Honda ATV Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Ok, I've tested the injector with the ohmmeter, it reads 11.6 resistance, I think that's within spec. Took the head off, cleaned the carbon off the valves, checked the cylinder wall, not even a scratch on it, checked that the cam chain hadn't jumped a gear, all the marks line up at TDC, put it all back together and it still does the same thing, will start and idle fine, but sputters and backfires through the throttle body when I give it gas. The FI light does not come on at any time except if I unplug something while the engine is running. Don't know what else to check. Any other suggestions?

Did you adjust the valves as well while you had it apart?

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Haven't seen any valves like that on this model, thanks for the help, I'll keep plugging away at it, hopefully I'll have a eureka moment soon.

What about fuel filter in the gas tank?

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Well its been almost a year since I started this thread, I actually fixed the problem with the Rincon a long time ago. It wasn't anything electrical or to do with the fuel injection system at all- but thats what I kept thinking it had to be, finally I got so frustrated I took the top off the engine to check the piston/rings and they were perfect but I did notice the cam lobes on the camshaft were pretty worn, I don't own any of those micrometers or calipers or whatever to measure the wear on the lobe, I could just feel the edges on each lobe seemed to be sharpened like a knife instead of being a machined edge, so I ordered a new camshaft and cam followers, installed everything, crossed my fingers, started the engine and she ran like brand new again. The bike doesn't have a whole lot of hours but it gets "borrowed" by family members all the time to go out fishing or hunting so it must have taken alot of abuse from all the different drivers for the camshaft to wear out like that.

Did anything I said about taking the throttle body apart and clean it make any sense? Just curious. The E3 won my vote, great power and better starts. Go to youtube and type in E3 spark plugs technology explained. Gearz tv Stacey David, along with michigan tech does a great job of makin sense of it.

I am friends with Stacy David. He does his show about 7 miles from my house

Definitely a problem I've never heard of- but that kinda worries me because my bike can see a lot of different riders

Well its been almost a year since I started this thread, I actually fixed the problem with the Rincon a long time ago. It wasn't anything electrical or to do with the fuel injection system at all- but thats what I kept thinking it had to be, finally I got so frustrated I took the top off the engine to check the piston/rings and they were perfect but I did notice the cam lobes on the camshaft were pretty worn, I don't own any of those micrometers or calipers or whatever to measure the wear on the lobe, I could just feel the edges on each lobe seemed to be sharpened like a knife instead of being a machined edge, so I ordered a new camshaft and cam followers, installed everything, crossed my fingers, started the engine and she ran like brand new again. The bike doesn't have a whole lot of hours but it gets "borrowed" by family members all the time to go out fishing or hunting so it must have taken alot of abuse from all the different drivers for the camshaft to wear out like that.
Worn cams are actually pretty common on the Rincon's.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Well its my father in laws bike but since i have the tools i get to be the designated mechanic in the family. Oh ya I think it was more like 12,000.00 with the freight added on to get it up here.

Sir, No where in the manual does it (Honda) suggest using compressed air. Using compressed air on a FI system can be risky and I'd advise against it. Sometimes, compressed air can lodge debris even deeper into a spot; making it even more difficult to remedy the situation.
I'm glad to hear that there are no Error Codes or lights. That pretty much eliminates anything electrical.
Hey how’s it going.. I’m having the same kinda problem but I do have lights blinking.. 3slow and 5 fast.. or 5 fast and 3 slow.. I checked the other day but forgot atm I can check again to make sure on what it is. But any suggestions on what it could be. Thank you

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.