Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious where different members do their recreational riding. Flat forested trails, low wetland riding, mountain Forest Service trails? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place I don't see too many photos of the scenery with ATV's in the foreground and where folks ride. I have the great privilege of mountain trail riding and have only scratched the surface of the area we have available to us. Looking forward to the 2016 riding season.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Our 'topo' here in British Columbia is much like yours ...... beautiful!
Thousands and thousands of miles of logging road in every condition here, with virtually no restrictions.

Being a former logger ..... your second photo looks to have some 'bug kill' timber ?
Enjoy your photo's !

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
in my home state, most of what we ride here is old coal mine lands, either left as is, or re claimed by the state, with a large amount of old roads left behind!
can be super steep or some what flat every couple hundred yards
scenery isn't that great by most folks standards, in fact, much of the coal mine lands are called eye sore's in out area by a lot of the public

we do have a lot of forests here as well, which you get some better scenery and get to ride old logging roads and powerline roads, and some Natural gas ways!
but 99% of these lands in all are private and most riders are trespassing to ride there
in PA< we have very little free to the public places to ride
trespassing to ride is the norm, and law enforcement is very lax in helping land owners
and as such, all the riders trespass at will knowing odds of a fine are small
a shame to me
but its where folks up here ride

I'm lucky I have about 10,000+ acres I have access to LEGALLY
but few riders in pa play by the legal rules to ride!

I wish I had the scenery you guys to
I have been lucky enough to make it to the rocky's, both in the USA< and Canada, and the sights were always worth the travel!
I wish I could spend more time in places like that to be honest!
but budget doesn';t allow, so, stuck here in PA ! LOL

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Macarena Man, yes, we've had our share of beetle kill in our area, we need a good ole fashion winter of about 45 below for 3 weeks or so to kill those stubborn little suckers. Would love to see some of your photos of the areas you ride in. I can't imagine riding anywhere else than we do and being new to the sport, wondering why we didn't bite the bullet and do it years ago when our kids were small. Now they're all but gone and have their own interests. Each time we go and find a new area I just want everybody to see the beauty of Gods creation. Areas that I would never have seen without the use of our trail systems and having a dependable ATV to get us there. Looking forward to getting our other one back from the shop to be able to take others with us.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
mrbb, would love to be able to share it, holy cow it's a long ways from PA to MT!!!!!! I understand, I guess you'll have to live vicariously through our phots:laugh: Problem is, our riding season is unbelievably short. Trails don't open til June 16th and we're stating to get snow sometimes latter part of September, Trails shut down around the end of October but to get caught up in the Mountains on some of these trails when they are wet is well.........butt puckering to say the least. They're awesome when they're dry not so much when wet or snow covered.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
mrbb, would love to be able to share it, holy cow it's a long ways from PA to MT!!!!!! I understand, I guess you'll have to live vicariously through our phots:laugh: Problem is, our riding season is unbelievably short. Trails don't open til June 16th and we're stating to get snow sometimes latter part of September, Trails shut down around the end of October but to get caught up in the Mountains on some of these trails when they are wet is well.........butt puckering to say the least. They're awesome when they're dry not so much when wet or snow covered.
Freedomflyer
I have been out your way a few times over the yrs, spent a bunch of time's
from Glacier National Park area, Bozeman, and into Cooke CIty, and the west entrance of Yellow stone Park

I have also been snowmobiling out west, in places in MT like Cooke City, and down from there to Pinedale WY, along the Continental divide

the scenery is also outstanding in winter time as it is in summer and fall, and spring!
each has its perks of things to see!
have to admit I like the color changes of fall best!

I been lucky I been able to travel a lot over the yrs, in many ways, been able to ride atv' and motorcycles snowmobiles and 4x4 trucks and jeeps in a lot of cool places across the lower 48 and Alaska and into many parts Canada,

almost all make me wish I could go back for more seat time there
its funny how we can take for granted things so easy!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If possible you ought to make the trek again and maybe we could meet up an go someplace I haven't been yet. My wife and I would definitely like to get over to the Cooke City area, I think we're going to try to get into Northern Idaho Late July mid August, I've been researching that area looks to be pretty awesome. It also sounds like you've done more riding in my state than I have.:redface: At least more areas than I have, but "Lord willin' and we stay healthy" we've got some good years ahead of us to roll over a bunch of trails. There's dozens in our area that we still haven't even touched yet.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mountains in the winter as well, just on a different type of machine. Something made for the snow that doesn't have wheels that need to keep you where you're going:smile:

Been up around West Yellowstone several time on sleds and it's a blast, have to make a choice on which toy to have and the 4 wheelers seem to be the most versatile, great for moving the white stuff in the winter months.

The ATV was more or less the wife's idea, but I'm going to keep working on her and hope to talk her into a road bike at some point. That's fun too!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Haha, I hear you, I sold my selds yrs back to get a. Wheeler due to more seasons to use it, but I missed the sleds, so, had to have them tooHah.
I also have always been a motorcycle guy, lost count on how many I have gone thru over the yrs. More MX type than street bikes, but owned a bunch of them too.
I think over the yrs I have had about all the different types of toys you can ride roads, dirt or paved, or snow, and even water, boats and jet ski's
like I said been lucky to have had all the things I had.
as for getting out your way again. I really do hope to again, if my budget ever allows for more trips, But I think it will another snowmobile trip, before an ATV one.
for crazy reasons, I still seem to like sleds better. Not by much, but if I swing another trip, it will be in the snow LOL

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been trying to talk the wife into some sleds too, we have one more at home and he has two years of school left so the empty nest is coming. We don't need anything new and there are always killer deals on Craigslist when spring comes. Generally people who haven't used them as much as they thought they would, and find they are just taking up space. I've seen pairs that are 8-10 years old, been stored in a garage or heated space with 1500-2000 miles on them in perfect shape, with a two place trailer for 5000-6000 dollars. So if we ever did that would probably be what we would go for. I don't have to have new, even though my wife did grow up on sleds when we have ridden we don't get too carried away and go side hill traversing or anything too crazy. Too many folks taken out each year by avalanches in our area. Too much high marking on the steep slopes and not enough common sense I guess. I'll keep you posted if we ever acquire anything, that would be a lot of fun to meet up. FF

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Have enjoyed Montana many times ..... numerous motorcycle trips.
Beartooth is a favorite, as is Chief Joseph, Marias, and Going to the Sun.
Am a native of southern Alberta ...... now living in B.C.
You have a great State. Nice folks ...... have always felt welcome ..... it's kinda' like Alberta.
Are you down around Butte ........ the home of the late Evel Knievel ?

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I too cannot see the prices of new sleds, way too much $$ for them, when like you said older one's in great shape can be had for fraction of the costs, I just grabbed a older sled with 1100 miles on it for a steal, and am working a deal on a second one right now, off season can sure help find deals.
I am not into the crazy stuff anymore either, sillwill like HP and speed at times, but I just enjoy being out there seeing different things.
Street bikes? I prefer spped bikes than cruiser's, too many yrs of racing, I think its still in my DNA, when I get on bikes, getting better at going more for rides on them than speed runs, Lol. But hard to go slow on things that go so fast so easy Haha!

