Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to replace ball joints in a 400ex without replacing the arm? Do these press out? If the do where is a good pace to buy them from? Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
No, I think you can't change just the balljoints on the 400EX, you have to replace the whole a-arm.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You have to buy the a-arm the ball joints are non serviceable, crappy design on Hondas part.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang I figured as much. I though about cutting the ends of and making it adjustable, but it would be cheaper to ebay it for some used ones. I bought a 300ex with 400 arms and the left side is so wore out , you can pick up the front end of the ground about a inch and the tire doesnt leave the ground on that side.lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what are the tricks to replacing aftermarket a-arm balljoints? I dont know what kind I have (+2 is all i know) but they are shot and I dont know where to start looking for new ones or what the tricks are to swappming them out

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what are the tricks to replacing aftermarket a-arm balljoints? I dont know what kind I have (+2 is all i know) but they are shot and I dont know where to start looking for new ones or what the tricks are to swappming them out
Depends on what kind you have, on my Leagers on the upper a-arm you remove the big nut on the inside or the arm and pull it out, on the bottom you remove the bolt and washer and pull it out. but you have to get the shaft of the ball joint out of the spindel mount, i usually loosen the nut and give a couple good licks to the side of the spindel where the shaft of the ball joint goes through you will know when it comes loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts