Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No thanks - no air circulation + gasoline engine + a little methane gas = Kaboom!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i know that i woulda been freaked out in the first 5 minutes !!!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Great videos, but I would have been afraid of there being methane in there, too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually...the methane didn't really bother me...( I guess the flowing water helps) ....it was the "cave ins". You can reach right up and grab a rock off the ceiling.

I see alot of Canada on this board. I am in NJ ...US . But my wife is Canadian... (Victoria BC) ...beautiful place

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
At least you can say you done it - not really somethig I would be real eager to do, I've worked underground in too many places and now have a healthy respect for the weight of rock over my head, especially loose rock. Can't believe that the tunnel openings are so easily accessible especially in the lawsuit-happy USA, somewhere there is a huge liability there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was also amazed it wasn't "gated off" or something.

Funny story.

This was my second trip in. The first time we discovered someone had signed the wall about 1/4 mile in....dated "1969". So this trip i brought a can of spray paint. When we got to the "signing wall" I passed the can up to the lead rider. He opened the can and the tip fell off into the water. Gone !
Its dark, loud and about 1 1/2 foot of water below us. The tip is history.

Luckily I remember I had a can of carb cleaner on board with a similar nozzle.
It worked...but the tip was smaller in diameter...leaving more paint on his hands then on the wall.

So then we used the carb cleaner for hand cleaner.

Its all on video....but I edited it out...due to the language...LoL

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I would call you crazy for going, but I think it was really stupid to take your 12 year old son. I mean, your son has no idea what risks he was taking...you should think next time. Risk your life all day, that's part of everything to do with four wheeling, but taking your son down there... not too smart if you ask me!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can understand your concern

But....My 12yr old son also flies a Cessna 172.

At least on the ATV he wears a helmet

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
wow i can only tell you i have seen a few cave ins in my life and i wouldnt have walked in there just to explore if there was a cave in your video is all that would have been left to tell the story glad you all made it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Come on...the mine was solid...made of rock or something

And just in case any of you out there are "Child Protective Services"....I made a typo...the kids 21...not 12 yrs old. <Disclaimer>

Anyhow...the wife is more concerned with the "scrapple" I feed him.....then the mine shaft

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
well tacobil im not gonna give you any grief but the rock that kills is the one that looks solid. in my younger days i did the same thing i even caried sweating dinamite out of a mine shaft i repelled down into so dont take offence but i saw about 20 ton of solid rock cieling come down in a mine and then another 5 or so on the guy that was trying to put big anchors in it to stop it sometimes you cant see the cracks and it will just drop as long as you are ok with it. i wish you alot of luck if we ever ride together i will wait for you outside and ill eat the scrapple hahaha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I try to put all of that "falling rock" stuff out of my head when I enter the mine.

But what does bother me is.....the mine shaft appears to be horizontal. Water is flowing out..but its basically flat.

Wouldn't you think a horizontal shaft would lead to a..or several vertical shafts?

As long as the water flows i know I am in no danger of driving over a vertical shaft. So I put that to rest in my head as well.

But why a straight horizontal shaft ?

Does it lead to the other side ?

I want to find out.

Meet me on the other side with the scrapple

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
lol, I never said I was calling CPS on you... I just think it's dumb, even if your son flies a cessna, he didn't just grab the planes controls and take off and attempt to land. He was trained to pilot the thing... You, on the other hand, don't have any professional training to enter a mineshaft. I just think you weren't thinking, so I threw it out there. If you don't change your mind, and you do it again, I'm not going to care. I'll just nominate you for a Darwin award.

Aside from the fact that any spark could have blown you sky high, that water you were going into could have been deeper or led to another shaft underneath and the first guy leading could have been injured or died. There have been reports of the same thing in other areas of the US with mines. I just urge you to use caution, there are much more fun areas to ride in.

Near trees are really fun too! :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts