Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 05 rincon I just got. It only starts in neutral. And when I shift from neutral to drive or reverse, it grinds alittle. Is this normal? Also it has 25"tires. Max pressure it sais is 5psi. What r most of u guys running?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I run about 5 PSI. The gauge I have isn't accurate below 10 so I just blow them up until they feel full but not more than a few psi.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Are you holding in the brake lever when you are trying to start it in gear? It will only start in gear with the brake applied. And grinding going into gear is not normal. Check your oil level, the engine and tranny share the same oil. If it were me I would change the oil and make sure that you use JASO-MA oil, you never know what the PO used.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Is it the model with the shifter below the handle bar that has N,R,and D. My boss has a Rincon 680 and it grinds when you shift gear form N to R or D, so I told him to try to adjust his idle. Is yours a 680?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed the oil and filter. Oil level is dead on. Yes jdp, the shifter is a hand lever that is on the left, below the handlebars. Didnt have the brake on while trying to start it in gear. Will try that. This is a 650.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If it has a carb you'll want to adjust the idle. I know it says jdp on my profile but I ment to put my name jd but it wouldnt let me. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It idles good. I think if i turned it down anymore it would stall.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
hmm this is confusing. ?

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Josh, Try switching to synthetic oil. I think you'll notice quite a difference. Be sure to use an oil that is formulated for use in a motorcycle/atv with a WET clutch. I personally use Mobil1-4T.

Five PSI is normal in your tires.

You can start your Rincon by:
1. Putting it in neutral
2. Depressing the Right brake handle while it is in a gear.

Grinding is not normal. My Rincon shifts like it's in butter and all I hear when shifting between Drive and Reverse is a light and smooth click. It is possible that your idle could be a little fast. Just turning it down a couple hundred rpm's could make a difference. Also, the type of oil that is in the machine could make a considerable difference. If someone put regular automotive oil in it, it could goof up the operation of the clutch. Again, you might want to try draining the present oil, and replacing it with a good quality (synthetic) oil made for a wet clutch.
Good luck sir.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I didn't even think of the oil change, I was going to put that on here but you beat me to it lol. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just did an oil change. Used Maxima Premium 4. 10w40. Gonna take it out for the first good ride on sunday. Unless it snows tomorrow, then gonna play with the plow. lol. will try turning the idle down alittle. Will let you guys know. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will check it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Starts in gear with brake on. Got it to stop grinding completely buy turning idle way down, but then it stalls when you go to pull out. Adjusted back up alittle, grind is very little. For a split second, nothing like it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
grinding noise when shifting trx650fa

Starts in gear with brake on. Got it to stop grinding completely buy turning idle way down, but then it stalls when you go to pull out. Adjusted back up alittle, grind is very little. For a split second, nothing like it was.
Hi,i have the same problem,but after the oil change(repsol 10w/50 racing),adjusting the idle 980-1080(its the minimum) and the shift free play adjustment i just don't know what else to do.Any ideas please!!!Thanks in advance and sorry for my English!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was hoping that the OP found the answer to this. I just bought a 2005 Rincon 650 and it has a grinding noise going into drive only.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
We are installing the final shifter from a Big Red in the Rincon I am building. Word on HighLifter says its a worthwhile modification and no more shift issues and having to constantly adjust the shifter. I should know if for myself in a couple months. For now adjust the shifter and make sure the Rincon is warmed up before shifting. Also sometimes you might have to go into reverse then throw it into forward. Never ease them into gear. You don't know many outboard motor lower units require service because people don't throw them into gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Josh, Try switching to synthetic oil. I think you'll notice quite a difference. Be sure to use an oil that is formulated for use in a motorcycle/atv with a WET clutch. I personally use Mobil1-4T.

Five PSI is normal in your tires.

You can start your Rincon by:
1. Putting it in neutral
2. Depressing the Right brake handle while it is in a gear.

Grinding is not normal. My Rincon shifts like it's in butter and all I hear when shifting between Drive and Reverse is a light and smooth click. It is possible that your idle could be a little fast. Just turning it down a couple hundred rpm's could make a difference. Also, the type of oil that is in the machine could make a considerable difference. If someone put regular automotive oil in it, it could goof up the operation of the clutch. Again, you might want to try draining the present oil, and replacing it with a good quality (synthetic) oil made for a wet clutch.
Good luck sir.
I have a rincon 680 FI grinds into reverse and wont go into reverse I have replaced and cleaned the idle control valve and still wont go seems like high idle but cant adjust or I just dont know how on a FI I know how to on Carb this is kicking my butt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts