Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2012 Honda Recon 250 that has just started to act up. When I put it in reverse the right front tire locks up. When I go forward it rolls fine. Can someone advise what the problem is and its fix please? I have noticed that when I hold the red reverse button down I also have to hold the brake arm closed and then release everything and the amber reverse light comes on. When the right front wheel is locked up the left hand brake handle is fully released. I think something is stuck there at the left handlebar lever or somewhere down at the wheel itself. Your advice and expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Richard.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
welcome. for starters, both the left and right hand brake levers do not work together. left brake lever only operates the reverse and rear brake, these have nothing to do with why your front right wheel/brake is locking up ?. as for the red light ( reverse ) coming on when you push the red button down, pull the left brake lever ?, this is the way they are designed, you must push the red button down, all while pulling left brake lever in order to go into reverse. otherwise, the left hand brake lever only operates the rear brakes. as for the front right wheel locking up ?, this can mean bad brake shoes ?, sticking wheel cylinder ?, master cylinder not working right ?, collapsed brake line ?, bad wheel bearing would cause this as well ?. who knows ?, until you tear it down, and have a look :). p.s. down load the service manual from our site, and dig in !.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Had a buddys truck do this one time and it was one of the caliper bolts had fallen completely out and it was jamming on the rim only in reverse. I dont know literally anything about utility quads so if its drum brakes im at a loss. My .02

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Had a buddys truck do this one time and it was one of the caliper bolts had fallen completely out and it was jamming on the rim only in reverse. I dont know literally anything about utility quads so if its drum brakes im at a loss. My .02
recons are drum brakes :).

Reactions: SlammedRanger

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I'll take a wild guess... a brake shoe return spring (and/or anchor pin) is broken, rusted in two or has fallen off. As @shadetree advised, ya gotta take the drum off to find & fix the problem. Liberal use of the service manual is recommended, its the best tool you'll ever possess. :)

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Wadda ya think fella's, front right brake shoe bad?
just a guess on my part. i aint got past the year 2000 yet...

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
I have an Odes 400 atv and front tires locking up in reverse please help
tear the front wheels down, have a look at the brake shoes, see if the brake lining has came off the shoe ?.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts