Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
search botton, an PM

i was trying to PM samuk about search engines that dont think, on this site. SamUK, is not known here.
also,, sometimes the search button is not there, other times, its google, with the blue icon, other times its the old red icon with the magnifying glass, or no search there at all. on the times that the old red icon shows up, usually this place runs better.. just an observation.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
im not sure either. sometimes search is there, sometimes its not. it does seem to be the last thing that loads. perhaps i am timing out to fast in firefox.. i need to check my time out settings in firefox to make sure they are correct. satellite Internet is kinda wanky anyway. this satellite points at a big tree, not an open sky. some installers,, go figure!!:sad

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
i enable hondaatvforums.net, and ajax.googleapis.com. and have for a long time. tonight the blue G button showed up. no place to type in search.
when i hover the mouse pointer over it, i have the option, to point to the blue V button. if i click on the g button, nothing happens, when i click on the V button, i can type in a search. i'll let you know if something shows up important, more that that.
the red button, was a red square that was over to the right, in the black bar at the near top of the page. the 1st word in the black bar is HOME, the 2nd word in the black bar is FORUMS. the 3rd word in the black bar is ACTIVE TOPICS.. the red button, when i clicked on it would take me to search, plus it does seem, that i am missing, some facts. i think that button aint always all the way over to the right, sometimes it has a place to type beside it, to type your search, or go advanced..
sorry i cant explain it any better. i get back to you later on this, when i can explain better...

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
@LedFTed,

Google search option will not work while various google domains are being blocked by Noscript. And if you choose the native VB search option from the dropdown rather than the google search option, some of the forum menu functions and many/most member uploaded images in recent threads may randomly disappear. You may also lose the ability to post replys or start new threads without the server disappearing your text & images each time you punch the submit button.

So your best option in that case is don't attempt to ever use the site search function. Use the New Posts menu instead. Unfortunately, the hierarchic PHP code structure necessary for the forum software to function was completely destroyed over time by amateurs that modify it for 3rd party parasite access. It won't be fixed no matter how many screenshots you provide.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Can you screenshot this red button X issue? I need to see it and show tech.
it wast an X, it was a magnifying glass symbol. today it showed up till i signed in...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
That magnifying glass search icon is normal , when your viewing the forums in full mode, but not in classic mode (very bottom all the way to the left, you can change views, it's classic for me..... That's how my view is here in full, (signed in, or not)

the red button, when i clicked on it would take me to search
Correct! ^^^^^^It's the forums search icon, for full view

·
Registered
463 Posts
@LedFTed,

Google search option will not work while various google domains are being blocked by Noscript. And if you choose the native VB search option from the dropdown rather than the google search option, some of the forum menu functions and many/most member uploaded images in recent threads may randomly disappear. You may also lose the ability to post replys or start new threads without the server disappearing your text & images each time you punch the submit button.

So your best option in that case is don't attempt to ever use the site search function. Use the New Posts menu instead. Unfortunately, the hierarchic PHP code structure necessary for the forum software to function was completely destroyed over time by amateurs that modify it for 3rd party parasite access. It won't be fixed no matter how many screenshots you provide.
To clarify, Google search is being phased out by Google, so using the vb search is always a better option.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. The forum is not destroyed, nor does the vb search cause any function or posts to go missing.

If you are dealing with a specific problem, provide specifics and we'll look into it.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
What I was explaining is that Noscript screws up menu and search functions when google domains are blocked. The forum menus and search work fine with either VB search or Google search activated, but once the user blocks google domains neither of the search options work right.

If the user switches to the VB search option after login, while google is blocked, some of the menu functions go wonky, images recently posted in threads may disappear (leaving an empty DIV containing a link to the image that don't work) and post submissions may hang/be dropped. Menus are not statically linked to categories/pages etc.. they are coded to use the search function to find the desired menu item clicked. Noscript breaks them... apparently by interfering with, or hanging javascript/ajax scripts.

The workaround for that is to leave the default google search dropdown alone and don't try to use search while google domains are blocked. Then everything works except for search. At least that has been my experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
I've not turned off Noscript and refuse to. I was explaining how to live with Noscript on this site while all google domains (there are several of them) are being blocked. I was not reporting a problem in other words... its normal and expected behavior. Thanks for trying to help though!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
That magnifying glass search icon is normal , when your viewing the forums in full mode, but not in classic mode (very bottom all the way to the left, you can change views, it's classic for me..... That's how my view is here in full, (signed in, or not)

i was told to switch because of a different problem i was having.. how do i get back to where i can change it? having a cookie blocker might be stopping me, form seeing it. dont know.. i was using NoScript before the other problem i had. Why do you prefer classic mode Jay? [never-mind,, getting back to classic, answered all]

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
when i just posted to Wilson, post froze up. i hit the back button, [firefox back button], then run it through again, the post took. of course i forgot to take a picture.. twas in the moment.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
(VERY bottom all the way to the left, you can change views
it's a drop down button you may have been viewing the forums in mobile mode? but i switched over, And NOW I'm having the same issue as fish, 3 wipe outs......

That is why I use classic ^^

·
Registered
463 Posts
I escalated this up an were looking into it as I posted in the other thread. Any scrap of info you can get me is helpful.

Browser/OS/device - Are you using mobile? Which skin? Desktop of enhanced?

What and where were you posting? What time of day/night? Is it always around the same time? What happened just before.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

i refound that today. im in full mode.. it wouldnt show up before. when i was loking at new posts, there it was. for me its not on every page.. i'll try classic an see where that gets me.. thanks

41 - 60 of 128 Posts