Montana has some great hunting too. , however I did more hunting in ND to be honest, had a great bird dog, that me and him did a bunch of hunts for pheasants in ND/SD, .cheaper tags and lic.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's funny you should mention that about the Road bikes, there's something about cracking that throttle and feeling the acceleration. My folks bought me a little Honda CL100 when I was in the 6th grade, kind of a little scrambler not a dirt bike nor full blown road bike the exhaust came up under the seat on the right side. It had a small rear sprocket, the speedometer went to 80 and it would do every bit of that, I rode the snot out of that thing gravel or pavement I had the throttle cracked all the way. When I was 18 bought a brand new Yamaha 750 Maxim inline 4 cylinder that bike hauled butt, I infact still have it in my shed, keep thinking about getting a full restoration on it for sentimental reasons, would probably be worth it, to me anyway. I see these new bullet bikes and would love to get on a closed course and see what if I had the guts to take it all the way up through the gears. I've watched a lot of you tube videos of guys riding them and it looks like they've got a governor that stops them at 299kmph (187mph) I'd still like to try it. At 52 I think it would be a great thrill.
I do know that if I get a bike it won't be a bullet bike, wife for sure wouldn't allow that. But this is what I'll be looking to get when that time comes, Honda Valkyrie. It's 1500cc 6 speed transmission, Goldwing motor on more of a cruiser chassis, I took this bike for a ride was doing 130 in the blink of an eye and was smooooooothee as silk:icon_ lala::icon_ lala: Was really nice just didn't have the $ at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright, Alright that's enough reminiscing! I thought this was a "Riding Topography" thread, clean it up, clean it up!:laugh: Just kidding, I had my share of bikes to but the 4 wheeled kind are where it's at for me now. Don't have to worry so much about balance.:dry:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Macarena,
Yes as a matter of fact we are near Butte, well......as near to Butte as we want to be....Oh did I say that in my out loud Text? Sorry, I think each state/Province has it's town that they don't care for, Butte is ours. Anyway we are only 70 miles/110 km away I hear they have some great trails over there, that area is called pipestone and it is on our list to go ride, heard it's pretty easy but very busy, I kind of like the more secluded areas personally like the area over by Beartooth Pass out of Red Lodge Montana. That's another area we plan on hitting this summer and is quite a bit more secluded and not so busy. However extremely busy in the winter time with snowmobilers.
Thank you for the compliment I like where I live and feel extremely fortunate to live here. My wife and I plan to do some visiting north of the border at some point soon, our son is going on a mission trip with his school to Nicaragua and my wife and I will probably go as well so once we get our pass ports will have the freedom to visit north. I'd like to see the Area north of our Glacier Park.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrbb, yes we do have good hunting, that's another thing I'm grateful for, My cousin has 9000 acres of which one side of her property borders Ted Turners Flying D Ranch so the Elk jump from his to hers over a barb-less fence. She's very generous and lets people(Residents) sign up for day hunts on her property and I respect the fact that she treats me no differently. If I don't call early enough and get on the list I'm out of luck. She prefers that people take the cows and not the bulls, I'm not necessarily a horn hunter anyway so I'm content with eating the cows, horns are a little hard to chew. We were blessed this last fall and pulled 3 cows off of her place. I shot mine around 7:30 my daughter got hers at about 10:30 and my son 15 minutes before shooting light ended. Spent 4 days processing the meat. Needless to say our freezer has been well stocked over the winter and will be through the summer. Very nice not to have to buy meat at the store cuts way down on the grocery bill plus ooooohhhh soooooooo gooooood! And better for you anyway.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
well here are a copuple of my area here, not this spring, but last winbter and such, don't have any new one's
BUT your last pic's had me thinking fishing, you have great fishing out your way too, nice CLEAN FRESH waters
I just bought a fishing lic here in PA< , first one is a few yrs now, and , its a shame to me, we had great trout waters when I was a kid, now in the rule book, theer is like 5-8 full pages about warning on NOT to eat more than 2 fish a week, how to cut them up to remove toxins and a 2pages of the more common places to fish and what the problems are with the fish in them, from Mercury and PCB"S And such
MAN< scary when you think about how were ruining the water quality here, and makes me wonder what it will be like in another 20 yrs??
fish will be glowing in the dark here I guess LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That 4th Pic looks like that could be a little sketchy if the conditions weren't the best, looks like an interesting area to explore. And did you say that by riding there you are basically trespassing? If so that would never fly with my wife, "By the Book Betty" would be so stressed and apprehensive we'd never go anywhere. That was part of the reason for getting a second wheeler because it's all I can do to talk her into riding double on a one-up machine.LOL

Yes we have great fishing out here for those that like to fish. Me not so much I think that it stems from my dad working so much that when I would go with him he was content to throw his line in the water from a river bank and fall asleep. I never learned to do it properly, and what's with this catch and release business? If I'm going to take the time to go I'm keeping the dang fish!LOL No I understand for some its about the experience and the catch, my brother ties his own flies and fly fishes, He picked up a little Suzuki Ozark 250 in Excellent condition, says it will get him to his fishing holes just fine. I think if I got him up on some of the trails we ride he might be inclined to ride up to some of the mountain lakes we see to throw a line in the water.

I'm sure there's some little brookies in that creek too:smile:

Made sure we didn't get between that mama and her baby

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
It's funny you should mention that about the Road bikes, there's something about cracking that throttle and feeling the acceleration. My folks bought me a little Honda CL100 when I was in the 6th grade, kind of a little scrambler not a dirt bike nor full blown road bike the exhaust came up under the seat on the right side. It had a small rear sprocket, the speedometer went to 80 and it would do every bit of that, I rode the snot out of that thing gravel or pavement I had the throttle cracked all the way. When I was 18 bought a brand new Yamaha 750 Maxim inline 4 cylinder that bike hauled butt, I infact still have it in my shed, keep thinking about getting a full restoration on it for sentimental reasons, would probably be worth it, to me anyway. I see these new bullet bikes and would love to get on a closed course and see what if I had the guts to take it all the way up through the gears. I've watched a lot of you tube videos of guys riding them and it looks like they've got a governor that stops them at 299kmph (187mph) I'd still like to try it. At 52 I think it would be a great thrill.
I do know that if I get a bike it won't be a bullet bike, wife for sure wouldn't allow that. But this is what I'll be looking to get when that time comes, Honda Valkyrie. It's 1500cc 6 speed transmission, Goldwing motor on more of a cruiser chassis, I took this bike for a ride was doing 130 in the blink of an eye and was smooooooothee as silk:icon_ lala::icon_ lala: Was really nice just didn't have the $ at the time.
Nice CL100. I have a Candy Yellow 72 model at home that I put roughly a hundred miles on last weekend. Paid $200 USD for it a year ago with a locked up piston and it took me less than a week for it to be fully roadworthy again.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 163 Posts