Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
most times a wobble is either a bent wheel, or a bad wheel bearing, like really bad bearing
ONCE is a while you will get a BAD tire, but if this just started, I say odds are you have a bent wheel
try swapping rear wheels from one side to the other and see if that moves the wobble or not?

IF NOT then its a wheel bearing most likely
COULD also be a bent axle too?

and have to ask WHY did you put tubes in your tires?
your typically better off NOT doing so, as it makes it a LOT harder to do trail side flat repairs
as NON tubed atv tires can normally just be plugged up, and good to go again, and a plug in a tire can last many many yrs, and IF it leaks just replace with a new plug?
SO< just food for thought for you maybe?

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
let me take a guess at this one , but first say it would help people help you to give more info , like what kind of bike , what size tire , new or old , etc , etc ------ I would guess since you tubed the tire , then the tire is an old tire and leaked air , and it sat on a flat for a while before you fixed it , now it wobbles because it is deformed , if that is the case maybe if you leave it in the sin it will straight out , maybe not

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Since it is the rear tire I would guess that either the castle nut is loose,and the hub is wobbling on the axle end,the wheel is loose on the studs,the wheel is bent,the tire is deformed..Jack the rear of atv up off the ground securely,grab that wheel,and wiggle it paying close attention to the hub to axle meeting area,the wheel to hub mounting area,then rotate the axle with the atv in neutral to see if the wheel itself is out of round,or if it is the tire itself..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 2002 honda recon 250. I took the wheel off yesterday and the hub moves just like the wheel itself. However, the left side of the bike doesnt move at all like the right one does. That makes me think its not a bad axled because its just the right side that moves strangly.

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
from what you saying now , I would guess the bearing is going out or could be the spline of the hub and axle is worn out

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
There should be a bearing on both sides, so, if it gets worn on just the one side, well NO won't move other side, just the one side, it could also wear the axle shaft too, causing the wobble, from play from bad bearings on one side only

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
well before you replace parts, you should be looking at them and making sure there bad, to save your money
some times taking something apart before ordering parts is a much better idea
as it will show you whats really wrong

was this atv ever rolled or in a accident, beat on or??
as that too can be a issue?
and a bearing won't fix that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
mrbb
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing