Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the atv's I have ridden, not one could go over 5 mph in reverse. I'm always overrevving in reverse because of this. Anyone ever changed the max speed in reverse, on a honda geared atv? My friend said he was going 20 plus mph on a polaris this past summer.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sintro, Yes, there are a number of 'reverse override' modifications available for different Honda models. I own a Rincon and am familiar with the Rincon modification.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Is your bike an Automatic. Almost all the automatics have an Override Button. They are set to stop giving the engine gas to keep it below a certain RPM unless that button is pressed.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sintro, Yes, there are a number of 'reverse override' modifications available for different Honda models. I own a Rincon and am familiar with the Rincon modification.
I plan on doing it to my Rincon and 700XX soon. With the Rincon, there is a "plug and play" module available to purchase somewhere online, and all you have to do is flip a switch and you can either use the override or use the rev limiter.

·
Registered
665 Posts
why do you want to go over 5 mph in reverse ........
i know that on the foreman 400 and 450 it is geared way low but if i wanted to go 8 to 10mph it could (atleast before my gear reduction )

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's really not a great idea to go all that fast in reverse. The caster on the front wheels will make things really squirrelly after about 10mph. Not sure which ATV you have. If it's a manual transmission, you're out of luck - you'll be limited by the gear ratio. Like others have said, some of the new automatics will allow you to go faster. Not sure why you'd want to, though.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
x2, unless you've got a belt drive your pretty limited. On most models the steering geometry won't let you make it over 15 anyways without going into a "death wobble". My 400 is the first bike I've had that'll do any decent speed in reverse. With the comet clutch it will do nearly 30 if you brace your elbows and don't look back, lol. No chance of turning or coming to a quick stop... More of a party trick to show off with the riding buddies on the fields...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know you can change the reverse speed on the cvt's. Seems somewhat simple to do it on them too. Though without changing the ratios on a geared atv, it's impossible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts