Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the first day in ages my wife and I have been kid free in about 5 years.. She is really wanting to go for a ride on a local trail. It has been raining off and on all day and I am new to the ATV scene. Is it okay to ride in the rain and also the trail is a pretty decent one, but like I said I am new to this, unless the road is washed out is trail riding okay to do in these conditions? Directly after a rain I mean?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
put some rain gear on and go and ride(chest waders work well, if not too HOT hot)
riding in rain ain;t no different than washing your atv
they get wet all the time,
IF you store them indoors, if you can hose the mud off first, then won't get piles on floor in garage from it dripping off as it settled
another nice tip is, if you wash and have a leave blower, you can pretty much dry it FAST and then bring it in doors
lastly, a GREAT tool to have handy is an exhaust plug, for washing, and or storing(keeps mice out)

I have several of these, last a long time, JUST remember to remove before riding again LOL

FMF Racing Exhaust Wash Plug with Streamer Black for 4 Stroke | eBay

·
Premium Member
12,434 Posts
We just got back from a ride , it didn't rain on this one even though it was 60% chance for today , I am always ready , I carry a Gor-tex military grade rain coat with me when it looks bad , put it in a 2 gallon Zip-Lock bag in the ice chest , it keeps the beverages from banging around in the chest , wife had a tube on front of her atv that the rain coat stays in ready to go ---the rain is really a pleasure , after a hard rain it fills the holes back in with run off water and dirt and the holes are not as bad after a hard rain ,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to replay after I saw all these great comments, but we went after I read these and ended up having a great time! Out of all the rides we have had so far this was by far the most fun. It rained only a small amount but the roads were saturated and there were huge puddles to go through. We never laughed so hard, or got so muddy I would say in our life haha.. Thanks for all the great advice guys! We also came across these two while on a trail covered in foliage and not a single track, which gave the wive and I quite a scare at first haha..

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Funny how getting dirty and playing in puddles can bring the kid back out of you! LOl

glad you went out and had fun, its what atv's should be, FUN!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
i love riding AFTER a rain, getting caught in it isn't so fun. I was on a ride this past weekend and had to ride 115kms about 70 miles) back to the truck while it was raining cats and dogs. I was SOAKED when I got back to the truck, there wasn't a peice of clothing on me that wasn't drenched completely. To top it all off I had to load up in the rain, and drive home about an hour and a half sitting in my soaking wet clothes lol.

I was out a few weeks ago too, this time riding right from home. Got caught in a nasty thunderstorm on the way back, didn't end up much drier at the end of that ride either.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Fish i like the idea of the ziplock bag ice chest deal, I'll have to give that a try.

·
Premium Member
12,434 Posts
Jay , the beverages take a beating in the chest , I seen they make these foam inserts for you ice chest that a can fits into and keeps them from beating around , but they cost $8 a piece and hold 6 cans , I would need 8 , so the rain jacket in a 2 gallon Zip Lock works for me

·
Registered
560 Posts
For me and my wife, riding JUST after it stops raining is the best. The coolness, the way the light is diffused through the mist or vapor, the way it makes everything look is just magnificent. The golds and the greens usually "pop" more after a rain. Lots of times the sky and the clouds in it will be bursting with colors you don't usually see or it will have light columns cascading down through the clouds. Ethereal is an accurate.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
For me and my wife, riding JUST after it stops raining is the best. The coolness, the way the light is diffused through the mist or vapor, the way it makes everything look is just magnificent. The golds and the greens usually "pop" more after a rain. Lots of times the sky and the clouds in it will be bursting with colors you don't usually see or it will have light columns cascading down through the clouds. Ethereal is an accurate.
HAHA< the way you describe things, is exactly why I like riding in the snow here, SO much more things stand out, and you get to see things at a time of yr when so many are indoors here!

when I was younger I liked riding in the rain and there after, but have to say, now older and lazier, I try to stay dry and keep the atv cleaner , the place I keep it, doesn't allow for me to park it inside when wet, so, to lazy to break out the leave blower to dry off
But fully agree, weather conditions like after a rain or a snow fall sure make for better scenery IMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts