Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,192 Posts
welllllllllll, I for one am too getting the likes, click on it, and it takes me to my profile page, and I can click on them from there, sooooo..still must be broken from all these changes ?!, SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CHANGE TAKES PLACE ?....THINGS BREAK, AND NEVER WORK RIGHT !..LMFAO. ( unless it's broken ?..DON'T FIX IT ).

·
Registered
463 Posts
For the login issues, this could be an issue with GDCP/UK privacy laws changing how cookies operate, when was the last time you cleared cache and cookies and used the remember me box when logging in?
@shadetree - SSL and GDCP/UK cookie changes are mandatory. There is no "If its not broke dont fix it". It's required and in place. The issues are being looked into.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
links

Great! I got another question for ya Ed. By any chance are you sometimes opening another browser window (or tab) in Private browsing mode? Doing so bypasses your session cookie so you won't be logged in while that new Private window or tab is being used. If you aren't doing that ignore this question...

I also have occasional problems here late at night. A couple nights ago I was being logged out every time I clicked on something, so I just left and read another forum. Now tonight, I've noticed no new issues here. But lets face it... this place is an unsecured mess. We may have to learn to live with it.
tonight i was on 1st hard drive with windows. i logged in. when i open a new page here in a new link, i wasnt logged in, or when i did a reply, same thing.
now i am on linux 2nd hard drive and things are working like they should. i dont want to admit it could be me, but, i never went past Internet explorer 8 on 1st hard drive. i had problems with windows 7. they scrambled things, with out much instruction. it also looked like an invasion of privacy.
i could be wrong, wrong is a practice i keep, so i might learn things. //just ed

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Check your browser settings on your windows drive. It sounds like opening a new browser window starts a new browsing session rather than continuing on from your current session. Your login & session cookies are not valid across multiple sessions, although they are still read-able. You might be able to fix that by poking around a bit in your browser preferences. The operating system type has nothing to do with this issue, its a browser thing...

It sounds like you are concerned with your right to privacy, which is admirable. Its a lot of hard work as you can see... have fun with it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're running IE8 on your computer? or did I misread that?

If so, you need to update atleast to the newest version, or use Chrome/Firefox as Microsoft has stopped functionality support updates.
just on windows XP, 1st hard drive. it wouldn't upgrade IE8.. i couldnt understand windows 7. it was scrambled. thats why i got into lubuntu, an learned how to run it on a 2nd hard drive. You did read it correctly...
i dont get spam mail. not that it has to do with this subject, and havent in many years plus. i am soo concerned with security. firefox is dropping support for XP, and no wonder. that is why i went to linux. i have seen the writing on the wall, for many years, just stretched XP to the end. now i think its done. an then some.. i milked that cow from 2002. good cow. kicked me many a time with the milk bucket. so it goes. my version of linux, it stays updated. getting to move to lubuntu 18.04 LTS. still have a while, with 16.04 version LTS.
i think i'm still throwing my cards right, when it comes to these later problems. there could be a joker in the deck i dont think its me. Got the latest version of firefox, on both drives, plus use noscript, an a few others. i am leary of trackers. things are going to 64bit soon. time to get prepared. kbs wont mean a thing as far as uploads, or down loads. nuff said for the moment. //Ed

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It sounds like you are concerned with your right to privacy, which is admirable. Its a lot of hard work as you can see... have fun with it. :)
right to privacy, is a hard row to hoe... bears good fruit, an well worth it:grin

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Check your browser settings on your windows drive.
i have to try this out. i dont think i changed any browser settings, though the browser has changed with updates over the years. sometimes better, sometimes not so much. such is progress.:wink

·
Registered
463 Posts
IE8 is an issue as theres nothing we can do to fix those function issues. Firefox should act fine here apart from the image issues.

I dont have much experience with Ubuntu/Linux. I was working on building a rig for it as I was doing some research on PEN testing but apart from that I have had Windows since the early 90's.

I havent used XP in a long time. IIRC didnt they offer the upgrade to Windows 10 for free at one point? Or was that only for 7.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
IE8 is an issue as theres nothing we can do to fix those function issues. Firefox should act fine here apart from the image issues.

I dont have much experience with Ubuntu/Linux. I was working on building a rig for it as I was doing some research on PEN testing but apart from that I have had Windows since the early 90's.

I havent used XP in a long time. IIRC didnt they offer the upgrade to Windows 10 for free at one point? Or was that only for 7.
I think your right, they did offer the upgrade but only for a short time

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

I think your right, they did offer the upgrade but only for a short time
i think the upgrade, was from windows 7 up.. how even it was not for OEM, or a non-bought version, of Windows.. the PC you buy in the store, comes with windows, however, its the store bought version, so you do not have many rights. linux is still free, but you have to learn new things.
linux has many versions that are user friendly, even to windows people. if i can learn it, anyone can.. my PC is probable 2002-2004 model, 32 bit. it was before, people knew even of Mb's. now we are getting into Tb's. im much surprised, that the battery with the old motherboard hasnt conked out, after so many years, or capacitors still work, still work on those old motherboards. tis time to move on. Linux forums got more support than Microsoft ever dreamed of. funny how that works. one forum dont want you to know, the other wants you to share ideals. guess which one is the free forum. nuff said..:smile

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ie 8

i dont think that is the issue, thought it very well should be. i wonder what version of IE that they have now.
i have changed to Linux, an intend to use it here. its updated, without having to pay, except for ever so often, you might have learn..:wink

·
Registered
463 Posts

i dont think that is the issue, thought it very well should be. i wonder what version of IE that they have now.
i have changed to Linux, an intend to use it here. its updated, without having to pay, except for ever so often, you might have learn..:wink
IE 11 now. However they stopped functionality updates for it and are only performing basic security updates. This means that if IE stops working on a site, but Chrome/Firefox does, then its with the browser itself and were very limited to what we can do to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
support

Firefox is stopping support for XP, 8/30/18, just before september this year. time to leave windows for me. i ran this vehicle to the end. [actually the vehicle is still running, it just cant make the new seatbelt law][like my 55 chevy truck]. still gets good mileage per gallon.

when you think about it gas mileage hasn't changed much. people are still getting 14-16 mpg.
i got 27-28 with the 85 ford ranger, pulling a loaded john boat.
electronics, runs in a parallel
welp, im quiting for i dig a hole. //Ed

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Goose; if you want to play around with linux, it has been getting bigger. pentium4 or higher has been suggested with many forms of linux, some 2 GBs of memory, or higher. there are still smaller versions, that run with less requirements. you can also run it with a dvd, or thumb drive, and not install it. just saying. ubuntu is far too google friendly for me, so i use no-script, and other blockers.
im just not so much on social media, an rather be a hermit, when it comes to sharing, with out asking.. i.e. i share my stuff without knowing that i am... Oh Well, nuff said

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
reply to topic, an other b/s stuff

Hey Goose;
i was sure i signed in. i went to start a new thread.. then i found out i wasnt signed in. i had already wrote a few lines.
when i did sign in, everything i wrote disappeared. could it be a, allow cookie thing,.
i had walked to the neighbors house, for i got to the neighbors house, the sciatica thing had already kicked in, so the walk back was longer. wernt much over a 1/4 mile, both ways.
sooo
is this the problem i have i have writing, when i some times are not signed in?? not the walking part, but making sure i got the proper cookies on?
i was using linux this time, so, its not an old XP, IE8, thingie.
the version of linux i got is for very old machines, yet i dont think this is the problem.. //Ed

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
When moving from logged out to in, it wont save what you type in the message box. You need to make sure to only type a reply when you're logged in.

A few fixed went through this weekend. How are things so far?
ah wont know till later.. however, i log in at this site site, and sometimes, i switch to a different forum, im no longer logged in. i should be, but so, i aint. clear skies tonight, this may make a difference. maybe not. sat Internet is governed by different rules, cable runs in different channels. plus dish installed this, an they parked the dish in the winter, when the large tree, didnt have leaves. the guy that installed this, was going nuts. i told him he should quit an come back on a different day.
its best when people are flipping out, to give them a way out in a calm voice, an get them the el out. he quit, an im glad E left, before the postal stage. i dont know where he was before E got here, but i do know, other people can drive you into places, you dont want to be.
the strange thing is, when you go off, they dont seem to understand this. pushing pushing pushing.. you can warn those, not much point..
seems i got off on a tangent. sorry for that. opp's:angel

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Clear cache and cookies and ensure youre using HTTPS in the address bar. Typing the site name in the URL bar may be bringing up and old history and using the HTTP site. Ensure all bookmarks are HTTPS.
Thanks for all reply's; i had also some figured, too be signed in, before you reply. while being worse in the obscure XP version, when i posted, this site can do it on occasion.. on the linux hard drive even the windows drive, i have been using bookmarks, to sign in. plus noscript on both hard drives, to where i try to only use HTTPS, while allowing cookies. pages, i went to here, only forgot i was signed in just a few times, lately with 2nd hd linux..
i will have to get back to you later for progress report. NRN no reply needed, as yet..

21 - 40 of 128 Posts