Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my stock battery in my 2011 Rancher 420.

I use my ATV to plow with a full setup from Warn, including the rotating pivot.

I also have a set of LED lights I use when plowing in the evening.

I am looking for the biggest and strongest battery that will fit into the battery compartment on my ATV. I want something that I can support the plow and the lights to be used at the same time.....without the lights dimming every time I use the winch.

Can someone give me a solid recommendation? I am looking for a recommendation with a specific model number.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Still plowing with original battery in my '07 420. Have toyed with installing a second battery in a box on the rear rack but it hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Strap a car battery on that sucker.. But the biggest ones that would fit are AGM batteries or if you want to drop some serious coin you could get those 1,000 dollar lithium batteries they have out. But operating winch uses some serious amperage so you are going to get some voltage drop and minor dimming using the winch no matter what you use.. I run a AGM Battery and used my winch in some pretty heavy pulls and it worked and recovered great.. 3 years old and going strong.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
These were the highest reviewed and best priced ones I could find when I needed a couple this past year: ThrottleX Search By Type

Looked up the model number here but purchased from Amazon, $45 ended up getting mine for. Been a few months and so far so good.

And do yourself a favor and get a battery maintainer too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Winches draw massive power if you are worried about lights dimming I would run them off a separate battery, the oem battery should do the job don't think a bigger ah battery will solve your issue but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I too don't think a larger battery will solve lights dimming, due to the fact your charging system ONLY does so much, when you draw more than its can reproduce, your going to run battery down and lights will dim
been plowing for 17 yrs , on my third battery now(last one was JUNK and didn;t last long at all, and ATV lived in a outside barn with NO power to run a tender on it)

But about 5 yrs IMO is about average life span of a battery in MY area, where we have lots of cold and then summer weather, so BIG temp swings and we all know the cold eats more power faster

I don't run any lights other than OEM's
but my lights never dim when plowing/winching at same time?

I would THINK IF you shut off OEM lights and JUST used LED's, as long as LED's are NOT HUGE light bars, there shouldn't be any real dimming going on, as LED"s draw less power than most OEM lights of like size!
when running ALL lights, that is where your going to maybe be over taxing your charging system and LOTS of use will sooner or later run the battery down , and cause the dimming of the lights!

·
Premium Member
6,549 Posts
I too don't think a larger battery will solve lights dimming, due to the fact your charging system ONLY does so much, when you draw more than its can reproduce, your going to run battery down and lights will dim
been plowing for 17 yrs , on my third battery now(last one was JUNK and didn;t last long at all, and ATV lived in a outside barn with NO power to run a tender on it)

But about 5 yrs IMO is about average life span of a battery in MY area, where we have lots of cold and then summer weather, so BIG temp swings and we all know the cold eats more power faster

I don't run any lights other than OEM's
but my lights never dim when plowing/winching at same time?

I would THINK IF you shut off OEM lights and JUST used LED's, as long as LED's are NOT HUGE light bars, there shouldn't be any real dimming going on, as LED"s draw less power than most OEM lights of like size!
when running ALL lights, that is where your going to maybe be over taxing your charging system and LOTS of use will sooner or later run the battery down , and cause the dimming of the lights!
All of this is correct. You cannot get a super battery that will fit in the stock location and do all you want it to do. You can get a car battery and strap it to the rack, but your factory charging system will not keep up with charging ANY battery with the kind of use you stated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. It seems like a much bigger battery isn't going to fully solve my problem.

My OEM battery is almost dead, and I need a replacement before the winter comes. If I go with an AGM, this one by Throttle X looks good, with more amperage than the stock Yuasa.

https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=945087221CA65C8A

I also read up a little on Lithium batteries. Do you guys recommend them? I know they have really good cranking power, but I don't know if they are going to give me the deep cycle power that I need to run my lights and my winch. Here is one I found.

Shorai Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Battery LFX18A1-BS12

So, any final recommendations??? I am probably not going to go with a huge car battery strapped to my rear rack.

Thanks very much for your help!

·
Premium Member
6,549 Posts
Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. It seems like a much bigger battery isn't going to fully solve my problem.

My OEM battery is almost dead, and I need a replacement before the winter comes. If I go with an AGM, this one by Throttle X looks good, with more amperage than the stock Yuasa.

https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=945087221CA65C8A

I also read up a little on Lithium batteries. Do you guys recommend them? I know they have really good cranking power, but I don't know if they are going to give me the deep cycle power that I need to run my lights and my winch. Here is one I found.

So, any final recommendations??? I am probably not going to go with a huge car battery strapped to my rear rack.

Get the Yuasa. Honda uses them for a reason.

I've bought a couple of the "super crank" batteries. No difference over the Yuasa and my battery tenders don't like the AGM batteries for some reason.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Get the Yuasa. Honda uses them for a reason.

I've bought a couple of the "super crank" batteries. No difference over the Yuasa and my battery tenders don't like the AGM batteries for some reason.

Isn't Yuasa agm? Don't know, but was thinking they were...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Yuasa battery is good, but it's low on amp hours, at 1.4amph vs. the some others like the Throttle X at 12amph.

I believe this should make a difference, correct?

I am intrigued by the lipo batteries mainly because of the cranking power, but I'm not sure if it will give the deep power that is required of a winch and accessories like lights.

Hmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Just look up lithium battery fires to realize that you will be riding around with a potentially lit torch under your butt.

Lithium batteries require a sophisticated recharge profile and unfortunately, our bikes don't have that capability.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No matter what you decide on still take the advice above to reduce your overall draw by turning off the stock lights and running on a single LED bar while plowing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
On the lithium ion batteries you have to look a little deeper into what you are dealing with, On a internet search you can find comparisons of 4,5,6, or more different types.
Lithium technology is coming at a fast pace, with improvements to performance and safety every day. Lead acid technology will soon be a thing of the past because of the cost (mass production is keeping the lead acid cost down now, that will be out paced when industry goes all in for a specific lithium technology), environmental concerns and weight.

What I've decided to go with was the Lithium Iron Phosphate. It is being said to be stable and have the highest storage capacity.

The BMS (Battery Management System) is what is used to match our lead acid designed charging systems to the new technology, some manufacturers include it built in to the battery and some sell it separately, I chose built in.

The charging/maintaining is also different. I bought a Schumacher eXtender that has a duel charging capabilities for lead or lithium.

If you are going lead acid the yuasa seams to be the best quality, the battery manufacturers are going thin on the plates anymore to maximize profits and to have a quicker turn around sale.

If you want to keep your lights bright, I suggest running in a lower gear to keep the RPM's up, if you look at the wattage rating for your alternator it is about 360 watts at 5,000 rpm. The lower the rpm, the lower the watts.
Also the more you discharge and how deeply, will shorten a lead acid batteries life.

If you want to consider safety, don't forget about hydrogen gas from charging lead acid and the 3.9 gallons of gasoline we all keep next to the family jewels when we ride!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the lithium ion batteries you have to look a little deeper into what you are dealing with, On a internet search you can find comparisons of 4,5,6, or more different types.
Lithium technology is coming at a fast pace, with improvements to performance and safety every day. Lead acid technology will soon be a thing of the past because of the cost (mass production is keeping the lead acid cost down now, that will be out paced when industry goes all in for a specific lithium technology), environmental concerns and weight.

What I've decided to go with was the Lithium Iron Phosphate. It is being said to be stable and have the highest storage capacity.

The BMS (Battery Management System) is what is used to match our lead acid designed charging systems to the new technology, some manufacturers include it built in to the battery and some sell it separately, I chose built in.

The charging/maintaining is also different. I bought a Schumacher eXtender that has a duel charging capabilities for lead or lithium.

If you are going lead acid the yuasa seams to be the best quality, the battery manufacturers are going thin on the plates anymore to maximize profits and to have a quicker turn around sale.

If you want to keep your lights bright, I suggest running in a lower gear to keep the RPM's up, if you look at the wattage rating for your alternator it is about 360 watts at 5,000 rpm. The lower the rpm, the lower the watts.
Also the more you discharge and how deeply, will shorten a lead acid batteries life.

If you want to consider safety, don't forget about hydrogen gas from charging lead acid and the 3.9 gallons of gasoline we all keep next to the family jewels when we ride!!!
Johnny,

Thanks for the useful information.

Would you happen to know the make and model number of the LiPo battery you purchased?

What are your thoughts on a higher amph lead acid battery? I know the quality of the Yuasa is good, but at 1.4amph, the capacity seems low.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi Polar993: The battery in your bike is a 12 AH battery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts