Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' 4x4 fourtrax manual shift that has been sitting for the last 7+years. We couldn't get the rear tires to move at all and then we decided to pull the rear brakes, where we found the rear pads stuck to the drum. Question is below are pics of the drum before and after some cleaning, should i reuse it or look for replacement?
If you can zoom in then you can see it's pretty rough inside and out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
from what I can see, it looks like it still can be used. take a dremel, with a grinding stone, run it around the inside where the shoes ride, knock that crud off, should clean up good, that's if the lining isn't too far gone ?.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Reuse it. Bead blast it first if you want. The problem with these is nobody drains the water out after a ride and they fill up with the most awful smelling muck imaginable.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
324 Posts
Measure for out of round also, the best way to clean it up would be in a lathe. I'm sure you could get this to work, but remember you can buy a brand new aftermarket one for like $80 or less, so I wouldn't spend a ton of time on it.
Myself, I'd buy new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, the main thing i was worried about was it sitting with the water/mud never being drained out and the integrity of the steel now. I'll see if i can find a new/replacement as well, but will see if i can clean up this one.

Are the backing plates hard to find for them as well, there is a chunk missing out of the one that is on there, obviously can't keep it on there. Would i be able to use one from an 02 rancher? i see a little bit of difference on how the cables are held but didn't look too much into it.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Thanks everyone, the main thing i was worried about was it sitting with the water/mud never being drained out and the integrity of the steel now. I'll see if i can find a new/replacement as well, but will see if i can clean up this one.

Are the backing plates hard to find for them as well, there is a chunk missing out of the one that is on there, obviously can't keep it on there. Would i be able to use one from an 02 rancher? i see a little bit of difference on how the cables are held but didn't look too much into it.
I'm not going to say it's impossible having never tried it, but the entire brake assembly on the Rancher is different so I'm leaning towards no. Backing plates for the 300's are also available as new aftermarket...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll hit it some more with the wire wheel, dremel and see how it comes out.

I was only thinking of the back plate from the 02 rancher since i have one sitting in the garage that may end up getting parted out.

lol optional rear brakes! haha jk,

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
I would take it to someone for media blast then to machine shop for turning. Check your thickness to make sure it is still within spec should be able to reuse it

Will look like new

1 - 13 of 13 Posts