Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to look at my father in-law's Rincon 680, it starts and idles normal, but when you give it throttle, it bogs down and is basically undriveable over 15km/h. Sounds like its shooting air back through the throttle body/airbox when you give it gas instead of sucking the air in. I was thinking it might be a dirty injector or a plugged fuel filter, so I took the fuel pump apart/drained it and blew the filter with the air gun and soaked the injector in injector cleaner, then sprayed it out with air, but it didn't help at all (there is also injector cleaner in the gas). Then I grabbed an injector from one of my 420's and put It in the Rincon, and I know they are different sizes or whatever, but it worked for a few hours, the bike drove fine, but just wouldn't idle smoothly and now its doing the same thing again, sooo I switched back to the original injector. Also the spark plug turns black after only a minute or 2 of running, I took it out 3 or 4 times and cleaned it off while I was trying different things with the injector. Any ideas on what is happening? I don't mind ordering a new injector but no sense spending 80 bucks if I don't have to, right?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
fill the tank with fresh fuel and put seafoam in it. Try to take the throttle body off and clean it and replace or clean the mass air flow sensor if it has one. A third thing is I'd install an E3 spark plug Dimond fire electrode increases HP and MPG and LESS emsissions. Look up E3 spark plugs.com and go to spark plugs hit atv. and you'll see it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, so I'm thinking if there is carbon buildup on the throttle body then there is probably excessive carbon on the valves and piston as well, thus the blackened spark plug. Any recommended engine cleaners for that.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sabre: What year is it? Is it injected or carbureted? Sounds like a fuel restriction.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2011 fuel injected.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sabre, Sorry, I didn't see your notation about the fuel injector in your original statement. My fault.
A black plug definitely indicates that it is getting too much fuel, rather than enough, OR, that the fuel it is getting, isn't getting ignited properly.
Do you have fresh gas in the Rincon? If not, drain the gas and put fresh gas in. Gas, (with ethanol) goes bad quickly these days, so having and using fresh gas is very important. If your machine sits for more than a month or two, then be sure to put some 'Stabil' in the gas to help preserve it.

You might try changing the spark plug. Plugs DO go back and can misfire. I always carry an extra spark plug with me. Keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the help guys. The gas is fresh, no ethanol. I just put a new iridium plug in it less than a month ago. We live up in the boonies on the arctic ocean coast, so I had to order it in, stupid me should have ordered more than one. I'll have to order some more plugs and I will try the E3 you mentioned above, but are there any other compatible plugs you know of that I can use for now? I think they carry a few NGK, champion and Honda plugs at the little store here, would just need a number. I looked up the number for the 680 on the parts fiche and it only shows the iridium plug.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Did anything I said about taking the throttle body apart and clean it make any sense? Just curious. The E3 won my vote, great power and better starts. Go to youtube and type in E3 spark plugs technology explained. Gearz tv Stacey David, along with michigan tech does a great job of makin sense of it.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sabre, the Iridium plug you got is actually a better plug than the E3. So, stick with the Iridium plug. The part number for the NGK Iridium plug (for the Rincon) is: NGK BKR5EIX-11.
It's possible that you might need a new injector, but unlikely. It is very unusual that an injector would go bad.

You can check the fuel injector if you have an OHM meter. If you do have an OHM meter, disconnect the Black/Yellow, and the Green/Blue (2) fuel injector wires. Then measure the resistance (with your meter on ohms) across the injector. The resistance should be very close to 12 ohms. If it is much more, or less, then you could have a faulty injector. (A faulty injector could cause flooding of the cylinder, resulting in the black spark plug).

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did anything I said about taking the throttle body apart and clean it make any sense? Just curious. The E3 won my vote, great power and better starts. Go to youtube and type in E3 spark plugs technology explained. Gearz tv Stacey David, along with michigan tech does a great job of makin sense of it.
Absolutely, I'm going to clean the throttle body completely out, there is a lot of black carbon built up in the intake side.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sabre, I have a service manual on the 680 Rincon (injected) and it indicates a thorough cleaning of the fuel system and a check of the injector.

Also, are you getting any blinking from the FI light in the upper right corner of your instrument display? If so, count the blinks and let me know how many you are getting.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Sabre, I have a service manual on the 680 Rincon (injected) and it indicates a thorough cleaning of the fuel system and a check of the injector.

Also, are you getting any blinking from the FI light in the upper right corner of your instrument display? If so, count the blinks and let me know how many you are getting.
Thanks
It's not like taking it apart and blowing it out with compressed air is it, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sabre, the Iridium plug you got is actually a better plug than the E3. So, stick with the Iridium plug. The part number for the NGK Iridium plug (for the Rincon) is: NGK BKR5EIX-11.
It's possible that you might need a new injector, but unlikely. It is very unusual that an injector would go bad.

You can check the fuel injector if you have an OHM meter. If you do have an OHM meter, disconnect the Black/Yellow, and the Green/Blue (2) fuel injector wires. Then measure the resistance (with your meter on ohms) across the injector. The resistance should be very close to 12 ohms. If it is much more, or less, then you could have a faulty injector. (A faulty injector could cause flooding of the cylinder, resulting in the black spark plug).

JD: There is no 'throttle body' on a fuel injected model (as there is on a carbureted model).
I will check that possibility as well. I do have a multimeter.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sounds good Sabre. The manual also states that you might check the TP sensor. If the injector looks okay, let me know and I'll copy and send you the instructions for checking the TP sensor. Thanks, Kent

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have to use carb cleaner or something to get the carbon out of all the nooks and crannies, then compressed air I guess.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, there is no MIL light flashing at all. It comes on if I unplug the sensors but when they're all plugged in there is no light.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Hmm puzzling isnt it?

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sir, No where in the manual does it (Honda) suggest using compressed air. Using compressed air on a FI system can be risky and I'd advise against it. Sometimes, compressed air can lodge debris even deeper into a spot; making it even more difficult to remedy the situation.
I'm glad to hear that there are no Error Codes or lights. That pretty much eliminates anything electrical.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Sir, No where in the manual does it (Honda) suggest using compressed air. Using compressed air on a FI system can be risky and I'd advise against it. Sometimes, compressed air can lodge debris even deeper into a spot; making it even more difficult to remedy the situation.
I'm glad to hear that there are no Error Codes or lights. That pretty much eliminates anything electrical.
If ya don't use air to get it out what's the right way to get debris out?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts