Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how to successfully remove the oxidation that builds up on the plastic? Having a hard time finding something that really works. Tried everything from Mothers back to black , to simple green, vinegar and water, cleaners that claim to remove it , but dont, tried pretty much everything I could find, had a little luck with Mothers back to black, but the oxidation comes back after a couple washes, so it does not remove it.
Any suggestions as to something that actually takes it off the black plastic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I use Mcquiar's supreme interior detail cleaner. Can be purchased at places like Walmart for $4-5. It works well, but yeah you have to reapply it after every wash, to make it all shiny and return to its natural color. There are lots of videos online, using a heat gun and scrapping the plastic down a layer, but I'm not gonna try that method. My 08 Trx700xx side covers go from a grayish white to shiny black, by simply wiping it down with the Mcquiars.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm thinking it's not oxidation.

Plastic is a petroleum product. I'm thinking the sun dries it out. It needs some moisture, or oil.

Sure enough, there is a guy on the internet that uses WD 40 on his. Looks good, I don't know how long it lasts.

I'm wondering if there are some oil type products available that would.

I'm thinking it may not be something 'on' your plastic, but something gone from it.
dc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used the Megs, thinkin of tryin the heat gun method on some older plastic parts, been playin with it a little and its-kind of blotchy so trying to do it evenly and perfect a method with it, keep you all posted on working out a way that will bring plastic back to nice finish. I think the point about it losing something like oils, etc is spot on!!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
@Noreaster

You could always try a skin or a wrap, for a nice fresh look.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
For the purpose of preventing fading, or sun damage, or drying out of my plastic, I put wax on it. I use a wax with uv protection. It's only a year old, so I don't know if it works yet, or not.

But it has worked on motorcycles I have owned which have a lot of plastic faring.
dc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts