Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:icon_question:I dont know much about my recon ,got it used ,no manuel.I didn't know about the final rear gear oil!!!!!And it is almost dry and and wont shift....Have I messed it up ???Please help!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you mean the differential, I don't see that causing shifting problems, but I recommend you find a manual for it and go ahead and spring for a service manual too. Well worth the cost of admission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
recon250

just filled the rear gear(differential)? with sae 80 and it is still slipping and not catching the gears~~~~~!!!!!What now?I am not aautomotive inclined,naturally but can learn...Do I need a new rear Final gear case????Differential???PLease help....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Explain what the problem is....you say it's not catching. What's not catching? You need to be more specific about the failure conditions and how the machine is acting or sounding, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
honda recon250

It goes in gear but wont move ,there is a grinding noise or slipping noise in the back rear gear case.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ah. Well, then it sounds to me like the differential is toast, but I'm not completely certain. Perhaps not having oil in the diff is a good indicator, but someone else will be along to give you more guidance.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, I'd say the rear gear diff is toast. Is this a 4x4? If so, engage the front diff and see if it moves. Also, drain the oil from the rear diff. Catch it in a pan and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Run a strong magnet through the oil at the bottom of the pan. Look for shavings on the magnet. Slowly pour out the oil and look for shavings in the bottom of the pan.

You will most likely be replacing a ring and pinion gear. If you're not mechanically inclined, have it done professionally...it will require shimming, seals, bearings, etc.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Check out hondapartsnation.com, best prices that I have found. Replaced the rear diff on my 04 rincon for 350.00 plus shipping. It's not much more than replacing ring and pinion and was a whole lot less technical work. Don't know anything about the recon but should not be much different, pull the old one out put the new one in. No, I don't work for atvpartsnation, have just had good luck with them. Ya gotta pay to play!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can anyone tell me if a rear end for a 2002 honda recon 250 ex will also work on a recon tm?Please???? This 4wheeling loving granny needs help....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE=pjpopp7;61442]can anyone tell me if a rear end for a 2002 honda recon 250 ex will also work on a recon tm?Please???? This 4wheeling loving granny needs help....[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
59 Posts
The rear ends are basically the same. The EX rear end may be geared a little higher. I have one of each but I'm not sure if the difference in the gearing is all in the rear end or in the transmission. The recon has an extra bolt boss on the left hand axle tube mounting a trailer hitch. But I believe they are basically the same and should interchange. Someone else may have actual knoweledge of the swap and please correct me if I am wrong (being I have one of each it may be good to know for future referance)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts