Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I've got a couple of questions for the parents out there. I was wondering what is a good safe company involving protective gear, helmet and accessories. I'm new to all of this and want to put my kids in gear that you have had success with and would recommend. Also what pieces other than a helmet and chest protector you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
maybe some goggles and some riding gloves? as far as companies that are better than another i cant help ya there but someone here will

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Look at dirt bike riding gear at Rocky Mountain ATV.
Next, follow all the rules, which have been made as a result of injuries to others'. Age? No riding double. Speed. Respect for others', etc.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hello All. I've got a couple of questions for the parents out there. I was wondering what is a good safe company involving protective gear, helmet and accessories. I'm new to all of this and want to put my kids in gear that you have had success with and would recommend. Also what pieces other than a helmet and chest protector you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance.
What's he riding

Goggles and helmet are the basics you will NEED

Gloves
Pants
Jersey
Chest protector
Boots
Neck race

Obviously you won't need all that if he is driving a little utility 4 wheeler but it helps my dad taught me to ride in jeans a shirt tennis shoes and a helmet but as you can see by my signature it was only a yamaha breeze

Check Craigslist for some cheap gear

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Minimal requirements should be helmet,goggles,chest protector,good padded gloves,and heavy duty boots to protect their ankles when they fall,or crash because they will do one,or both of them pretty quickly,and a broken ankle might skeer em off,or keep them out of doing anything else for at least a few months,if not longer...

·
Registered
231 Posts
My thoughts on this range from full on dirtbike gear with a good name brand helmet ( Bell Shoei are the best but expensive ) goggles boots gloves etc etc. A lot of the dirtbike sites ( motosport.com dennis kirk BTO.com ) always have deals and closeout specials where you can get gear about 1/2 off. As far as brands? Fox,Moose, Thor, One Industries, Answer all have great gear. Boots- Alpinestars are the best period. Goggle's can be Oakley, Smith, MSR, whatever as long as they come with replacement lenses!!! Roost protectors from Fox, Thor, Answer, Alpinstars, Leatt the list goes on. There are several neck brace companies out there with Leatt being the most popular. Ive seen these devices save someones ability to walk after a crash, they are worth having and using !!!! I know for me, I have 4 different sets of riding gear but anymore just riding the 4 wheeler Im riding in jeans and a good jacket with a helmet boots gloves and googles. I can carry my wallet, cell phone, Backwoods cigars and lighter and whatever else.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Don't spend a ton on gear that your kids will out grow in a year. As for helmets, you want anything that is DOT/SNELL approved. Every helmet sold is DOT approved. Look at those little peanut shells the street bike guys wear... those are DOT approved. The SNELL is very important. Fox, Thor, and fly all have good entry level helmets that will not break the bank. Chest protectors, will save the kid from a direct blow to the torso if and when a crash occurs, helps with roost from other machines too. Gloves; any pair of Fox, Thor, Answer, ect... They are all decent.
The pants and jersey are completely optional, they do help against scratches and stuff like that. They are a bit more durable than jeans.
As for boots, Fox, Fly,Thor, Alpinestar... again they all make a entry level boot that is not CRAZY expensive.

Alpinestar is not the best boot out there. Their Tech 10 is a great boot but it is not a Sidi Crossfire or Gaerne SG12

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Redracer
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing