Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

The wife is having issues using the reverse/brake lever combo to get into reverse.

It seems her hand isn't long or strong enough to do the combo levers and the down shift button all at once...

It's a 2017 rubicon auto shift.

Any ideas, options ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is ways to bypass the reverse button, look it up on YouTube.
One way is to adjust the cable, there is a few different ways, all of them do the same thing, that is to always be pulling up on the cable

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I don't know how a Rubicon is set up , as many people I know who have ayv's , I don't know anyone rides one of those -------- I have the reverse lever by-passed a couple of different ways on my 300's , like said one is to adjust the cable , my blue one I like the best , the guy I got it from had put a tack weld on the button after it was depressed , so now all I do is pull the brake lever

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Would the old style button be easier for her or same thing? They can be converted back and forth I’ve done that. Or just bypass it. Maybe drill a hole through the lever and put a screw through it into the brake lever? So you just need to pull the brake lever to get into reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I cut a small piece of rubber and made a wedge, pulled the handle to engage reverse and wedged it open, I don't have to touch the back brake at all to put it into reverse now, and at anytime I let someone else take my bike, it takes 2 seconds to pull the rubber out, so they can't jam it into reverse.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goober and Shadowed

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Yes you install the wedge on the bottom side, and it doesn't interfere with the brakes at all, you can use anything for the wedge, I just had an old rubber mat i trimed a piece off.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Oh yeah the parking brake is integrated with the reverse lever, guess you couldn’t really fix the lever to the handle without disabling the parking brake at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: This is what I been using on a lot of Honda ATV'S

Attachments

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new Rubicon shouldnt go into reverse without the machine stopped anyway, so if you just tighten the cable so you dont need to pull it, it should be safe.
The cable for the reverse lever... I didn't get a chance to look, I haven't been back home yet, is the adjustment down at the transmission end of the cable?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
The new Rubicon shouldnt go into reverse without the machine stopped anyway, so if you just tighten the cable so you dont need to pull it, it should be safe.
The cable for the reverse lever... I didn't get a chance to look, I haven't been back home yet, is the adjustment down at the transmission end of the cable?
The cable adjustment is on the handle bar, I'm waiting untill my warranty runs out before I make my mod a permanent thing, don't want to have a problem and the dealer tell me it's not covered cause I changed something.

Reactions: Shadowed

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I have the same as what melatv posted, minus the cable hole and slot, I have mine squished on the bottom under the cable so it can be taken out easly, and it has yet to fall out or move in the 2 months running it this way...

The only problem is that over a long period of not being moved your reverse cable has a chance to lock up and become useless. A more permanent fix would be at the tranny so the cable can be removed completely.

Reactions: Shadowed
1 - 14 of 14 Posts