Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the gas tank in my 87 trx350 the old one was like Swiss cheese, Very rusted out. I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the fuel filter and gas lines. Cleaned out the OEM fuel pump and tested it (works). I bought an IMS gas tank off amazon ($269) came with copper in tank pick-up lines, gas cap and new o ring for petcock. It fit right in using the old tank brackets. The new tank did not have screens on the ends of the fuel pick up lines in the tank. I ordered the two fuel screens off amazon. Over all a little over $300 to fix the fuel system on this quad. It had been sitting for 15 years, there was no saving the metal gas tank that was in it. Believe me, I tried. But i want a good reliable running quad so I spent the money to do it right. Long story short is, I picked this quad up a couple months ago for $400. It had been sitting for 15 years under a tarp in a guys outbuilding. I have put a lot of hours into fixing it up, the tank was the last piece to the puzzle that I needed to have it back in working condition again. Heck of a nice quad, I got super lucky scoring this deal. I have a newer Honda rancher and to my surprise, find this older Honda more fun to ride. And the build quality on it isn’t amazing. Sure wish they still built them this way. Anyways, this is my first real post on this forum. Just thought I would share about a common problem with these older quads, rusted gas tanks. IMS makes a quality replacement tank. Yes it’s costly but in my opinion worth the money.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
well done !!. your right, they do not make these models like todays models. my '89 trx350D foreman 4x4 is a collectors item to me.

Reactions: SamUK and _Wilson_

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Very good looking 87 Foreman
Don’t see them like yours often enough! And it takes a lot to get them this way. You oughta consider putting it up for ATV of the Month for December
Just get a buncha Chili Pepper tanks up there lol and maybe some Blues too!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the fuel display gauge still work with this tank?
Yes, but you will have to remove the gauge from the old tank and instal it on the new tank. The new tank has the preset bolts to instal it BUT, you will have to measure and cut the hole yourself. I decided to NOT do this. Being I just paid almost $300 for a new tank I was not going to risk destroying it by cutting into it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple pictures of the gas gauge from the original tank, not difficult to remove and I am sure it would be easy to instal on the new tank given there are pre-set screws in the tank. Just could not bring myself to cut a hole in the new tank.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I wish I would have seen this about a week ago ?!!, I had to buy a sending unit off ebay, spent wayyyyyyyyyy more than I wanted. these units are solid gold bro..you better drill the tank, and use it, or..list it for sale, and re-cupe some of your money back on this build.

Reactions: GAR

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, pulled the tank out this morning and installed it. Sometimes you just have to do things the hard way....Would have been much smarter to do it initially. It was pretty simple to do, I just cringed a bit with the initial cut into this $300 part. I kept hearing voices in my head “don’t $uck it up”....LOL
I was 90% done with the quad before I joined this group. I wish I would have taken pictures documented the progress of this project but I didn’t. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading over posts and looking at the pictures shared. I am pretty handy in the garage but there are some guys on this site that have the skill not only to fix these machines but to teach other how to as well, teaching is a skill I have yet to master. And yes there are some people that don’t know what there talking about but by being on sites like this they will learn. I think this is a great site, I have read a few posts about the decline of this site but being I was not on it until recently I can only say it has and dose serve the purpose I was hoping it would. For me to gain more knowledge about Honda atv repair, find more areas to take my quads to ride and to share my own experiences.

Hay it was you guys that influenced me into taking the tank back out and finishing what I should have done in the first place. You guys wanted my sending unit and I was like, “I am an idiot just install it”......ha ha ha.

Anyways, thanks to all that post and comment on this site. After all it’s the members that make a site good. Keep sharing your story’s, repairs and experiences. Maybe one of us should start a funny thread. I am sure a lot of you have some funny messed up ATV pictures and story’s.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Ok, pulled the tank out this morning and installed it. Sometimes you just have to do things the hard way....Would have been much smarter to do it initially. It was pretty simple to do, I just cringed a bit with the initial cut into this $300 part. I kept hearing voices in my head “don’t $uck it up”....LOL
I was 90% done with the quad before I joined this group. I wish I would have taken pictures documented the progress of this project but I didn’t. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading over posts and looking at the pictures shared. I am pretty handy in the garage but there are some guys on this site that have the skill not only to fix these machines but to teach other how to as well, teaching is a skill I have yet to master. And yes there are some people that don’t know what there talking about but by being on sites like this they will learn. I think this is a great site, I have read a few posts about the decline of this site but being I was not on it until recently I can only say it has and dose serve the purpose I was hoping it would. For me to gain more knowledge about Honda atv repair, find more areas to take my quads to ride and to share my own experiences.

Hay it was you guys that influenced me into taking the tank back out and finishing what I should have done in the first place. You guys wanted my sending unit and I was like, “I am an idiot just install it”......ha ha ha.

Anyways, thanks to all that post and comment on this site. After all it’s the members that make a site good. Keep sharing your story’s, repairs and experiences. Maybe one of us should start a funny thread. I am sure a lot of you have some funny messed up ATV pictures and story’s. View attachment 149504
well, your right on most of what you posted ^^^, but !!!, it was US old timers that made this site what it WAS ?, its no where near what it was 10 years ago, all us old timers tried to tell these folks, leave it the hell alone, and roll with it !. did they listen ?. NO !!. they wanted to draw in money from stupid ad's that had NOTHING to do with atvs !. sooooo, us old timers said to heck with this, we'll make our on site, ad free !, we are slowly building, one day, we will be bigger than this site. ask yourself this, what good is a site, if it does not have great members that know these machines inside out ?. I'LL TELL YA..NOTHING !!!.

Reactions: GAR
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.