Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does removing the R button make it easier to get reverse, I bought a new handle with the button and it worked for a while but now I am having difficultly getting the lockout engaged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I jst did a search on this problem and will try the suggested solutions. Sorry for not searching first but I didn't see the search button.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
you prob wont get much help from here, least not a fast response ?, most of us dont answer questions anymore, we moved on..lol. but I can tell you, the red button on the lever is only part of operating the reverse.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Does removing the R button make it easier to get reverse, I bought a new handle with the button and it worked for a while but now I am having difficultly getting the lockout engaged.
Did you buy an OEM part for your model?
I wouldn’t say those engagement tolerances are tight but i had to lube mine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you buy an OEM part for your model?
I wouldn’t say those engagement tolerances are tight but i had to lube mine
After market part. The reverse lever is a little loose and the button either doesn't engage or sometimes slips out. I think I'll remove the button and see if that helps or I'll take the button out and just bolt the thing to the brake handle as someone suggested.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
After market part. The reverse lever is a little loose and the button either doesn't engage or sometimes slips out. I think I'll remove the button and see if that helps or I'll take the button out and just bolt the thing to the brake handle as someone suggested.
I bought a new OEM replacement and recommend you do as well.
The suggestion to put a bolt through it to permanently disable the safety feature is terrible. Imagine this rider rocking down a hill—feathering the brakes and ready to transition to a steep climb. Rider starts downshifting and BAM right into reverse. transmission explodes in the case. The quad is now undriveable. He starts walking back to deer camp and get attacked and eaten by a bear.

Chalk it up to a lesson on how aftermarket parts can compromise the reliability and performance of a great machine and lead to you getting eaten by a bear lol!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goober is right get an OEM setup.. You won’t regret it as it will work as engineered.
I have arthritis in that finger which is part of my problem also. I get the point but I only use it to plow and do things around the house. I'll try just removing the plastic button first and leaving the metal part there. Thanks for the replies. I'll reply with my success or ultimate fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have arthritis in that finger which is part of my problem also. I get the point but I only use it to plow and do things around the house. I'll try just removing the plastic button first and leaving the metal part there. Thanks for the replies. I'll reply with my success or ultimate fix.
The problem is reverse "lever" is a little loose and the hole in it is worn and needs to be replaced. I'll see if I can find one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found genuine honda part and ordered it partzilla.com.
Final update. I bought the brake lever(old was badly worn) and another handle. I forced the button assembly out and reinstalled it on the bottom side of the handle and reinstalled it on the handle bar with the button in the reverse brake handle and now have reverse lockout when ever I pull on the brake. Works great and my index finger is no longer sore from pushing the button down.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wedged a small piece of rubber behind the leaver and don't even have to squeeze the brakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts