Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing the valve seals on my TRX 700. I was going through some heat cycles for the break in and I'm not sure if it sounds right. I was wanting someone with a more experienced ear to let me know what they think.

Furthermore, the muffler pipe gets real hot very fast during this cycle. I was wondering if this is normal for a break in?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I tried to attach a video, but it doesn't seem to want to attach.
Try again, I've had this happen on a few occasions.
You can add a video from your mobile phone (cell) pretty easily, as far as I know if on a laptop the video needs to be on YouTube or a file sharing site of some form, I don't know for sure but every video I've seen on here has been file shared prior to uploading.
I always use my iPhone, I find it quicker and easier.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
If the exhaust pipe heats up quickly, that us usually one of two things:

1 - timing is off.

2 - it's running very lean.

In either case, I would investigate first and not run the bike.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really sure what would be my next step as far as investigating. Also, since you mentioned about running lean, I also changed the air filter and air filter body. Is there anything I should change after replacing these items?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I would personally set the air/fuel mixture slightly rich whilst running in your new build, you can back it off a touch afterwards.
If you haven't altered the air/fuel since changing the air filter etc, it may indeed be getting more air than fuel and running lean. Refer to your manual for the correct setting and go with that, remember to count the turns so you know if it was lean or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This four wheeler is fuel injected, I don't think it has an air/fuel mixture screw like on a carburetor as far as I understand.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Ahh ok, I have no experience with Efi ATV's unfortunately, I'm useless to you now lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
No problem. I'd be tempted to look at the timing again before firing it up for another test run. If it doesn't sound right, it's odds on that it's not right.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
What all mods have been done to it? You may need a fuel programmer to map the fuel system for the added air your motor is taking in. They are usually set as lean as they can to meet emissions regulations from the factory so sometimes just a pipe and filter or intake mod will be enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I can tell there hasn't been any mods done to it by the previou owner. I think I figured out why it sounds so bad. For one, my oil screen was clogged. I pulled it and cleaned it up real good. Also I believe my cam chain tensioner is shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts