Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, new to the forum and ATVs, but someone just gave me a 2002 Foreman 400 (and a Rubicon 500, but that's on the back burner until I get the 400 running). They both sat up for a while, so I'm going through oil changes, carb cleaning, etc to try to get them back up and running.

The shifter screw is broken in place, but the shifter moves very freely front to back, but will not pull off. I'm not sure why it would move one way, but not the other. Is there a trick or something obvious I am missing? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
If a portion of the broken off bolt in the shifter lever remains that shift lever will not pull off. The broken bolt shaft must be removed completely from the splines area in the lever. So you may have to drill it out... at least to a depth where the remaining bolt shaft does not interfere with the splines on the shifter shaft. Once you get the lever off you can finish drilling it out and re-tap those threads to accept a new bolt.

·
Super Moderator
4,816 Posts
@retro has given spot on advice and the correct procedure above on how to remove it and salvage the original shifter however, you can always cut it off carefully and replace the shifter.

If the shifter has been loose for a while the splines stand a chance of being badly worn so replacing the shifter may be inevitable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts