Honda ATV Forum banner

rincon wont turn over

12K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  hudsonfireman 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum. I have a 04 Honda rincon 4x4 automatic and it will not turn over (it does not have a pull rope). I have replaced the starter and the selenoid. I have also rewired the battery and starter. It sat up for about 6 months and now when when you push to start all it does is make a click. The dash comes on when you turn key on but when you push to start it goes off. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If it clicks, then the wiring to the solenoids is more than likely OK. Jump across the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it turns over. If it doesn't, check the wiring and ground on the starter. Jump directly to the starter terminals from the battery using jumper cables. Make sure the ground terminal to the starter is clean and tight on both ends.

You've obviously got a wiring/ground problem, just need to find where.

#4 ·
If you jumped from the battery using jumper cables to the starter, both terminals, and it didn't turn over, then are you sure the battery is charged? You might have gotten a bad starter because there really isn't anything to stop the starter from turning if you jump directly from the battery, assuming the battery is charged and the jumper cables are good.

Turn the key and lights on, and then check the battery voltage with a meter.

#7 ·
The dash comes on when you turn key on but when you push to start it goes off.
This makes me think, either your battery is bad or you have a bad connection somewhere. I would double check your connections at the battery and solenoid and make sure they're clean and tight.

#8 · (Edited)
I missed the most important part of that last sentence about the dash lights going off..... But, that's why I said to turn the lights on and check the battery.

I tend to think it's the battery given that the dash goes out, but that's just a guess. If it were a wiring problem, the voltage wouldn't drop because it would have a poor connection. Something is drawing down the battery, but there isn't enough current produced to turn over the starter, so it sounds like a battery problem to me.

Jump it to a car, but leave the car turned OFF. See if it will turn over.

#10 ·
Sounds more like they need to have more income instead of you needing an $800 charger, but at least you'll get your bike back. :)

If you don't run it often, buy a battery tender and plug it in a few times a month for an overnight boost. Some people leave it plugged in all the time but I don't personally think that is necessary, but it won't do any harm either.

#12 ·
Sounds like the one way starter bearing is bad. I think Honda calls it the starter clutch, but it's just a one-way bearing.

#13 ·
The part that's bad is #3 in the diagram below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.