Honda ATV Forum banner

Recon 250 (I think '92)

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Mudmannolan 
#1 ·
Ive got a buddy who's recon cut off on him. I can usually crank it and it will idle but give it much gas and it dies. It has been neglected and the air filter was GONE. I mean down to the metal part had been sucked into the carb, so i know it needs a carb rebuild. One guy suggested maybe a bad coil? What do you guys think?

Also the oil was almost dry and it woudn't even crank, but has been changed.

#3 ·
if it was just the foam from his air filter that got sucked into the motor..this won't damage the piston or rings..maybe burn it..but won't hurt them..from what i read..lack of oil will kill a motor quickly !!..rebuild the carb.

#4 ·
Also the oil was almost dry and it woudn't even crank, but has been changed.
When you say it wouldn't even crank, do you mean the engine won't turn. If so, and if it was almost dry of oil, then the engine might be seized. Will the engine turn by pulling the recoil starter?

BTW, I don't think they made a 250 Recon until 1997.

#5 ·
I dont remember the year so 90 something. The motor isnt seized, and theres no recoil starter. It would turn over, just no cigar. It now runs and idles fine, but give it gas and it doesnt like it. (sputters and dies)

#6 ·
Sounds like the carb just needs to be cleaned, then.

#7 ·
Ok thanks. What purpose does a coil have anyway?

#8 ·
The coil supplies the spark to the sparkplug.

#9 ·
ah. well its getting a spark, so carb it is.

#10 ·
if he or who ever..ran it long without much oil..more than likely your rings got alittle worn..and you got bad compression..this will make it run like the carbs are bad also..check your compression while your cleaning the carbs...it may have messed up the valves also..hard to tell until you do a compression test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.