Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys have ever installed a remote oil cooler on an older 4wheeler mine is a 91 250X I have an external oil cooler off a 05 250EX i think I could mount it but I wasn't sure if the oilpump could handle that much circulation? If any one knows if this is possible please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
An oil pump doesn't care how much fluid there is in a cooler for it to circulate, it just cares about circulating it. It should draw the oil fromt he cooler and pump it through the motor and back into the cooler. So as long as the cooler is large enough to hold the right amount of fluid, there shouldn't be a problem. Thats just my theory on it though.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know the 250EX and the 400 EX have the external oil tank I wasn't sure if the oil pumps were a different volume output or not? I'm just not sure about the bottom end with mine it is submersed in oil you fill the engine with the 250EX and 400EX you fill the tank. I may just try to run a cooler instead of the oil tank? Thanks for the input

·
Registered
195 Posts
if there are parts submursed in the oil tank, then I wouldn't mess with it. If you add in a cooler, you could cause the tank to become too filled and up oil up through the rings causing more damage than good.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I optioned not to add the external tank like the newer models. But I think I may add the cooler all your doing there is passing fluid through a radiator type set-up so the oil level shouldn't change. I'm still on the fence about it though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Adding a cooler would be perfectly fine. The tank could cause you problems like you said.

Is the motor/oil really getting that hot?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it's not getting un Godly hot my lower engine temp is around 215 I think and it gradually gets hotter as you go up towards the top of the engine, I need to check that agian. It wasn't too bad though, but adding an external cooler would definitely help with keeping the oil from breaking down so fast and help the bike run a little cooler.
Are we the only two on this forum?? LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts