Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was looking for a recommendation for a new Honda ATV that is good at towing? I'm in the UK/

Looking at the spec the Foreman 520 IRS PS (TRX520FM6) looks a good candidate, it has a towing capacity of 599kg.

I need an ATV I can take from my home along a single track road to another area of land 11 miles away, so it would have to be one I could drive on the road legally.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
148 Posts
If your hauling around heavy trailers the foreman SRA does better.
I have no idea if they're legal to ride on the road there, no atv is where I live.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your hauling around heavy trailers the foreman SRA does better.
I have no idea if they're legal to ride on the road there, no atv is where I live.
I can't find any info about the foreman SRA, it might not be sold in the UK, do you have any info about it?

The road legality of ATVs are quite confusing in many places, here in the UK too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here its just called a foreman.
The one with IRS is called a foreman rubicon here.
What I can't understand is how the Foreman 520 PS was a towing capacity of 384kg, but the ones with IRS have a towing capacity of 599kg even though they have the almost the same engine, how is that possible?

The specs are in the brochure at the link below, the non-IRS version has a Bore x Stroke of 96.0mm x 71mm, they IRS version has 96.0mm x 71.5mm. That 0.5mm increase in stroke surely can't explain the big increase in towing capacity?

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Go over to atvhonda.com and message SamUK. He had a 450 Foreman that was road legal. As I understand it, the UK regs are kinda weird on what's legal and what's not. He's not on very often these days but he does check in over there from time to time. He left this site with the rest of the regulars when the site owners screwed it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go over to atvhonda.com and message SamUK. He had a 450 Foreman that was road legal. As I understand it, the UK regs are kinda weird on what's legal and what's not. He's not on very often these days but he does check in over there from time to time. He left this site with the rest of the regulars when the site owners screwed it up.
Brilliant, thanks I'll go and message him.

I think rules and regulations are weird in most places for using a ATV on the road, it's better to find someone from your own place who knows situation.

I've read there are different regulations for street legality in almost every state in the USA so it must be hard there too.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
148 Posts
What I can't understand is how the Foreman 520 PS was a towing capacity of 384kg, but the ones with IRS have a towing capacity of 599kg even though they have the almost the same engine, how is that possible?
IMO the honda brochure is dead wrong on this.
The SRA deals with towing heavy loads way better than the IRS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree that the SRA is superior for towing. From my previous research, seems like tow ratings also have to do with stopping power. The SRA models come with a rear drum brake, while the IRS models have a rear disc brake. Perhaps the rear disc provides greater stopping power, and therefore raises the tow rating.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The irs tow hitch is on the frame, and the sea tow hitch is on the axel I believe

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was wondering what happened to this forum i havnt been on for a few months and its dead

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I was wondering what happened to this forum i havnt been on for a few months and its dead

The site owners went overboard with the ads, and changed the format, ignoring the members, so all the regulars and most of the mods left. Same with the foreman forum.

I lurk here occassionally, but we're all on the new board now most of the time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
VirtualScope made 4.5 million last year off ads....

·
Registered
119 Posts
The site owners went overboard with the ads, and changed the format, ignoring the members, so all the regulars and most of the mods left. Same with the foreman forum.

I lurk here occassionally, but we're all on the new board now most of the time.
I wish the new 1 was on tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Everybody goes to atvhonda.com now

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh ok. I registered there a few months ago. I get an email with updates from both forums in my emailbox at the same time. Weird.
There isn't many posts on either forum and many questions don't get answered
Both don't seem like they are being used much anymore. Too bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts