running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil in my Concours, KZ1000P, and XR250 with good results.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Rotella 15w40 diesel oil is JASOMA approved oil. . . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe so, but when an engineer puts several thousand miles on his bike every year with the same oil, does all that hocus pocus engineer stuff, lab tests, and what not and then reports back on the forums(where he's highly respected) I'm pretty comfortable following his lead. The diesel specific oils apparently don't include all the friction modifiers that are devious little monsters on the wet clutch system. So far I'm happy with the results in my Concours, but as with everything else-your mileage may vary!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I run Rotella T 15w-40 Diesel Oil, It is JASO-MA certified and it's an excellent oil, never had any troubles with lubrication, overheating, clutch slipping or anything. Also it's fairly cheap compared to all this "Special Formula" "Excellent Heat distribution" "Pain Relief" You name it they have it, it's all the same stuff in jugs of different prices. Oil is oil, maybe synthetic is better but they used Dino oils for a long time and things are still looking good to me. Oil is oil, it's designed to protect your engine from wear which it should all do or it shouldn't be called oil.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Rotella T and T6 synthetic are both wet clutch certified...JASO, MA

·
Premium Member
12,379 Posts
Rotella

I was a service manager for an equipment rental store for 12 years that rented everything from heavy equipment to lawn mowers and all we used in every engine was Rotella , and in the whole time I was there I never seen an engine go down -------- I put it in everything I own and for the last 16 years since leaving the rental house and have never had a problem with it , I used 15/40 in my Dodge diesel but 10/30 in everything else including all my bikes ---- I do use Lucas stabilizer in my diesel engine

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I was a service manager for an equipment rental store for 12 years that rented everything from heavy equipment to lawn mowers and all we used in every engine was Rotella , and in the whole time I was there I never seen an engine go down -------- I put it in everything I own and for the last 16 years since leaving the rental house and have never had a problem with it , I used 15/40 in my Dodge diesel but 10/30 in everything else including all my bikes ---- I do use Lucas stabilizer in my diesel engine
Hey. .I worked for RSC for 10years as a service tech. Who did you work for?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I sent you a message , I bet you poured and or pumped many of gallons of Rotella at RSC
More than I want to count. . Bought it by the 500 gallon. Lol and AW56

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You guys need to pay attention to the JASO-MA ratings for sure. Lots of people think Rotella T6 is superior simply because it is synthetic. Truth is, I don't think any of it has the JASO-MA approval, I drive a 6.0 Diesel now and I have researched the hell out of oil. Delvac, Delo and Rotella 15w40 will all work in our applications. Whichever is on sale is what I would use. You're wasting money if you're buying the T6 in my opinion.

There are two classifications for motorcycles, "MA" and "MB." MA is the one you want. MB has friction reducing chemicals that allegedly causes problems with clutches. There is an official JASO seal if the oil has been independently tested. The seal is a rectangle... in the upper quarter of the rectangle will be a serial number, and the lower three quarters will just have the letters MA. If the oil manufacturer did their own testing, instead you'll see just words like "Meets or exceeds JASO MA standards."

·
Premium Member
12,379 Posts
I 'll stick with Rotella in everything I own , have never seen a problem with any engine I have used it in , have never had anything but Rotella in all my ATV's , golf carts , trucks , zero turn, lawn mowers , log splitter , air compressor , welding machine , my atv's get rode hard as family and friends are always over and most are raggers as they don't care as it is not thier's , I'd have to say the trails we ride are extreme conditions , I would bet that 90% of all equipment and truck companies in this area use it , so I consider it proven and tested to work in any engine even if the transmission is incorporated in the engine with clutch disc which state requirements , Rotella is used in a lot of heavy equipment transmissions , many manufactures use one oil in every part of the machine , weather it be , engines , transmissions , final drives , swing boxes , hydraulic systems , hydro static systems -------------- an oil story I never forget , I had a 79 Ford F150 4x4 with a 400M/C and my Dad was a Pennzoil guy so I was too , had a valve cover leak and when I changed the gasket the engine was coated with what I would call wax and had clogged up the journals not allowing oil to get back to the oil pan , later learned that Pennzoil was heavy on the paraffin , what a mess that was ---------I will use Castrol

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I 'll stick with Rotella in everything I own , have never seen a problem with any engine I have used it in , have never had anything but Rotella in all my ATV's , golf carts , trucks , zero turn, lawn mowers , log splitter , air compressor , welding machine , my atv's get rode hard as family and friends are always over and most are raggers as they don't care as it is not thier's , I'd have to say the trails we ride are extreme conditions , I would bet that 90% of all equipment and truck companies in this area use it , so I consider it proven and tested to work in any engine even if the transmission is incorporated in the engine with clutch disc which state requirements , Rotella is used in a lot of heavy equipment transmissions , many manufactures use one oil in every part of the machine , weather it be , engines , transmissions , final drives , swing boxes , hydraulic systems , hydro static systems -------------- an oil story I never forget , I had a 79 Ford F150 4x4 with a 400M/C and my Dad was a Pennzoil guy so I was too , had a valve cover leak and when I changed the gasket the engine was coated with what I would call wax and had clogged up the journals not allowing oil to get back to the oil pan , later learned that Pennzoil was heavy on the paraffin , what a mess that was ---------I will use Castrol
Which Rotella? They are not all the same. Taking oil samples is the best indicator of what is best for your vehicle. Again, if you are buying T6, you're throwing your money away.

And your story about Pennzoil? Simply not true. It's just an old story that keeps getting repeated over and over and over again. Until eventually, people have their own story. Many people believe the term paraffinic to be synonymous with wax. Some have the misconception that paraffinic oils will coat the engine with a wax film that can result in engine deposits. This is not true. All oils, yes e
ven Castrol is formulated from paraffinic base oils.

If you really want to know more about it, google it, or look at this:

A paraffin is just a common name for a saturated C-H chain (hydrocarbon chain). In chemistry they are known as an alkane. The term paraffinic base oil is derived from the term paraffin, meaning a saturated hydrocarbon based oil.

Almost all motor oils contain, or, are mostly paraffin's (alkanes), including Group I, II, III, IV and many oils in Group V. The exception in motor oils are the ones based on esters (Group V) and other oils which are not paraffins in Group V, but a motor oil using only ester base oils is rare.

Paraffin is sometimes confused with paraffin wax. A paraffin isn’t necessarily a wax. There are paraffin type compounds and then there are paraffin waxes. The shorter paraffins (alkanes) like methane (CH4) and ethane (C2H6) are gaseous at room temperature. As the hydrocarbon chain gets longer ~ 10C, the C-H chained molecules become liquid at room temperature (oils), and when you have a long straight chain with ~20C atoms or more, the molecules will form a crystalline structure at room temperature known as a wax.

PAO's are made from alkenes, which are not paraffins (alkane's). Alkenes = olefin = C-H molecule with at least one double C=C bond. Modern PAO's are hydrogenated to remove any remaining C=C double bonds (saturate the carbon atoms with hydrogen) to increase their thermal/oxidative stability, which in effect turns the chained alkenes in the PAO into alkanes, which are paraffin's. So, hydrogenated PAO's (Group IV) are paraffin's too.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Used to hear the same thing about quaker state. . Shell makes Rotella and Penzoil same oil different name

1 - 20 of 111 Posts